Trials matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials matter

I thought it an odd decision not to play any first graders in the trial game V Manly.

That hit out was our first in a month (since the WCC). That's an eternity in footy.

I don't really blame anyone because I don't know enough about sports science or the affects of the travel to England to comment and there's definitely the bigger picture that matters more than Round 1 that needs to be looked at.

I just wouldn't be surprised if we are slow starters this year given that was our first real hit out of the year as you'd imagine any benefits of the run during the WCC 1 month ago seemed to be insignificant.

When we did click though we looked slick, you can tell the combos are already there we aren't starting as far behind as we did last year. We just need to get some yards into the legs.

Manly will be a good test next week, coming off a first round loss too I expect two teams with a chip on the shoulder should be exactly the type of physical clash we need to 'ease' us back into the grind of NRL footy.

WCC was a disruption to our off-season and Robbo would have compensated with an even longer off-season. As I mentioned last year, contenders prepared to risk a few games early on in opting for a longer off season. I suggest we'll be vulnerable for a few more weeks.

Comment

We played trials last year and also lost in round 1. We'll be right.

Sure, the game was over, but the way we kept our attacking structure in the last few sets was pretty impressive.

Comment

I reckon that was our trial. The big pluses were we got some minutes into the legs of our key players - they'll be coming into match fitness by Round 4 - and there were no major injuries. Great to see Radley rattle Sammy's ribs too, I reckon he'll be feeling that for a few days yet.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
          We played trials last year and also lost in round 1. We'll be right.

Sure, the game was over, but the way we kept our attacking structure in the last few sets was pretty impressive.
          Last year is a false equivalency, obviously new halfback, new combos.

It won't take as long to kick into gear as it did last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Agreed, also my expectation. TBH Friday night looked way better than early 2018.

Comment

Yes if you want to get the points early..Im happy to ride with Robbo.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Manly were horrific against the tigers last night, even though we were below par against souffs we should lap them. Should being the operative word.

Comment

Originally posted by easts4eva View Post
                  Manly were horrific against the tigers last night, even though we were below par against souffs we should lap them. Should being the operative word.
                  Both games played in awful weather, with no turbo at the back for manly they look awful in attack, also I think they lose fonua Blake for attacking the legs.

if it’s dry, should get the win.

Comment

So do completion rates.

Comment

Originally posted by easts4eva View Post
                      I saw 5 minutes of that game but gee it was an extremely ordinary 5 minutes for Brendan Elliott. Hogging the ball with an unmarked Brad Parker beside him, who would certainly have scored. Then knocking on the Tigers dropout after the completion of that set.

Comment

#tit
                        Red, White and Bluesters!!!

Comment

I thought it an odd decision not to play any first graders in the trial game V Manly.

That hit out was our first in a month (since the WCC). That's an eternity in footy.

I don't really blame anyone because I don't know enough about sports science or the affects of the travel to England to comment and there's definitely the bigger picture that matters more than Round 1 that needs to be looked at.

I just wouldn't be surprised if we are slow starters this year given that was our first real hit out of the year as you'd imagine any benefits of the run during the WCC 1 month ago seemed to be insignificant.

When we did click though we looked slick, you can tell the combos are already there we aren't starting as far behind as we did last year. We just need to get some yards into the legs.

Manly will be a good test next week, coming off a first round loss too I expect two teams with a chip on the shoulder should be exactly the type of physical clash we need to 'ease' us back into the grind of NRL footy.
                          Yes, I thought Bmoz, Toops, Collins, Lui, Manu, Rads could have played too.
                          But the eye is on the GF, I suppose.

Comment

There was a reason for the trials last year, but less so this year?

Comment

Working...
                            X