Aidan Guerra retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aidan Guerra retires

Guerra announced today that he was retiring.

Played 154 games for the Roosters from 2010 to 2017, including playing a major part in our 2013 premiership winning side. I always enjoyed watching him play at the Roosters, extremely hard to tackle and always busted a gut.

Best of luck in retirement!

Hope the club and boys give this some recognition on Sunday. Great servant of the club.

A top class Rooster. Not in the top echelon of talented second rowers - although still BLOODY GOOD - but always gave 101% on the field.

Always got the impression he was a great clubman too. Someone who was good for morale.

Hopefully he gets a decent finish to the year.

Comment

I’ll always remember his try in the 2013 GF as that was the start of our comeback after being down 16-6.

Thanks for the memories Aiden and all the best in your retirement!

Comment

Yes, indeed, well done Aidan on a good and solid career.

I felt, though, that he had been slowing down for a while now - even before he had left the Roosters. He was slow to get up and recover after playing the ball each time.

He was a very handy and reliable player - and was obviously good enough to play for Queensland.

I wish him all the very best in retirement and for the next chapter of his life.
        MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
        is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
        with that attitude. I can assure you it is
        much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Would love a bit of dejavu with Guerra wearing a Roosters tie being driven around during the GF retirements aka SKD last year.

Comment

Remember reading somewhere at the time that Bellamy was apparently super pissed that we had "poached" him.

Comment

thanks aidan and good luck.
              when he came to us i think he doubted he could be a first grade player, seemed to lack confidence, but went on to win a ring and play soo.

Comment

A grand final try scorer for us. Good luck to him in retirement.

Comment

Congratulations Aidan on a great career, premiership winner with our great club Queensland and Australian rep that’s an awesome achievement, hard man to tackle in his prime years we certainly got the best out of him tough as as nails cut people in half in D, best of luck in retirement mate.

Comment

I remember him being interviewed in the sheds after his last game for the Roosters. Aidan was asked about his last game and leaving the club. His response was "I don't want to take this jeresy off." What a champion

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post
                      A top class Rooster. Not in the top echelon of talented second rowers - although still BLOODY GOOD - but always gave 101% on the field.

Always got the impression he was a great clubman too. Someone who was good for morale.

Hopefully he gets a decent finish to the year.
                      Agreed - a quality Rooster who was with us through some good times and a as a mark of respect... as a reserve-grader keen to make his way into the 1sts during some horrible seasons.

Ended up playing for QLD, Italy and Australia so need I say any more. My biggest memory of him is as a gangly, slightly un-co looking guy who was anything but. Every time I wrote him off as useless he had a knack for somehow slipping tackles and finding the chalk.

Dunno about his personal life but I heard he did well on some investments. I know he's had injury troubles but hopefully his decision to retire (relatively young) is along the lines of 'I don't need another 4 seasons of 1st grade to setup the family... we're doing alright and I might as well preserve my body as best as possible'.

Seems like a long time but ~20-30 years of footy is a short time compared with the rest of your life. Hope the big man does well in his post-footy career (they always do these days with all the business connections...etc they get but still, some don't and I hope he's one of the winners).

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Rabid_Rooster View Post
                        Yes, indeed, well done Aidan on a good and solid career.

I felt, though, that he had been slowing down for a while now - even before he had left the Roosters. He was slow to get up and recover after playing the ball each time.

He was a very handy and reliable player - and was obviously good enough to play for Queensland.

I wish him all the very best in retirement and for the next chapter of his life.
                        The only first grader I've seen driven into touch when taking the ball from the kick off - against the Bulldogs.

Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                          The only first grader I've seen driven into touch when taking the ball from the kick off - against the Bulldogs.
                          Why is a second rower taking it up from a kick off?!

Comment

Originally posted by Voice of Reason View Post

Why is a second rower taking it up from a kick off?!
                            Because they kicked the ball to him.

Comment

Aidan Guerra’s form in 2013 was nothing short of amazing. I remember he had a fantastic tackle-breaking spin which in subsequent years unfortunately disappeared from his game. Best of luck Aidan
                              EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

Working...
                              X