Being On Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being On Top

So we now have equal points with the storm and equal differential for for and against however we have more points for than the storm and they have less points against. Why is it that we are listed second on the ladder yet we have not only more points in favour and we have now beaten them? I would have thought that’s how they calculate positions.

Relax. There’s no prize for April premiers
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

i dont really care! only worried about certain games in the season, souffs, Anzac day, Melbourne then grand final! in between times i don't care whos listed the top of the comp, it's going to change a lot during the year, just good to stay in top 3 if possible?
      Last edited by stephenj; 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
        Relax. There’s no prize for April premiers
        Apologies for asking A question cause it's obvious I wanted to know...I hope I didn't offend you.

Comment

i would think questions are promoted on here? yes both st george and souths have confirmed as the raiders will do too there is no prize for an april premiership? i can only conclude that the listing comes from a newspaper of dubious quality or professional integrity?

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
            So we now have equal points with the storm and equal differential for for and against however we have more points for than the storm and they have less points against. Why is it that we are listed second on the ladder yet we have not only more points in favour and we have now beaten them? I would have thought that’s how they calculate positions.
            I think it must be because Melbourne have a better against 73 comparred to the Chooks 102.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

I think it must be because Melbourne have a better against 73 comparred to the Chooks 102.
              Thanks Mickie...It's not about me wanting desperately to be on top, but it would be nice to be on top the whole season and let them try catch us...But at the end of the day if this was round 25 and this situation happen, does against count more that points for? In your response which I also thought it could be and if this is how the NRL judges, then it says that defence is considered more than attack which goes against their wishes of having more attack. Plus the raiders and rabbids have less points than us so it can't be that...The only logic to me is that whoever gets there first stays, which is dumb...Cheers!

Comment

Apologies for asking A question cause it's obvious I wanted to know...I hope I didn't offend you.
                It's determined by %.

E.g. our % is 157.8%.
                ---> 100 ÷ 102 (points against) x 161 (points for) = 157.8

The Storm's % is 180.8%
                ---> 100 ÷ 73 (points against) x 132 (points for) = 180.8

*edit* I believe this mathematically always favours fewer points conceded. So you are right in that it essentially rewards defence over attack.
                Last edited by Tommy Smith; 04-22-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Sorry bud.
                  You may be able to find something from last year when deciding the top eight.
                  ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Plus the raiders and rabbids have less points than us so it can't be that...The only logic to me is that whoever gets there first stays, which is dumb...Cheers!
                    But their for & against isn't as good as ours, remember.

We're + 59. The Raiders and Rabbits are + 57 and + 45 respectively.

Only when the F&A is equal is % used to separate the two teams.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post

Sorry bud.
                      You may be able to find something from last year when deciding the top eight.
                      All Good! Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                        It's determined by %.

E.g. our % is 157.8%.

The Storm's % is 180.8%

*edit* I believe this mathematically always favours fewer points conceded. So you are right in that it essentially rewards defence over attack.
                        That looks like black magic to me. After trying to promote more scoring they come up with an equation that benefits defence. I think thats what they do in AFL but in soccer if points are equal then they go to who scored more and so on.

Comment

Meh as long as we are first at 8pm on the 6th October i'm not fussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                            It's determined by %.

E.g. our % is 157.8%.

The Storm's % is 180.8%

Hehe, nothing like being blinded by pseudo-science. Thanks NRL.

The % is a good stat for seeing where you're at as a team - if you're scoring 20 points a game and keeping your opponents to 0, that's different from scoring 40 points a game and keeping your opponents to 20.

That said, as far as who should be on top of the ladder in the event of equal F&A you either favour attack or defence. There's nothing wrong with a beautiful mathematical equation, but in this instance it is superfluous. Given 'defence wins comps' perhaps it's better that the ladder reflects that - albeit it we don't need a BS equation to mystify things.

Comment

No offence here mate. For and against is equal, we beat them and we are also the defending premieres. Got me beat.
                              FVCK CANCER

Comment

Working...
                              X