Mitchell defensive liability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitchell defensive liability

I watched the game against the Sharks live, and then replayed it again today. Latrell Mitchell is a huge worry in defence. He rushed out of the line on several occasions, one virtually giving Cronulla their first try. They attacked through him several times and if they had held the ball could easily have put 3 more tries on us. He didn't offer much in attack either, passing to Robinson is an impossible position. Even when he does make a tackle he is lazy getting back into position. Mitchell seems to be clueless in defensive positional play, and I am sure Souths will run plenty at him. We won against the Sharks because of some very good scrambling defence, albeit against a bumbling Sharks attack, and a great kicking game, better ball security and 4 tries from kicks. Souths played a gutsy game against a very good St George side, and went close to winning it, even without their best player in Sam Burgess. We will have to play much better than we did against the Sharks to beat the Bunnies.

1. You are correct

2. I wouldn't swap him for any other centre in the game

Comment

After watching the tape I am sure he won't be doing that against Dane Gagai....

Comment

His defence could use some improvement but he is hardly clueless and has done some pretty slick stuff in defence too.

I suggest that you have not watched a game of footy in the last 18 months if you reckon he does nothing in attack. Latrell is one of the most exciting attacking weapons out there. He is one of few players in the comp who I would pass the ball to if we werr down by 6 and it was the last play of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
          His defence could use some improvement but he is hardly clueless and has done some pretty slick stuff in defence too.

I suggest that you have not watched a game of footy in the last 18 months if you reckon he does nothing in attack. Latrell is one of the most exciting attacking weapons out there. He is one of few players in the comp who I would pass the ball to if we werr down by 6 and it was the last play of the game.
          My post was to do with our last game, and I didn't say he did NOTHING in attack. He needs to improve his defence. Rose coloured glasses won't help.

Comment

He is 20... Will Chambers wasn't an exceptional defender when he started off.

Comment

a new combo as well right after pre season probably didnt help, manu had the whole pre season training with fergo and has improved a lot. no tupou has probably thrown him a little bit

Comment

He needs to do a bit of fine tuning, but when he hits someone they stay hit, and the one-on-one strip is always on.

Comment

He)s still a kid so I’ll cut him some slack. We are very lucky to have him and every one of the other 15 clubs would love to have him on their books.

Comment

And in attack he's one of those blokes who can create something out of nothing.

Comment

Both of our centre's can't defend, like others say they are young but hopefully they improve considerably as the year goes on.
                      Jennings in the centre's was a beast in defense for us, this part of his game was massively underrated.

Comment

I would rather have the kid who can create something from nothing than the one who is a defensive wall.

Comment

Nene McDonald didn’t show as much potential as Mitchell and look where he is now, let’s allow Mitchell to develop a little longer, otherwise he will be running at our defence and causing havoc.

Comment

Originally posted by roostwin View Post
                            Nene McDonald didn’t show as much potential as Mitchell and look where he is now, let’s allow Mitchell to develop a little longer, otherwise he will be running at our defence and causing havoc.
                            Very good point.

I do agree that Lattrell dropped his guard in defence on the weekend , a rare low point in an overall strong team performance. He needs to focus on every ruck.

But give me two young attacking centres ahead of a "nil all" stonewall jackson type anyday.

Latrell cant ever leave this joint.

Comment

Mitchell is very aggresive he has plenty to work with. He just may become one of the best centres tbe game has ever seen. As he matures hel develope a better all round game and i think he has the brains to learn. The sky is the limit

Comment

Working...
                              X