JWH is in for a rough year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

My kind of understanding was that each play tbe ball situation was technically a "ruck" where either the attacking or defending player "the marker " could both strike for the ball and must use their feet. Used to get some players quite adept at winning the ball from marker in the play the ball.

These days i think its unstated purpose is to slow the ruck down a little.
    Yeah this. See modern scrums also: in place as a quirky way to create a game dynamic; ie a restart with backs vs backs.
    Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

I agree, can’t see why they don’t just let minor forward passes go either, and get rid of the scrum too as it serves no purpose. If we want a game with no rules and abysmal handling, we could all just go and support AFL.
      both those things have a reason for existing, touching the ball with the foot adds nothing anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post

Yeah this. See modern scrums also: in place as a quirky way to create a game dynamic; ie a restart with backs vs backs.
        Which in itself is a nonsense these days as the scrum forms from whoever is not wanted in the "backline" for that first play...props at first receiver etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

Which in itself is a nonsense these days as the scrum forms from whoever is not wanted in the "backline" for that first play...props at first receiver etc..
          Yeah good point. So it’s 1 tackle of 7-on7 then.
          Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

both those things have a reason for existing, touching the ball with the foot adds nothing anymore
            touching the ball with your foot pretty much ensures the player is on both feet while playing the ball, there are some shocking play the balls these days, which in turn, catches markers offside and get penalised, when they weren’t given a fair chance to get in position. The more you allow simple rules to be let go, the more we will see other rules slip.

Comment

H1.jpg
              "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

H2.jpg
                "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

I forgive him for the odd one

If he can make more meters pill in hand

He's overdue, at his age .....make or break

Both of them
                  "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

They aren’t in the same category.

JWH was the best prop in the world before his knee blew out.

Napa is living off one game. Kind of like Scott Sattler.

Comment

But it’s all about play the balls, not tackles and stuff.

JWH will be fiiiine. Although, the game is gonna become frigging boring if we see a penalty every time a play the ball doesn’t meet the standards. Seriously, I reckon most incorrect play the balls should result in players being told to get back and do it again. It’s REALLY annoying when they ping a guy for a borderline call early on in the tackle count.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
                        They aren’t in the same category.

JWH was the best prop in the world before his knee blew out.

Napa is living off one game. Kind of like Scott Sattler.
                        Napa still bashes the shyte outta big targets. He’s not a complete player but fasaark his tackles rattle some bones!!!!

Um. JWH? I feel he was over-rated as a kid and has never quite become the amazing prop that people hoped he’d become. BUT... he’s solid and he is the kinda guy who you always want to have on your team. TBH that’s good enough for me as a guy who is essentially a one club player and would probably earn mint on the open market.

My worry is guys getting too comfortable. I like a Tetevano story because you have a guy who is trying to prove he is worth a second chance after what he’s done... a VERY big ask.

JWH was ‘the SBW of union’ back in the day and I dunno. He’s a solid prop. However, he isn’t an 80 minute back rower who does silky cutout passes and stuff. I hope he’s trying to better himself and isnt too comfortable because I reckon he can offer more.
                        Last edited by ism22; 02-09-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

touching the ball with your foot pretty much ensures the player is on both feet while playing the ball, there are some shocking play the balls these days, which in turn, catches markers offside and get penalised, when they weren’t given a fair chance to get in position. The more you allow simple rules to be let go, the more we will see other rules slip.
                          Milanja I agree rules are rules but rules are there to be exploited to the best of your advantage , if you can not get an advantage don, t break them.
                          There are 2 things wrong as I see it
                          1. There are more important rules that need to be interpreted consistently than playing the ball with your foot, why have they picked that when stepping forward of the mark , crowding the PTB, interfering with the PTB, marking either side of the PTB effects the game more.
                          2. No one wants a game ruined by a “ penalty fest “ by a pedantic Ref whose interpretation is slighted by a biased weighting on the last eat “rule of the month” mentality ,, decisions should be enforced based on the influence it has on the flow of the game

Comment

JWH.

JWH needs to shut his mouth, play the ball properly, look for off loads, get off the ground quicker instead of looking like a turtle on its back and find the fire again.
                            He and Napa have been so disappointing lately.

Comment

Let me start by saying I'm probably a "fanboy" when it comes to JWH but.... For me this season is make or break for JWH. Can't afford for a pack leader like him to have 2 poor seasons in a row. And even if he was to leave, another poor season would see his $ value drop.

Comment

I think JWH is copping some harsh comments because of that Cowboys final, when his stats for 2017 were very impressive. In fact they exceeded his 2015 stats before he did his knee in terms of meters run each game and tackles effected.

No doubt he hit a purple patch in 2015 and was the standout prop in the second half of that year. Who can forget the kick chase tackle on Gidley that absolutely smashed him in goal after JWH had run about forty yards prior. Or him turning the game against the Bulldogs with his aggressive runinng and defence. Or the try against the Eels where he just brushed defenders off like flies. And then the knee early in the Broncos game.

Jared weighs in lighter now than those days. I don't know whether that's related to better managing his knee. But in terms of work rate and keeping the ruck area covered he's still way up there.

Comment

Working...
                                X