Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The -Etched In History- videos on the Roosters web-site

Hi all, happy new year and all that.

If you haven't watched the first two parts of the "Etched in History" documentary on the official Roosters web-site, do yourself a favour and wander over.

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/201...e-early-years/
    https://www.roosters.com.au/news/201...0s-golden-run/

Today I learned that the Roosters lost the 1908 grand final to the vermin by 2 points without six of their best players because those six had set sail for the 1908 Kangaroos tour of England on the day the finals began!!! As the video said, farcical.

Thus one of the vermin's premierships should have an asterisk beside it to denote the circumstances under which the Roosters had to play. Add in the dishonourable way in which the vermin "won" 1909 grand final and that 21 they claim isn't so impressive.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

the documentary is from the club's 100 years DVD. i think they've uploaded it in full onto their youtube page and added a clip from the 2013 grand final

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
      Today I learned that the Roosters lost the 1908 grand final to the vermin by 2 points without six of their best players because those six had set sail for the 1908 Kangaroos tour of England on the day the finals began!!! As the video said, farcical.

Thus one of the vermin's premierships should have an asterisk beside it to denote the circumstances under which the Roosters had to play. Add in the dishonourable way in which the vermin "won" 1909 grand final and that 21 they claim isn't so impressive.
      To be fair, I think Souths had quite a few of their players on the boat too.

Their 1909 premiership was the dodgy one:
      In 1909 semi-finals were played amongst the four highest placed teams. Top two finishers South Sydney and Balmain were able to win their respective semi-finals.
      However, after the New South Wales Rugby League had planned a match between the Australian rugby union and rugby league teams that would upstage the premiership final, both South Sydney and Balmain unofficially agreed to not play out a final.
      But unknown to Balmain, South Sydney turned up ready to play. The final was deemed to be a forfeit as a result, with South Sydney claiming their second premiership in as many years. Requests from Balmain for the match to be played at a later date were refused by the League.
      Conflict over whether there was an agreement between the two clubs not to play a final caused a deep seated resentment towards Souths by Balmain which lasted many years.

Comment

Big mistake they made when they first formed the league a real old timer who is long gone now that Souffs officials on the ARL board always did everything in the power do fix it their way especially when after the Dave Brown era ...they carved up the bounderies etc ..you know the story.
        Kharma to them one comp in 50 years .At least in my era Ive seen 11 chooks GF's for 5 wins Ill take that over their crappy 1 in 50.
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by HBK View Post
          the documentary is from the club's 100 years DVD. i think they've uploaded it in full onto their youtube page and added a clip from the 2013 grand final
          Yeah, and it's great stuff. Credit to the Club for putting it on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by HBK View Post
            Thanks HBK, I wasn't aware of the DVD.

Spirit, good point on the vermin also being weakened in 1908 if they were though to what degree would be interesting.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post

Thanks HBK, I wasn't aware of the DVD.

Spirit, good point on the vermin also being weakened in 1908 if they were though to what degree would be interesting.
              They were missing 6 as well. The big out for us was obviously Dally M

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

They were missing 6 as well. The big out for us was obviously Dally M
                Thanks HC. Well, canít take that one away from them it appears.

The other thing that I found interesting was the jersey design and the shorts not being white.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post

To be fair, I think Souths had quite a few of their players on the boat too.

Their 1909 premiership was the dodgy one:
                  In 1909 semi-finals were played amongst the four highest placed teams. Top two finishers South Sydney and Balmain were able to win their respective semi-finals.
                  However, after the New South Wales Rugby League had planned a match between the Australian rugby union and rugby league teams that would upstage the premiership final, both South Sydney and Balmain unofficially agreed to not play out a final.
                  But unknown to Balmain, South Sydney turned up ready to play. The final was deemed to be a forfeit as a result, with South Sydney claiming their second premiership in as many years. Requests from Balmain for the match to be played at a later date were refused by the League.
                  Conflict over whether there was an agreement between the two clubs not to play a final caused a deep seated resentment towards Souths by Balmain which lasted many years.
                  I have no doubt that pseudo journalist Andrew Webster ( Souffs public relations agent and fluffer for Rusty, Big Sammy and Fat Richo) would have no trouble inventing a story to put a positive spin on their 1909 "premiership".

God it's embarrassing watching him perform fellatio on Sammy and now Skelator. Here's his latest suck job:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why...11-p50qqm.html

Gotta laugh at SMH's motto - "Independent. Always"

Comment

Working...
                  X