Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

No love for Suaalii?
    Plenty but I think he will more likely be on the wing this season. I can handle him in that centre spot too but I like his height on the wing and also I think he is at least a year away from being a top centre. The other options aren't that tall.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

No love for Suaalii?
      doubt he'd be ready for centre defensive duties at this stage .

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post

whats type of player is he ? from what ive seen he is solid , good even but not a player mentioned in aftermatch discussions just goes about his business.

i think hes fairly good defensively , not sure if has great speed ala staggs , playmaking skill ala manu etc but am generally curious .

i just dont want brad parker / dale copley mk2 parked at centre for us .
        I'm a huge Momo fan.

I think we were spoilt by having Manu and Latrell who tbh are probably the most talented centre pairing ever. That'll never happen again.

Penrith won a comp with Momo at centre. And the year before that the Storm won a comp with Brenko Lee who is very average.

Besides, I'm still a huge fan of Billy Smith who just needs luck with injury. And then there's Suaalii who may well own the position come mid season.

So we are loaded for options.

Comment

There is so much to like about Momo. Here's what Peter O'Sullivan and others say about his qualities. Bit of a read but worth it.

"I watched him play over the years and he's just the ultimate pro, Paulie – even when he was a young fella," O'Sullivan said. "We brought him into SG Ball and I clearly remember using him as an example to all the other players who were playing SG Ball and junior reps for us – the way he prepares, the way he plays. "You see he's got great shape, he's got beautiful balance, he's got very good skill, he was very coachable ... He was always going to make it, but it took him a bit longer than I thought to get there."

Anthony Barnes, the long-time Roosters junior reps coach who has nurtured the likes of Victor Radley, Latrell Mitchell, Joey Manu and countless others, was struck by a teenage Momirovski's maturity. "Very businesslike in everything he does and a good fella, but he's a sensible kid," Barnes said. "He still has a little bit of a laugh and a giggle, but he's more on the serious side. "And they're always the ones that go good, the more mature ones. The thing with him is everything is sort of straight up and down. "He runs good lines, but he just does everything right. He plays the ball, everything is at 100 per cent. It's all the little things. "He doesn't leave anything to chance. He dots all the i's, he crosses all the t's, and he gets everything right. That's him ... I don't think there'd be anybody more professional than him. "He's just got an old head on his shoulders. When you're coaching kids, it's not very often you get people come up to you and it's just like talking to an older person – they get it."

Jeff Hardy, who coached Momirovski at Endeavour Sports High School, noticed similar traits beyond his years. "Really mature, a great work ethic. Really coachable, wanted to learn, a great leader – had really good leadership qualities," Hardy said. "You could see [the talent] was there, but he developed later. As he came through, he just got better and better. They're the ones that usually kick on and have a longer career."

'He'd get belted by Jared'
          Hayden Knowles, the current head of performance at Penrith who used to work for the Roosters, knew Momirovski had the mettle to make it in the NRL before he'd debuted in the big league. He recalls watching the "skinny kid" copping repeated bumps and bruises without complaint throughout the 2017 pre-season. "He'd turn up and just train with that intensity that the Roosters were known for back then. He'd get bashed by blokes like Jared Waerea-Hargreaves," Knowles said. "I remember they'd put him in the halves sometimes on the opposing team [at training] and he'd get belted by blokes like Jared, but he just kept getting up, turning up every day. "He showed that toughness as a kid, even though he must've

The first three seasons of Momirovski's NRL career yielded only 19 games. Given an extended run in first grade, the wider rugby league community is seeing the ability that O'Sullivan – who tried to sign Momirovski to the Warriors – identified from an early age. "I know he's been at some clubs that have had some grand final success and he's played in some prelims and that, but I think he totally deserves where he's at," Knowles added. "There's a bit of a saying in footy: you get what you deserve. And he deserves it, that's for sure."

O'Sullivan echoed that statement.
          "Whatever he gets in his footy, he deserves," he said. "He's just a wonderful kid."

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
            I'm a huge Momo fan.

I think we were spoilt by having Manu and Latrell who tbh are probably the most talented centre pairing ever. That'll never happen again.

Penrith won a comp with Momo at centre. And the year before that the Storm won a comp with Brenko Lee who is very average.

Besides, I'm still a huge fan of Billy Smith who just needs luck with injury. And then there's Suaalii who may well own the position come mid season.

So we are loaded for options.
            I'm still dining out on his defensive performance (and scored a try didn't he?) in that 2018 prelim when we were missing latrell.

I'm acutally happy to see him take up the position again having more footy experience by now.

Comment

the club's bought him for three years on solid money so we're serious about him. if he can become an 80% goal kicker then every chance he'll play most of that three years in first grade.

Comment

I for one am glad Paul is back at the Roosters. The excerpts posted by Batemans are interesting and have me quietly confident he will do well back where it all began.
                "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The chooks Insta uploaded a few training flicks today - JS standing next to Momo looks huge.

Naiqama as well looks as ripped as a body could get.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyh View Post

whats type of player is he ? from what ive seen he is solid , good even but not a player mentioned in aftermatch discussions just goes about his business.

i think hes fairly good defensively , not sure if has great speed ala staggs , playmaking skill ala manu etc but am generally curious .

i just dont want brad parker / dale copley mk2 parked at centre for us .
                    he's the type of player that brings more to a club than just onfield performances. I think he will perform as an above average first grader, and will help us win a lot of games with solid attack and defence, and goal kicking, plus his versatility to play anywhere in the backline. I also think he has a great work ethic, and great off field behaviour. he is like an Aubo style, but even more skilled.

Comment

well im keen to see some more of him. some big wraps on him here .

Comment

Nice problem to have this season

Backs in consideration: Paul Momirovski, Billy Smith, Joseph Suaalii, Kevin Naiqama, Vuate Karawalevu, Moala Graham-Taufa and even Adam Keighran

Comment

Originally posted by DP1990 View Post
                          Nice problem to have this season

Backs in consideration: Paul Momirovski, Billy Smith, Joseph Suaalii, Kevin Naiqama, Vuate Karawalevu, Moala Graham-Taufa and even Adam Keighran
                          Moala yes great pick up. Him and his bro both rated very highly within the club.

Comment

Lets see how moms goes this week end...

Comment

Working...
                            X