X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QWERTY
    replied
    Originally posted by "gaz" View Post
    Jake Friend declares most impressive Roosters recruit ahead of South Sydney opener
    Written By Tom Naghten https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/sydney-roosters-south-sydney-round-one-nrl-jake-friend-ryan-hall-angus-crichton/oo73fthdufj7159ym40vdcinm

But when asked which of the new Roosters had impressed him the most, Friend responded: "I'd have to say Hally."
    That's 31-year-old English winger Ryan Hall who will miss a good chunk of the season after rupturing his ACL in the Super League last August.
    "From what he's done in the gym, he's had a knee op and he's been doing his thing on the side there but our records board is full of Ryan Hall," Friend said on Wednesday's Big Sports Breakfast.
    "Once he's fit, it will be good to see how he goes over here.
    "I know he's pretty keen, he's a big boy and he suits that style of winger that we're looking for."
    Hall scored over 200 tries in a glittering career with Leeds in England, also crossing 26 times in 32 Tests for Engla
    nd.
    End Quote

Yeh, read this as well. I have been excited to see Hall play for us since we signed him. He seems like the perfect replacement for Fargo. Also, cronies talked up Crichton in the article too

Leave a comment:

• "gaz"
    replied
    Jake Friend declares most impressive Roosters recruit ahead of South Sydney opener
    Written By Tom Naghten https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/sydney-roosters-south-sydney-round-one-nrl-jake-friend-ryan-hall-angus-crichton/oo73fthdufj7159ym40vdcinm

But when asked which of the new Roosters had impressed him the most, Friend responded: "I'd have to say Hally."
    That's 31-year-old English winger Ryan Hall who will miss a good chunk of the season after rupturing his ACL in the Super League last August.
    "From what he's done in the gym, he's had a knee op and he's been doing his thing on the side there but our records board is full of Ryan Hall," Friend said on Wednesday's Big Sports Breakfast.
    "Once he's fit, it will be good to see how he goes over here.
    "I know he's pretty keen, he's a big boy and he suits that style of winger that we're looking for."
    Hall scored over 200 tries in a glittering career with Leeds in England, also crossing 26 times in 32 Tests for Engla
    nd.
    End Quote

Leave a comment:

• Kelby
    replied
    Originally posted by Waylander View Post

My daughters partner is a very good Rugby player (#12) and an exercise physiologist. He did his ACL playing NRC in 2017. The facts are that if you come back after 6 months you have up to 50% chance of re-injury, and it reduces significantly each month thereafter. He waited the full 9 months & came back just in time to play the last 2 games of the 2018 regular season, then the finals. (Which they won.). A big body like Hall would be well advised to wait the full 9 months recovery period to reduce the risk of re-injury as much as is practical.
    We have Bmoz and Toops, so there is no rush whatsoever.
    Having him available at the start of the SOO period will be fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• Waylander
    replied
    Originally posted by HBK View Post
    before the game, he said he's in month five of rehab, and the doctors had said it was a 6~9 month recovery time. So he could be a month away from returning, or he could be four months away
    My daughters partner is a very good Rugby player (#12) and an exercise physiologist. He did his ACL playing NRC in 2017. The facts are that if you come back after 6 months you have up to 50% chance of re-injury, and it reduces significantly each month thereafter. He waited the full 9 months & came back just in time to play the last 2 games of the 2018 regular season, then the finals. (Which they won.). A big body like Hall would be well advised to wait the full 9 months recovery period to reduce the risk of re-injury as much as is practical.
    Last edited by Waylander; 03-07-2019, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bondi.boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Apparently he got a paper cut when he was reading the 6 page itinerary of the trip to France & England. I also heard he cut himself shaving after training the other day.

Paper cuts are no trivial thing;

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...b3e508efe3f7e0

Infected paper cuts left these people dead or fighting for their lives

A young Aussie’s brush with death after a tiny paper cut turned into a killer flesh eating bug shocked the country, but such cases aren’t as rare as you’d think.

THE story of a young Queenslander’s brush with death after contracting a gruesome flesh-eating bug from a paper cut shocked the country this week but - but such cases are not as rare as you might expect. Ryan Taylor, 26, developed necrotising fasciitis after sustaining the seemingly insignificant injury at his office on July 25.
    The Southport marketing manager knew something was very wrong when his hand swelled up the next day and took himself straight to hospital.
    “At first they had no idea what they were treating,” Mr Taylor told The Gold Coast Bulletin on Tuesday.
    “It had spread from my finger to my elbow in 12 hours. They rushed me into theatre straight away and told me there was a possibility they would have to amputate my arm if it kept spreading, or there could even be loss of life.”

#####

See photo.

Leave a comment:

• "gaz"
    replied
    Return target date now set for R8 the week after the Anzac weekend

Leave a comment:

• novice chook
    replied
    Ryan Hall will get his chance once he recovers from his injury - I can't remember the last time either of the Morris boys went a season injury free. From memory Brett spent a fair bit of his time at the Dogs on the sideline. I reckon between both Hall and Morris we'll get a season out of them.

Leave a comment:

• Louis N
    replied
    Originally posted by ism22 View Post

To be fair, Sam Tomkins (ironically the same name as a total bong head I went to uni with who looks pretty similar too... probably plays about as good too as he was a fit surfie from the gong) had won 3 SL premierships and played ~200 games before going to New Zulland. IMO his biggest issue is that they sold him as being a $1M a year 'Billy Slater' clone, which he was not.

