Future of the NRL and clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of the NRL and clubs

Haven't seen it discussed much on here yet unless I've missed it - but is anyone concerned about the financial future of the NRL/competition as we know it if the comp is suspended for months/the rest of the year

Sounds a bit concerning that the NRL has little cash reserves to bail the competition out as it sounds like the depend mostly on broadcasting payments which could go out the window if there are no games

I would think (hope) clubs like the Roosters will be able to make it through as at least we have some land we could sell if things go really bad and uncle nick to help - but no doubt if other clubs go under that will effect everyone in the code. I would think if worst case scenario and comp/clubs go broke, players would lose major money from contracts and RL in Australia would need to start from scratch with only the wealthier backed clubs to survive and maybe new franchises who are bidding at the moment (Brisbane teams, Perth, Bears? etc) to fill in the place as they don't miss out on anything (other than general financial loss everyone is experiencing)

I do suspect that the NRL is making things sounds lightly worse than it is to gain more support for playing on as well as get the most Govt money - I think they will eventually get a slice of the funding but not until other more important services receive them first. Makes sense to cancel the ANZ refurb and give the NRL that money instead

And before anyone says it, yes football isn't everything but it is a big part of everyone's life who is on here (otherwise you wouldn't be) and this is just to discuss how the current situation would effect the NRL's future as life will continue after all this will pass eventually - hopefully all of us make it through ok and will back at the footy

Football Nrl and all sports are a massive part of life , social clubs and all this must survive or what is the fight for . There must be something left at the end or people will have nothing .
    Some will say the clubs and teams should take care of themselves but be honest , if there are no Roosters , No Nrl , no bowling clubs , golf clubs all gone , all broke , then when this virus is beaten people will need something because many wont have jobs for years , many will loose business and home , loved one will have died in vain

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster1908 View Post
      Football Nrl and all sports are a massive part of life , social clubs and all this must survive or what is the fight for . There must be something left at the end or people will have nothing .
      Some will say the clubs and teams should take care of themselves but be honest , if there are no Roosters , No Nrl , no bowling clubs , golf clubs all gone , all broke , then when this virus is beaten people will need something because many wont have jobs for years , many will loose business and home , loved one will have died in vain
      100% agreed - most important thing after all this and the aftermath it will unfortunately leave is to recover normality and enjoy life. Man it is so easy to forget how good a normal life we have here is until something like this comes out of no where and can flip everything on its head

I was a bit disappointed to see on socials members and fans hassling clubs (including the Roosters) for instant information and refunds on their lost games. I know some are worse off financially than others but everyone is going to do it tough over the next few months, including businesses and if people do care about this club they would give them time to sort out their finances before demanding cash back

I for one am happy for the club to keep my membership money for now till they can review the final damage and assuming/hoping I am ok financially, am happy for them to keep that money as a donation

Comment

Sport brings us happiness. It is not life and death but it is hugely important. Our sports in Australia are large industries, employing many people in different roles. As such I think it is reasonable to be worried. A big part of life has or is about to be taken away from us. That is really terrible.

I think a lot of organisations will collapse and then we are going to deal with the vultures coming in and picking at the remains to try to revive something. I think the game of rugby league will survice but the NRL as we know it may not. Those ****ing idiots at the NRL have been whitling away at the sport for years, thinking they had a captive audience that could never let them down. Looks like they are wrong again.

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if a broadcaster company of some type (Nine, Fox or other something new/different - if they don't go bust themselves) try and buy out the competition as a way to recoup money - no live sport for broadcasters will also mean a great loss in advertising (plus businesses having to cut back advertising too)

Also a big threat of Chinese investors and companies coming over and buying out our financially crippled industries

Comment

Maybe next time our CEO won't spend 10 grand on a ring for a good players wife.

Comment

Maybe Corona can kills Souths.

Comment

Rugby League has always been a rough and ready sport able to adapt to trying times. It will survive.

Comment

if I was a betting man ....well be watching nrl in 2021

Comment

With sooooo many fat cats in head office NRL, surely some prudent pruning will help the balance sheet in these uncertain times...................

Comment

Absolutely extraordinary that the season has not yet been suspended.

NBL has called off their grand final series which they are in the middle of.
                      Last edited by Thirteen; 03-17-2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I reckon the game will survive, although it may take a while to recover financially. Hopefully a lesson learnt for HQ, clubs and players to actually put a certain amount of the game's revenue aside for a rainy day/future fund and not all spend like drunken sailors and expect someone to keep topping up the kitty. It's a wake up call for the game - get your house in order!!
                        Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

I think sensibly ...just a suggestion , the Nrl will continue it will , it's survived a ****load worse then this. I'm guessing at some point it will be suspended maybe for a 4 - 6 weeks period. maybe save origin till end of the year October/ November. potentially shorten season to 22 rounds. warriors will need to return home at some point , these poor bastards are shopping at k mart for fark sake , chooks should follow other clubs and help them maybe donate training balls etc.

I don't know I'm a dummy , but jeez if this comp don't continue she will bewilling winter . I might even have have to take up a hobby like rollerblading, homosexuality or serial killing ... I fancy neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                            Absolutely extraordinary that the season has not yet been suspended.

NBL has called off their grand final series which they are in the middle of.
                            If no players are sick what does calling off the season now help?

Comment

The nrl have a agreement with the players association that if revenues fall they can renegotiate player , club payments, . Could get interesting and ugly reel fast
                              Last edited by Bondicigar; 03-17-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X