Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS rugby has been and still is the most entertaining rugby you can watch in Australia - played in the spirit rugby is meant to be played.

sure some teams these days are poor but they don’t even play 1st anymore - go watch scots v joeys etc and those boys aren’t coddled - they play hard and open rugby - great to watch.

Comment

"sure some teams these days are poor but they don’t even play 1st anymore - go watch scots v joeys etc and those boys aren’t coddled - they play hard and open rugby - great to watch"
      Agree, Kings this yr, without this 'superkid', still belted every other side to oblivion with brutal defence. Not often you see Joeys get belted.

Comment

They say Roosters are indeed pushing for the age exemption (why wouldn't they if souffs were gonna get that) and they could play him in round 1.

Assuming he has a great pre-season and is the real deal and that he should be named round 1 vs manly - where do you put him? With no off-season injuries (knock on wood) - we should have Teddy, Bmoz, Jmoz, Toops and Manu all ready to go.

Does he get a spot on the bench?

Does he just become a rotation player when resting the other backs throughout the season?

If he does become the freak they hype him up to be and we need him as a starting back - who gets dropped?

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddo Colt 61;n859667][QUOTE=The Axe;
          Perhaps some schools do throw around token scholarships to be me too. I know many schools that have the right attitude of creating an opportunity. I' ve spoken first hand with some Scots boys on such scholarships. Education creates opportunities for Leaders to change beliefs and history. You'd learn much from a conversation with Angus Crichton

The point is Axe that the PR impresses most people but the reality is that if that serious money was diverted from the already wealthy and spent on the schools which serve the majority of our kids there would be no need to extend opportunity to just the fortunate few who get sports "scholarships". The amount of taxpayer money spent on the wealthy is scandalous and is growing and you can see, just by looking, how poorly resourced our kids' schools are. Meanwhile, Cranbrook is now in the process of excavating a large chunk of Bellevue Hill largely, no doubt, at our expense.
          I could be mistaken but I don't think Gus was a "scholarship" lad. Maybe your regular boarder off a country property - "Angus" (like Hamish, Duncan and Dougal) is a name you don't hear too much out Mt. Druitt way but, then again, Scots is infamous for buying their football teams. It's a big selling point for the nouveau riche who care more about that sort of thing having, most of them, left school in Year 10 or may as well have. The academic record there and in most GPS is nothing to write home about.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely not a scholarship. His dad went there and I think his grandfather did as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chookies74 View Post
            "sure some teams these days are poor but they don’t even play 1st anymore - go watch scots v joeys etc and those boys aren’t coddled - they play hard and open rugby - great to watch"
            Agree, Kings this yr, without this 'superkid', still belted every other side to oblivion with brutal defence. Not often you see Joeys get belted.
            But it's great when you do.

Comment

This kid better be a combination of Ken Irvine, a young Sonny Bill Williams, and Josh Addo-Carr for all this bullshit about him. Does he kick goals at 80+%?

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddo Colt 61;n859667][QUOTE=The Axe;
                I could be mistaken but I don't think Gus was a "scholarship" lad. Maybe your regular boarder off a country property - "Angus" (like Hamish, Duncan and Dougal) is a name you don't hear too much out Mt. Druitt way but, then again, Scots is infamous for buying their football teams. It's a big selling point for the nouveau riche who care more about that sort of thing having, most of them, left school in Year 10 or may as well have. The academic record there and in most GPS is nothing to write home about.

[/QUOTE]

Ha so funny I don’t agree with almost most of what you say but I do know a Scots family with everyone of those names as their sons names.

Gus’ s father attended scots so I doubt his is a scholarship as you say. His father was a tough as nails front rower who if you saw out on a Saturday night in those days was best to avoid!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthChook View Post
                  They say Roosters are indeed pushing for the age exemption (why wouldn't they if souffs were gonna get that) and they could play him in round 1.

Assuming he has a great pre-season and is the real deal and that he should be named round 1 vs manly - where do you put him? With no off-season injuries (knock on wood) - we should have Teddy, Bmoz, Jmoz, Toops and Manu all ready to go.

Does he get a spot on the bench?

Does he just become a rotation player when resting the other backs throughout the season?

If he does become the freak they hype him up to be and we need him as a starting back - who gets dropped?
                  if everyone's fit i don't think he gets a gig round 1. hard to see a place for an outside back on the bench but it's not unheard of. hopefully he gets a good work out playing reserves for a month or two and then gets a go in firsts when there are injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

if everyone's fit i don't think he gets a gig round 1. hard to see a place for an outside back on the bench but it's not unheard of. hopefully he gets a good work out playing reserves for a month or two and then gets a go in firsts when there are injuries.
                    True, and I think the same - will be interesting though in theory if he turns out to be the gun they say he can be in the back end of the season and is pushing for a start. I suppose these things are always 'good headaches' and that unfortunately injuries will factor in most likely.

Comment

If he is as good as they think he is I'd be putting him on the bench and easing him in that way. Fabri is a good judge of an athlete and says he's as good as SBW and Haynes were at his age.
                      I'm excited to see what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny73 View Post
                        This kid better be a combination of Ken Irvine, a young Sonny Bill Williams, and Josh Addo-Carr for all this bullshit about him. Does he kick goals at 80+%?
                        Perhaps you’ve seen the videos of Suaalii on YouTube but if you haven’t seen them, you’ll see him do plenty of offloads like when Sonny passed to Maloney in 2013 to break through for the try scored by SKD. Very impressive. I haven’t seen much of Irvine play as he was before my time and I can’t relate his achievements to any players I’ve seen but in some ways and because he’s 1.97m he reminds of Toupo when he dives to score tries except that Joseph has a wicked step. He might not be able to kick goals, but he knows how to score 4 points. That’s good enough for me.

Comment

I believe Suaalii didn’t want to continue playing for Souffs and as a Roosters fan who would blame him? He wanted to come to a club recognised by all those that matter as the club with the most professionally run people in the business, so he and his advisors, whether friends or family came up with the strategy of handing out outrageous demands making it impossible for souffs management to accept and thus opening the doors to a move to Bondi, and while there may be some inkling of one day playing for the Wallabies, the way the game is today and with the incompetence of RA in the way they run the game, that wish may be a bridge too far for a very long time until they get their shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                            "No way heavily invested - Token Islander"?

How about go **** yourself you racist slither of pigshit.
                            Well said. I'm so sick of casual racism towards players.

Comment

i would imagine he gets a game during mid season around origin period? kind of the same time where tuipulotu made his debut this season.

super excited to see him play. hopefully can have the same sort of impact that folau had around that kinda of age, especially with all the hype surrounding him

Comment

Originally posted by The Lip View Post
                                GPS rugby has been and still is the most entertaining rugby you can watch in Australia - played in the spirit rugby is meant to be played.

sure some teams these days are poor but they don’t even play 1st anymore - go watch scots v joeys etc and those boys aren’t coddled - they play hard and open rugby - great to watch.
                                LOL Scots will lose 60-0... no contest. That's one way of 'enjoying' a sport I guess (and it's how amateur yawnion games usually go because one team dominates the other, gets all the possession and there's no tackle limit to at least give them some hope of possession).

Comment

Working...
                                X