The Good Ol' Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Ol' Boys

The proof is in the pudding, we're officially old.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/25/...teams-in-2020/

Do the right thing Jake. Hang up the boots.

And wasn't it evident the last 3 games

Comment

Three out of the top 4 teams (including the Storm) are the oldest teams in the comp. It is a ridiculous suggestion that we are too old. Take out SBW now, and the Morris twins a year later and we fall back to mid-field.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post
        Three out of the top 4 teams (including the Storm) are the oldest teams in the comp. It is a ridiculous suggestion that we are too old. Take out SBW now, and the Morris twins a year later and we fall back to mid-field.

yep.
        swap sbw and aubo for verills and rads and we'll have a younger average age than last year's premiers.

Comment

The thread title makes me want to sing American Pie.

It's good to have a mix of older players on field as long as they are not carrying bad injuries. That's the only way the younger ones will learn.
          "It's these little things, they can pull you under
          Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Panthers had the 2nd youngest squad and were Grand Finalists though.

Bottom line is, it's starting to become a problem for us.

There are exceptions to the rule, but balanced squads (not too old, not too young) are more successful.

Comment

Stupid thread imo. Friend is the new Mini.

Comment

Yeh its such a lazy excuse as to why and where we fell away last year.

I also don't believe there's a larger issue at play. If Radley, Verrills and Billy Smith all didn't do their ACL's (freak) the average age would've dropped by a couple of years instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post

Panthers had the 2nd youngest squad and were Grand Finalists though.

Bottom line is, it's starting to become a problem for us.

There are exceptions to the rule, but balanced squads (not too old, not too young) are more successful.
                  Starting to become a problem? SBW and Maubs won't be here next year. The Morris twins won't be here the year after. Jared and Friend are in their early 30s and final contracts. When you say it is becoming a problem, it actually isn't. It is just a distraction.

Our season came undone with injuries to Verrills and Radley, and the inexperience of Flanagan. The younger players in the squad. You could loosely argue that the concussion issues are age related but I wouldn't be calling Cords too old.

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post

It's good to have a mix of older players on field as long as they are not carrying bad injuries. That's the only way the younger ones will learn.
                    were they drinkin whiskey and rye or whiskey in Rye?

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                      The proof is in the pudding, we're officially old.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/25/...teams-in-2020/

Do the right thing Jake. Hang up the boots.
                      I hope this doesn't backfire on us holding onto the older brigade and letting the younger ones go, like it did the Sharks after 2016

Comment

It's time to have some tough conversations.

Comment

Age is just a number? Age increases the chances of injury?Age slows you down? With age comes wisdom?

There are so many ways to look at it. The way I see it is, if the player was either" too youbg" or "too old" they won't be there in the first place. If you are good enough it doesn't matter what your age is

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                            It's time to have some tough conversations.
                            Who would you call in to chat?
                            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post

I started singing The Dukes Of Hazzard theme song and picturing Daisy Duke in her good old shorts.

BTW we aren't too old. We had Cronk for a couple of years and he went ok for an old fella. No mention of us being too old last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X