X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chricton

Boy, the Vermin fans will hate this:
    ‘I'm at the Roosters for good now': Crichton realises childhood dream

Just four weeks into life at the premiers and fresh recruit Angus Crichton has proudly declared: "I want to be a Rooster for good".

South Sydney fans will struggle to cope with the images of Crichton in a Roosters jersey – he will meet his former club in a Friday night SCG round-one thriller – but the man himself always dreamt of the red, white and blue.

"I grew up with a Roosters jersey hanging on my wall and sleeping with a stuffed Rooster in my bed," said Crichton, who was raised on a 3000-acre property between Young and Temora in NSW's south west.

"That was the kind of kid I was. It's a childhood dream. It's something I'm loving and how great the club is and how great they've been to me and I can't wait to start playing footy for them.

"Souths don't like Roosters and the Roosters don't like Souths. It's as you see it.

"When I told the boys at Souths I was leaving I said, 'I'm not going to talk about it this year, I'm here for this year'. Now I'm at the Roosters, I plan on finishing my career there and plan on having a long career for the Roosters. It's my childhood team I grew up supporting. I love all the players and all staff there I've met so far.

"I'm enjoying learning under coaching staff and senior players. I'm at the Roosters for good now."

Crichton signed a three-year deal with the Roosters they claim is for about $750,000 a season, but Souths were told it was closer to $1 million.

The gifted Australian schoolboy knows the timing of his contract allows him to switch back to rugby and give himself 18 months to prepare for a possible Wallabies jersey and the 2023 World Cup in France. But Crichton made a point of not looking beyond his current deal and trying to win three straight titles with the Chooks.

Angus Crichton and Daniel Tupou in 2014. Angus Crichton and Daniel Tupou in 2014.CREDIT:INSTAGRAM
    "Nobody signs long-term deals these days and right now I'm signed with the Roosters for three years and that's where my attention is," Crichton said.

"Three years is a long time. Over the next three years here at the Roosters, my head is I want to win three competitions, and that's what I want to do.

"If you ask a player if you think their team will win at this time of the year, it doesn't matter what club they're at, be it Parramatta, the Sharks, the Roosters or Bulldogs, they'll all say yes.

"I think every time you go to training you train to win the competition, especially at the Roosters where everyone strives for greatness and to make each other better. I want to win premierships and win games. Life's better when you're winning."

Crichton will wear the No.12 jersey and be parked on the right edge alongside Cooper Cronk and Kiwi whiz Joey Manu. NSW and Kangaroos skipper Boyd Cordner already occupies the left edge.

The Roosters could have up to five NSW Origin representatives in 2019 with five-eighth Luke Keary looking to join incumbents Crichton, Cordner, Latrell Mitchell and Brad Fittler Medallist James Tedesco.

Crichton was not fazed by the daunting record of teams winning back-to-back titles in the modern era, with Brisbane the last club to do so in a unified competition more than 25 years ago.

He praised coach Trent Robinson, who he says he has found easy to work with and the man who could further improve his game.

Unlike last summer, Crichton, who struggled after several surgeries, including the amputation of a finger, has been able to hit the ground running at the Roosters.

Well that gave me an early morning boner. Thanks for posting.

I think Crichton will be a revelation on the right edge next to Manu. He's a brilliant natural footballer who runs great lines and can off load.

And more importantly another good bloke added to the lockerroom. Meanwhile the likes of Stain George are adding Corey Norman to theirs.

What a great off season this has been and we may be about to witness one of the great seasons as a Roosters fan.

Happy days.

Comment

Just shows you how big Tupou is.

So right edge will be Angus, Manu, Cronk and Tupou?

Comment

Wonderful to hear of Angus' enthusiasm for the club and his lofty ambitions. What confuses me is why he went to the wabbits in the first place if he was already at his childhood club.
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I like the line about the Roosters “’claiming”’ to be paying him $750k while Souths “’have been told”’ it’s $1m. This latter figure came out of the Vermin PR department at the time of his signing. They were undoubtedly trying to head off any fan criticism of the huge proportion of their Cap that is absorbed by the dick flasher, the eye gouger and co.

Comment

Originally posted by thelonerooster View Post
            wonderful to hear of angus' enthusiasm for the club and his lofty ambitions. What confuses me is why he went to the wabbits in the first place if he was already at his childhood club.
            money

Comment

Wonderful article.

It was clear he wasn’t happy last season in that dysfunctional Souffs atmosphere. With some good coaching I expect him to explode this season.

Just another reason I can’t wait for it to start.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                Wonderful to hear of Angus' enthusiasm for the club and his lofty ambitions. What confuses me is why he went to the wabbits in the first place if he was already at his childhood club.
                What I was led to believe was that the Roosters were a bit slack in securing him at the time by locking in Nat Butcher instead. Maguire had a meeting with Gus and offered him a NRL deal and he grabbed it. It was always going to be a return to the Chooks on his form during the 2 years he was at Souths. The Chooks would have been very disappointed they let him go. His long term goal would have been to return one day to the team he loved as a kid. Therefore when the time came allowing other teams to talk with him it was inevitable he would return home. I also think he will go to another level at the Chooks and more than likely in years to come Captain the team.
                Dont underestimate what a big signing he is for our team. I am sorry we lost Matto but from the day Gus signed the writing was on the wall. Give him a bit of time to gel and he will be outstanding on the right edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
                  Just shows you how big Tupou is.

So right edge will be Angus, Manu, Cronk and Tupou?
                  why would tupou swap?

Comment

While I don’t think there is any strong reason for Toops to swap to the right, a few have suggested it as BMoz has always played left and Hall predominately on the left. Hall has played right wing for England though. Toops does seem to like to carry the ball, and put it down, with his right hand. He may go well on the right side if he did move.

Comment

Good to see he let that souffs hairdo grow out!

Comment

Originally posted by oldrooster View Post
                        Good to see he let that souffs hairdo grow out!
                        It’s a 4 year old photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
                          While I don’t think there is any strong reason for Toops to swap to the right, a few have suggested it as BMoz has always played left and Hall predominately on the left. Hall has played right wing for England though. Toops does seem to like to carry the ball, and put it down, with his right hand. He may go well on the right side if he did move.
                          Actually these days players on the left wing are more likely to ground the ball in the corner with their right hand as the corner posts are no longer in play. It allows them more reach if they are diving towards the sideline when grounding the ball.

it doesn’t make much sense to change both the left and right side 3/4 combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
                            That's pretty much why. Toops has said he is happy to play right.
                            Bmoz and Hall are lefties.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

why would tupou swap?
                              He has been playing on the wrong side all this time. He puts the ball down with the right arm and has no fend because he carries the ball in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X