No announcement yet.

Your real early season expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if we win, then bloody great, if not oh well. in 2013 and 18 we lost to them first time we faced, so no biggy.

Comment

Thanks Tommy.

Comment

As far as having the wood on, I think that applied more to playing Broncos in Brisbane, regardless of Bennett. For some reason we get some atrocious calls up there and exhibit a lot of panic plays...the classic of all being Kenny Dowell gifting a laughing Darius Boy an (everyone could see it except SKD) Intercept try off our first set of six. Cronk has helped steady our ship these days.

I expect we will look to start the season strong and rack up some early points prior to SOO. If so we should finish around the top of the ladder as I believe our reserve substitutes will do the job in 2019.

Just on the SCG surface. Yes it would want to be safe. Teddy's knees are too valuable to risk and it's one reason he prefers to slip rather than wear longer studs. A needless injury from a poor playing surface has to be avoided at all costs. I'd rather boycott a game than have that happen.

Comment

Who can forget the infamous Sandcorp Standium debacles of 2003 where Hodgo tore his ACL and Fitzy shredded his knee, too, and was out for a fair while.

Hodges' ACL at the sandpit probably cost us b2b titles as he was the best centre in the game atm and started the season on fire.

Comment

Could be some rain around too unfortunately looking at the forecasts..to add to the mix.

If wont matter too much if we drop this one other than bragging rights. Having said that, class probably prevails again and we get the cash.

I can see Souths having a volatile year with their results under Long Tall (and ageing) Sally.

Comment

I'm confident we'll win on Friday if we can control Cook,Reynolds & their forwards we should get the job done as for the early season we'll lose some games but we'll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                Who can forget the infamous Sandcorp Standium debacles of 2003 where Hodgo tore his ACL and Fitzy shredded his knee, too, and was out for a fair while.

Hodges' ACL at the sandpit probably cost us b2b titles as he was the best centre in the game atm and started the season on fire.
                Great points Tommy. Both were killers and Hodgo was at his peak and never the same for us after. Not a lot of success to reflect upon.

I do recall one match where Freddy slayed them along with Lam and have it on vid somewhere. It was an unexpected win as we went in short on and Freddy had a suspect groin. Didn't seem to affect him and that performance was a measure of his greatness. What a great player he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

As premiers and with the team we have that would be pretty mediocre. My expectations are higher than this.
                  Yeah, me too. That’s why I said at least

What would you expect from the those 7 games?
                  ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by Louis N View Post

Great points Tommy. Both were killers and Hodgo was at his peak and never the same for us after. Not a lot of success to reflect upon.

I do recall one match where Freddy slayed them along with Lam and have it on vid somewhere. It was an unexpected win as we went in short on and Freddy had a suspect groin. Didn't seem to affect him and that performance was a measure of his greatness. What a great player he was.
                    How cool would it be to see the Fittler name gracing one of our jumpers again one day. May just happen.his son is 13 and they say he is a real chip off the old block as far as his playing style and mannerisms go.

Comment

I think it's going to be a tough slog for the first 10 weeks-mentally and physically . Teams lift against defending premiers and at some point there will have to be a drop off on form. I think if the chooks can be in the top 8 at the halfway point and have no injuries then they can start the charge.
                      It may take a while for Angus Crichton to fit in too- but he is a real gun in attack. His form after last years SOO was hampered by a shoulder injury but once he gets settled he will really fire. If your in Double Bay check out his families butcher shop in Kiora Lane under Woolworths- 100% i promise you best meat you'll ever get- but not the cheapest that's for sure!!

Comment

I expect us to play extremely well this year, and only see injury and perhaps SOO hangover affecting our chances of a repeat. I wish we had another big aggressive prop, even better one with an offload, but you can't have everything. We have a brilliant backline and creative halves and if we can get quick play the balls we have the go forward and kicking game to get us into scoring situations. If we can maintain a high standard of defence we will be very hard to beat.
                        I guess it will come down to mental toughness and how much our guys really want it. Physically we have the tools, our guys only need to play as a TEAM, leave the egos in the dressing room and I reckon we can repeat.

Comment

Maybe teams lift when they're playing the premiers, but on the other side of the coin being premiers gives you an aura and can intimidate other teams ...

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeez View Post

Yeah, me too. That’s why I said at least

What would you expect from the those 7 games?
                            7. We are a better side than all the rest. But realistically we will most likely lose one or two.

Comment

7. We are a better side than all the rest. But realistically we will most likely lose one or two.
                              Agreed. While I want us to win, I wouldn't be surprised if Souffs (and a few other random teams that go nowhere) do a job on us. Happens every season early on...

Comment

Of course we want 7-0 but realistically you see 6-1 or 5-2

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Agreed. While I want us to win, I wouldn't be surprised if Souffs (and a few other random teams that go nowhere) do a job on us. Happens every season early on...
                                And you see the same as me.
                                Souths maybe a few (2) others. totaling say 3, meaning 4-3.

Look, I am just throwing it out there as per the OP. Some of those teams will have our game marked from now and might knock us off, but I reckon they lose the following week.
                                ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Working...
                                X