No announcement yet.

Manu's tackling technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought Teddy should have gone around the legs with Sivo. He may have been bumped off, but still more effective ala Radley. I know NRL players try to stop the offload but the 'you can't run without legs' principle taught from U6s still apply. Bloody brave effort from Teddy but.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
      . Bloody brave effort from Teddy but.
      Geez you have to be …… can remember him trying to stop a rampaging Taumalolo close to the line last year. Have to be a brave bugger out the back trying to stop a rampaging truck on your own !

Comment

I always think manu should offer more on both sides of the field, he looks spectacular when holding the ball in one hand and his flick pass, must be the expectations of him being touted as a better player than latrell. Jmoz is outshining him for now, shame for Manu that naturally our attack seems to go left more often than not, would like to see him with keary feeding him more.

Comment

He’s been quieter in attack lately, last night he had some nice offloads but that was it really, I can forgive him for his defence he is usually spot on or there abouts so just a off night for him IMO but something I’ve been taking a eye to is his involvement in attack, it looks like sometimes he lacks urgency on some plays.

Comment

But in saying that, he is a world class centre and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone - very happy he resigned at the beginning of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
              I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of an off night.
              Wasn't he in doubt for the game with a hand injury ? ….so maybe a reason for the poor night !
              Anyway one thing I've learned from Manu over the past few seasons ...he always seems to be a slow starter in the season, and is always at his best and killing it in the back half of the season.
              You make a fair point. he is usually tearing teams to shreds in the back half of the season. Hopefully that form isn't far away.
              He is in no way playing badly, but would love to see him at his best again soon.

Comment

Thought Teddy should have gone around the legs with Sivo. He may have been bumped off, but still more effective ala Radley. I know NRL players try to stop the offload but the 'you can't run without legs' principle taught from U6s still apply. Bloody brave effort from Teddy but.
                agree. he had a similar attempt on taumalolo a couple of years back. credit to the guy for thinking he can make that sort of tackle on those sorts of guys but if he'd gone lower this time he might have stopped the try (probably wouldn't have).

Comment

The upside for Joey is, he will now have plenty of opportunity to make amends. There will have a lot of traffic directed at him in the coming weeks. I see it as a positive and agree with most on here, Joey
                  (and Flanno) will adjust and be solid when it matters.

Credit to Jennings, he was very good.

Comment

Hoping to bump into Teddy today so I can direct him to our forum so he can get the tackling advice he obviously needs.

Comment

Manu has been putting in 7/10 performances. Which is pretty good.

The issue is the others are putting in 8 or 9 performances each week. Even Flanaghan would probably get 7 or 7.5 for general play, but I'd give him 8 when factoring his goal kicking. Toups, Morris bros, Teddy are putting in 9/10 peformances every week. That's why it's so hard to pick a MOTM, because you can give it to 7 or 8 blokes easily.

It's extraordinary. But this is an extraordinary team.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy Five View Post
                        The upside for Joey is, he will now have plenty of opportunity to make amends. There will have a lot of traffic directed at him in the coming weeks. I see it as a positive and agree with most on here, Joey
                        (and Flanno) will adjust and be solid when it matters.

Credit to Jennings, he was very good.
                        Yes Joey will be having to make plenty of tackles in the coming week. An obvious weak link in our armour that I thought had been rectified.

Comment

Agreed, Tommy Turbo cut him in half a couple weeks back in a very similar run, my god imagine Sivo full steam up, terrifying very brave from Tedesco he will learn from that, should speak to Billy Slater on how to use the shoulder and then get away with it at the judiciary, in all seriousness though thankfully he’s ok and next time just go around the legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                            Hoping to bump into Teddy today so I can direct him to our forum so he can get the tackling advice he obviously needs.
                            cos that tackle was a well executed one?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                              I'm not so sure. He's an arm grabber. His defence had improved a lot but definitely went back to old ways last night,in a big game.

He's done some amazing things in attack but defence is just as important. JMoz won't leak too many points.
                              It’s crazy to say he’s an “arm grabber” when you think about the tackle he made on Croker last year. Good defensive centres are taught to track the opposition centre’s inside hip so as to not get beaten on the inside and then come forward and out at that hip. If he “arm grabs” in a tackle it’s purely because he’s been beaten for pace by a split second. He made a couple of beautiful tackles after that first miss where he shut him down really well. And even a brilliant inside shoulder hit (can’t recall who it was on).

No doubt he’ll work on his reaction and footwork in defence this week but there is nothing wrong with his technique in contact in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

cos that tackle was a well executed one?
                                Obviously not. But who would have stopped a rampaging Siva one on one when so close to the line when he had a full head of steam. Nobody!

Comment

Working...
                                X