What Hall's got going for him is that he's set realistic expectations. For example in an interview he made it clear he was shadowing and LEARNING FROM Bernard Lewis. To me this attitude's gonna earn him a lot of respect because he's just chillng with the squad and learning from them with no expectation of playing NRL (i.e. no sense of entitlement). He'll be named when he's ready which is way better than being named 1st round, playing, looking like a goose and then bailing.

IMO Burgess' non-selection must have been an attitude thing. He scored some okay tries when I saw him play but when Robbo doesn't pick you, he's telling you there's better options out there. He doesn't seem to say much, he just drops players by not naming them (and instead naming an absolute random in front of them... think Watson for Hastings... 1/2 baked but he played the way Robbo wanted him to). It frustrates me when he does this to somebody like Latrell. However, it got the best outta Latrell, so it works!
    Liked your post ism22 re Tomkins. he never got past a Ripping Yarns hop. And agree re the difference between Hall and Burgess. I think Robbo would not have been impressed that Burgess didn't join the boys at the start of the pre-season training. Waited until after Christmas before he even landed. Coaches would have thought he'd take every opportunity to blend in and boost his fitness levels to NRL standard.

That's probably why he was left out of the St Helens match too. He did show attacking ability and from memory scored a hat trick for Wyong the week he was dropped, but his attitude wasn't right. I think he expected a spot rather than earn it. Luckily he did get a chance to show his wares for our mortal enemy and scored a couple of slick tries. But his defense wasn't up to standard.

Hall has good attitude. A real shame that he did the knee at this stage of his career and especially for his position. It took Jared a couple of years and stem cell injections to get his right. Thank goodness they worked for him. i was impressed by Hall in his appearances for England. He was a genuine threat and didn't seem to put a foot wrong. Great balance for a big man, but can't see him doing Fergo back flips. He was more of the get out of my way, I'm a freight train coming through runner. I really hope his ambition is rewarded but the way Morris is going it will be hard to get a spot. Maybe SOO time will be Hall's big break.

Leave a comment:

• Random Rooster
    replied
    Originally posted by Easts75 View Post
    Hall is a massive human who has just suffered a severe knee injury at a pretty old age. My biggest worry is how fast he can turn his big rig to kicks in behind the line, this has to be a concern
    To be fair it's his first serious injury of any sort and he is 31.....young enough to make a full recovery. He certainly comes across as a player who will do whatever it takes to make it in the NRL. I think after half a dozen hitouts back he will show what he has got..... no excuses if he doesn't live up to the hype

Leave a comment:

• Headless Chook
    replied
    Originally posted by ism22 View Post

To be fair, Sam Tomkins (ironically the same name as a total bong head I went to uni with who looks pretty similar too... probably plays about as good too as he was a fit surfie from the gong) had won 3 SL premierships and played ~200 games before going to New Zulland. IMO his biggest issue is that they sold him as being a $1M a year 'Billy Slater' clone, which he was not.

What Hall's got going for him is that he's set realistic expectations. For example in an interview he made it clear he was shadowing and LEARNING FROM Bernard Lewis. To me this attitude's gonna earn him a lot of respect because he's just chillng with the squad and learning from them with no expectation of playing NRL (i.e. no sense of entitlement). He'll be named when he's ready which is way better than being named 1st round, playing, looking like a goose and then bailing.

IMO Burgess' non-selection must have been an attitude thing. He scored some okay tries when I saw him play but when Robbo doesn't pick you, he's telling you there's better options out there. He doesn't seem to say much, he just drops players by not naming them (and instead naming an absolute random in front of them... think Watson for Hastings... 1/2 baked but he played the way Robbo wanted him to). It frustrates me when he does this to somebody like Latrell. However, it got the best outta Latrell, so it works!
    If by attitude you mean he hated contact and looked for the ground at the earliest opportunity then I agree. He was the most petrified NRL player I have ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• Easts75
    replied
    Hall is a massive human who has just suffered a severe knee injury at a pretty old age. My biggest worry is how fast he can turn his big rig to kicks in behind the line, this has to be a concern

Leave a comment:

• HBK
    replied
    before the game, he said he's in month five of rehab, and the doctors had said it was a 6~9 month recovery time. So he could be a month away from returning, or he could be four months away

Leave a comment:

• ism22
    replied
    Originally posted by fletch View Post
    In his post match press conference today Robbo was asked by one of the UK Media when Ryan Hall would be ready he said it wouldn't be till round 8-10ish, so it's going to be a while before he plays, might see him debut around SOO time.
    Yep Joey said this at 1/2 time too. Joey was also pretty excited about him, said he's make a big impact...

Leave a comment:

• fletch
    replied
    In his post match press conference today Robbo was asked by one of the UK Media when Ryan Hall would be ready he said it wouldn't be till round 8-10ish, so it's going to be a while before he plays, might see him debut around SOO time.
    Last edited by fletch; 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ism22
    replied
    Originally posted by QWERTY View Post

Most of the English backs who try their hand at the nrl are usually quite young and inexperienced. Ryan Hall has played many international games for England, won gfs over there, has 300+ games, and seems level headed. He probably has the best chance of breaking the curse with our team, and I hope he does because I see a lot of potential in him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X