penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penalties

Apologies if this has been asked here before recently somewhere. Plenty on here have rightly complained about the lack of penalties that we receive from the refs or the hammering that they often give us.

I was watching a bit of the sharks game on the weekend and couldn't help but notice the helping hand that they got from the refs with penalties. The penalty count ended up a whopping 12 - 5.

Each week you will see different teams get a big leg up by the refs with one-sided penalty counts in their favour.

It made me start to think about when was the last time, despite our very successful years of being up near the top of the table each year, when was the last time that we received anything that remotely resembled a big penalty count in our favour in a game? I can't remember the last time. The odd times that I remember that we do win a penalty count (uncommon that it is), it seems to me that it would only be by a penalty or two difference max.

Does anyone here that loves their stats know when was the last time that we received a big penalty count difference in our favour in a game?

Match at home a couple of months ago to Penrith was 9-3 count our way, match at home to Souths 12-7 our way (and we were still hammered) - they do happen.

Comment

To help the game many penalties should just be a simple turnover (No kicking for sideline or goal), especially penalties against the attacking side, like incorrect play the ball, double movement, accidental obstruction etc this will reduce lost time and reduce the referees influence on the result.
      I would not like to see the Grand Final decided by a incorrect play the ball

Comment

Lol here we go.

Tommy Smith will provide some stats to prove we’ve been on the wrong end of penalty counts since 1908

Comment

Originally posted by "gaz" View Post
          To help the game many penalties should just be a simple turnover (No kicking for sideline or goal), especially penalties against the attacking side, like incorrect play the ball, double movement, accidental obstruction etc this will reduce lost time and reduce the referees influence on the result.
          I would not like to see the Grand Final decided by a incorrect play the ball
          I've liked this idea for a long time as it would reduce the effect leg up penaltys late in a count have. I also think scrums should be done away with and just have a handover to speed the game up and keep the ball in play more. It's becoming like union where there is only 50 minutes of actual game time.
          Anything to reduce the impact of athletes and promote more footballers is better for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxy Walker View Post
            Lol here we go.

Tommy Smith will provide some stats to prove we’ve been on the wrong end of penalty counts since 1908
            Lol. Again, keep acting like this figure is not lopsided at all.

Comment

Lol here we go.

possibly he does because stats don’t lie. The truth is in the data

Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Lol here we go.

Its pretty damning Tangles, wouldn't you say?

Comment

i like the idea of a penalty just being hand the ball over no loss of ground etc.. minimal influence on the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Its pretty damning Tangles, wouldn't you say?
                    It’s pretty damn boring.

Sure it doesn’t look good over time but we’ve generally had a pretty decent run in the past couple of seasons.

Pretty boring IMO whipping yourselves up into a self righteous frenzy over penalty counts from 5 or 10 years ago but whatever floats your boat.

Comment

So all these stats say what? That the NRL/Officials don’t want us to win? And for what reason? If there was such an order from the top it would be akin to match fixing. If there was that wouldn’t someone within the organisation would have squealed about such an order? However I do agree that there’s something shifty with the way teams like the broncos get a leg up with refs like Sutton or Klein.

Comment

Interesting to note that manly, Melbourne and us are the most successful in that period yet all negative differential.

Comment

It’s pretty damn boring.

Sure it doesn’t look good over time but we’ve generally had a pretty decent run in the past couple of seasons.

Pretty boring IMO whipping yourselves up into a self righteous frenzy over penalty counts from 5 or 10 years ago but whatever floats your boat.
                          Speaking of boring.
                          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Brass View Post

I've liked this idea for a long time as it would reduce the effect leg up penaltys late in a count have. I also think scrums should be done away with and just have a handover to speed the game up and keep the ball in play more. It's becoming like union where there is only 50 minutes of actual game time.
                            Anything to reduce the impact of athletes and promote more footballers is better for the game.
                            Same here, I bought it up a couple years ago. Add formally removing any kind of interpretation of intent from the rules (i.e. penalty for an intentional forward pass), and anything else that makes the rules simpler for refs to police.

Originally posted by jism
                            I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigchook View Post
                              Interesting to note that manly, Melbourne and us are the most successful in that period yet all negative differential.
                              Mate, the only reason we won the penalty count against manly in the GF was because the nrl didn’t want manly winning a 3rd grand final 6 yrs, keep up.

Comment

Working...
                              X