Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big a pay cut would you take to keep your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big a pay cut would you take to keep your job?

With news that if the 2020 season is cancelled, the NRL is considering asking the players to take an 87% pay cut to ensure the code survives.

Which equates to an average of $26,000 per player in 30 person squad.

I am sure some of us would be happy to keep their job or even have a job in the next few months.

How much of a pay cut would you take to ensure you have a job ongoing through the looming disaster?
    20% off, thats all I can afford
    28.57%
    50% off.. I think I could manage.. just
    35.71%
    75% off.. I dunno how but I need income
    35.71%
    Last edited by The Skeez; 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM. Reason: Apostrophes removed
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

It would leave the top 30 players at each club on about $26,000 each for the season.

Comment

Take the cut boys , then you may have a job to come back to . Time to enjoy the real world

Comment

You can't compare our situation to the NRL players, their keeping a job comes with not actually working at present, where as I assume you mean us keeping our jobs means we continue to work as usual. Our company has actually frozen redundancies. I expect they anticipate more people falling ill, which would require those who may have been made redundant, covering these people.

Comment

The RLPA will want to have a good look at the NRL's figures before they agree to such a cut but if that figure means the game can be saved this is good news.

Comment

How do they pay their mortgages? 87 percent is a lot. I think 50 to 60 would be fairer. The game will outlive the NRL as an organisation. Maybe a better governing body could emerge.

Comment

As much as this situation progresses, I feel less and less connected to football.

I can only think that the journalists covering the game are just doing their best to keep their own jobs, because without any sport there is no need to write about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                You can't compare our situation to the NRL players, their keeping a job comes with not actually working at present, where as I assume you mean us keeping our jobs means we continue to work as usual. Our company has actually frozen redundancies. I expect they anticipate more people falling ill, which would require those who may have been made redundant, covering these people.
                Are the players training individually in any way in a bid to remain fit in the hope the game is played again this year? Wouldn't that entail work?

The game on the weekend is just a part of their overall working week

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                  What company is that Cocka?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Rooster View Post
                    How do they pay their mortgages? 87 percent is a lot. I think 50 to 60 would be fairer. The game will outlive the NRL as an organisation. Maybe a better governing body could emerge.
                    Mortgage holiday like the rest of us

Comment

I‘m more concerned about people who live in the real world rather than NRL players.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                        I‘m more concerned about people who live in the real world rather than NRL players.
                        Me too.

If you have made the sort of money some of these guys have made over the past few years and not got anything behind you then you really need to take a good hard look at yourself.

Lets not forget that not only are some of them on very good income but they also get a lot of the regular life expenses that we all usually pay for thrown in as well like cars etc... Surely the short term loss of income, although never favorable, shouldn't break them.
                        FVCK CANCER

Comment

If I was on $1,000,000 a year a 80% would be crap but you can manage
                          But if I was on $110,000 a 80% wouldn't be enough to live off.

Maybe pay each player the same, from memory the salary cap is $10,000,000, if you pay every player the minimum $110,000 that be $3,300,000 for the top 30 players which is close to a 65% cut of the cap.
                          The big dollar stars will just have to take a bigger cut for a year. Over their career they will still do better than the average person earns in 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                            I don't think it's one or the other. This is a complex problem that needs to be addressed on different levels - health, economic etc.

No doubt the health and economic dangers that this virus present need to be given priority, but we are going to get through this and we need to make sure that the things we love about Australia survive as well.

The players will realise that the survival of the game is paramount and I'm sure they'll be sensible but they shouldn't sell themselves short so that administrators etc benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Smee View Post

What company is that Cocka?
                              It's a big IT company. Usually they are as ruthless as hell, you would never believe some of the things that I know that have happened there in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X