Will Napa change his tackling style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Napa change his tackling style?

I’ve noticed an evolution of Dylan Napa’s tackling style over the years after the shoulder charge was banned. He has gotten very low and drives up and manages to get an arm around the ballrunner. He had got better at it recently until just now where poor old Ashton Sims stepped the wrong way and BANG.

Do you think Napa will change his tackling style in light of the head clash with Sims?
    Yes, it’s reckless and Kamikaze like
    5.88%
    No, it’s just unlucky and within the rules
    76.47%
    Just a little, and not lead with his head
    17.65%
    ..it’ll be interesting to see

I’m gonna play devils advocate with this whole Napa thing. I was at the game so have only just seen a proper replay and these are my thoughts:

- it was a stupidly risky tackle under the circumstances. Scores tied, down their end, just make the tackle instead of risking a big shot that could and did go wrong
    - under the current rules the onus is on the tackler not to make contact with the head. So why is their any onus on the broncos player to not step in a way the results in a head clash that results in a broken jaw? The onus is all on Napa. Obviously not deliberate but it was his tackling style that created the head clash and the injury and tbh I think he was lucky not to be charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxy Walker View Post
      I’m gonna play devils advocate with this whole Napa thing. I was at the game so have only just seen a proper replay and these are my thoughts:

- it was a stupidly risky tackle under the circumstances. Scores tied, down their end, just make the tackle instead of risking a big shot that could and did go wrong
      - under the current rules the onus is on the tackler not to make contact with the head. So why is their any onus on the broncos player to not step in a way the results in a head clash that results in a broken jaw? The onus is all on Napa. Obviously not deliberate but it was his tackling style that created the head clash and the injury and tbh I think he was lucky not to be charged.
      It's not often I agree with you but the tackle wasn't worth the risk. I don't believe he should have gone to the bin but a penalty and being put on report was probably warranted because as you say, the tackler has the responsibility to not make contact with the head, even accidentally. I just hope for some consistency going forward.

Comment

You definitely aren't the "Boogie" character then...he never attended games despite living in Sydney, and was somewhat less articulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

You definitely aren't the "Boogie" character then...he never attended games despite living in Sydney, and was somewhat less articulate.
          No, I’m definitely not the boogie character. That’s just Tobin who thinks that, because his ego is so huge that he can’t comprehend that there are multiple people who disagree with him so he tries to pass it off as one person under multiple aliases.
          Last edited by Maxy Walker; 05-21-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

No. The end.

Comment

He would lose his effectiveness if he tried to change his tackling style. That's what he is there for , to race up and put hits on. It was a terrible call to sin bin him and Sutton ensured we would struggle to win the game by making the call at that crucial time. I don't want to see him stop being aggressive in defence because he adds little in attack

Comment

nope

Comment

Bloody Queenslanders! When will they learn to tackle? Nat Myles’ head shot on Robbie Farah a few years ago was called accidental by all
                  and sundry expect people south of the border. The people calling for Napa’s blood were probably the same people saying Myles’ tackle was accidental. Muppets!
                  Sickie Lame .... King of Bestiality

Comment

He was just starting to really perfect that unique tackle too.. then out comes the plane, ready for take off
                    ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Why would he it’s not illegal.

Comment

God forbid we allow some aggression from our defenders.

this league will turn into the NFL in the way it prioritises attack over defence and it will lead to a sub par product.

actually, you can say it's a sub par product now.

League 7-12years back was the best product in Australian sport. Now it is just languishing.

Comment

Makes sense in hindsight and I agree, I was spitting chips when I saw the contact because I was like WTF MAN?!?!? YOU WILL LOSE US THE GAME AAAND GET SUSPENDED TOO YOU FARKING IDIOT!!!!

IMO what youve gotta do is put yourself in his shoes though. It is legal for him to tackle hard, he DID force a knock-on (which woulda broken Brisbane’s back) and it isnt his fault that Sims is a farking idiot who stepped into his head.

Nobody intentionally goes in wither their head and tries to head-butt players. NOBODY!!!!! A tackle is ALWAYS head-first and the only gripe the bunker (not Sutton BTW) had was that they thought it was an intentional head-butt. The match review committee had a beer, took a chill pill, took it out of the context of a heated finish to a game and disagreed.

End of the day it was a legal tackle and the only issue was that Sims mis-timed his step. He broke his jaw and will be out for 6 weeks (although on the night Wayne said he didnt... is it all a bluff?)

WHAT DOESNT GET MENTIONED is that Thaiday then walked in and gave Napa a straight arm tackle. Thaiday is now trying to take the moral high-ground qhen he shoulda been sent off.

In another parallel universe we won the game by 20 points. Latrell converted, we scrored off the set of six caused by Sims knocking on, Brisbane didnt score and then we scored again off Cronks linebreak. All hypothetical, but would we even be debating this if the Roosters won by 20 (as they shoulda) and Napa wasnt sent off? I wonder.

Comment

For weeks the Roosters pack was criticised for not having a go. The last couple of weeks they have been great. Napa has led the way and I for one don’t want him to change. I thought it was a great tackle but unfortunately ended in injury. If that hadn’t been the outcome I doubt Napa would be copping so much scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post
                              For weeks the Roosters pack was criticised for not having a go. The last couple of weeks they have been great. Napa has led the way and I for one don’t want him to change. I thought it was a great tackle but unfortunately ended in injury. If that hadn’t been the outcome I doubt Napa would be copping so much scrutiny.
                              It’s when Napa and jwh play the best, they put fear in the opposition when they play mental. But it seems 0 or 10 with them, and 10 sees them spending time on the sideline.

Comment

Working...
                              X