NRL making plans for interstate grand final if stadiums plan torn up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRL making plans for interstate grand final if stadiums plan torn up

Opposition Leader Michael Daley will go down in history as the person who cost Sydney the NRL grand final if he wins the state election in March.

Daley, who has been in the job for less than a month, stunned all the major football codes when he announced during the week he would stop all new stadium funding. Daley didn’t consult any of the key players before dropping the bombshell. In fact, he made the announcement at Moore Park – a few steps from the office of NRL boss Todd Greenberg – and still didn’t tell him.

Daley appears to believe the NRL is bluffing and would not dare to take the grand final interstate. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Other states, particularly Queensland and Victoria, would pay big money to steal the NRL decider from NSW. Victoria, for example, would be able to host the AFL and NRL grand finals on consecutive weekends. The tourism benefits of that double-header would be amazing.

The NRL is also keen to prove it is not Sydney-centric – that is why it is taking Origin matches to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Taking grand finals to other states would further boost this campaign. It would also ensure a quick sell-out – unlike some of the recent battles the NRL has had filling ANZ Stadium on the big day.

It would be the ultimate humiliation for a NSW Government to lose its premier sporting event to another state. But it just might happen.
    Last edited by roosters75; 12-02-2018, 08:37 AM.

I personally think pulling down Allianz & replacing it with a stadium with the same amount of seating is wrong. They should be rebuilding ANZ stadium into a 80,000 seat cauldron making it the best stadium in Australia. If the NRL want to move the GF out of Sydney big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
      I personally think pulling down Allianz & replacing it with a stadium with the same amount of seating is wrong. They should be rebuilding ANZ stadium into a 80,000 seat cauldron making it the best stadium in Australia. If the NRL want to move the GF out of Sydney big deal.
      Yep, if the chooks aren’t in the big dance, then it doesn’t really matter where they play for me, would be a nice excuse to go to Perth next October though.

Comment

And now we see why the ridiculous cash splash was 'needed'...
        1. NSW Libs are gonna get their butt kicked. This gives them a story about how Labor doesn't support all the working class NSW battlers who watch rugby league (although it's really about palming off money to Fox and Channel 9 because fans don't actually want/need the stadiums until Channel 9/Fox tell them).
        2. Stuart Ayres is gonna be punted off into unemployment (might have to go back to his marketing role with ACPE + 'shoot the boot' antics at Uni Games) so he's the face of this.
        3. Laaaaame. We'll get blanket media coverage about how the ALP wrecked the plan to make amazing new stadiums. Once this all calms down you'll see the private sector pulling out its wallet to fun the same upgrades for 1/100th of the price when push comes to shove.
        Last edited by ism22; 12-02-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Homiebush is a shithole.

Move the GF for a few years, build a real stadium at Moore Park and bring the GF back whenever we make it.

You know it makes sense.

You flogs.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

depends how soon the libs start demolition? they are intent on politicising the situation as they have nothing else

Comment

I can tell people that this stance of NSW Labor is a winner. Not with the cultural elites as the cab driver puts it but with people who don't want to see 1.8 Billion (a low estimate) wasted on an unnecessary knockdown and rebuild of stadia for political gain. I know from first hand experience the trust is full of upper class twits who would not give two shits about the 'working class'.

I'm no fan of Michael Daley but I back him 100% on this.

Comment

State politics suck.
                I cant say its any better in QLD.

Comment

Allianz stadium is a death trap...for more than one reason.
                  It has to go...and will be demolished before the March election.
                  Exactly the right thing to do.

If Roosters fans want a new stadium for our team to play in...and want better everything on game days than they have now...they'd better start talking up Premier Gladys and her stadium plans ...or risk having the SCG as our home ground forever.

Comment

Anyone who thinks Labor govts are great should go sit on a chair in a dark room for a while and think very deeply about their choices.
                    Labor govt was in power in NSW for 16 years...couldn't even work out how to introduce an Opal card type system.
                    Useless...they were eventually booted out.

Now...people are thinking of voting Labor back in again!
                    HEAVEN HELP US ALL.

Comment

Just another reason to hate Labor...they are like a Souths team coached by Wayne Bennett.

Comment

The M4 extension and the duplication of the M5 tunnels and M5 widening should have been done 20 years ago.... The then Labor gov't only ever presented plans and never built a thing.

If the stadiums don't get built now you need to wait another 20 years. for a lot more $.

Comment

This situation has escalated into the main agenda for the state election. Unfortunately for the liberal government there is a large section of voters who are totally against the Stadium development. This issue could cost the Libs the election. Incredible but true. I for one go to all our home games and I didn’t think Alliance needed demolishing. I thought a renovation would do, but that’s not obviously on the agenda. The real possibility of the SFS becoming just a hole in the ground is a catastrophe. It will significantly affect our team and could quite possibly derail our future seasons. I for one hope the SCG Trust sees sense and waits until after the election before commencing the demolition. That way if Labor do get in we won’t be left with a giant hole in the ground as our future home. I don’t think they will because I think they will dig their heels in and charge on regardless of the possible consequences.

Comment

With this latest attempted sacking of the auxiliary workers by the trust, it exposes just how self serving they are. I ditched my gold pass before all this Stadia bullshit started and I'm sure as hell not going to get it back as long as tv has the rights to the Football.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                              And now we see why the ridiculous cash splash was 'needed'...
                              1. NSW Libs are gonna get their butt kicked. This gives them a story about how Labor doesn't support all the working class NSW battlers who watch rugby league (although it's really about palming off money to Fox and Channel 9 because fans don't actually want/need the stadiums until Channel 9/Fox tell them).
                              2. Stuart Ayres is gonna be punted off into unemployment (might have to go back to his marketing role with ACPE + 'shoot the boot' antics at Uni Games) so he's the face of this.
                              3. Laaaaame. We'll get blanket media coverage about how the ALP wrecked the plan to make amazing new stadiums. Once this all calms down you'll see the private sector pulling out its wallet to fun the same upgrades for 1/100th of the price when push comes to shove.
                              nailed it
                              Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Working...
                              X