Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revamped attack

With a new #1 and #7, I expect our attack
    to be very different to what we have been used to, particularly since Pearce is no longer calling the shots.
    i expect less bombs on the last tackle and maybe more inside plays with Tedesco running off Cronk’s hip.

Exciting times ahead if it all clicks from the get go!!

Originally posted by JAF View Post
    to be very different to what we have been used to, particularly since Pearce is no longer calling the shots.
    i expect less bombs on the last tackle and maybe more inside plays with Tedesco running off Cronk’s hip.

Agree.
    Roosters For Ever

Comment

will be interesting to see what Robbo wants or gets from our attacking structure. Either Cronk stays the same, letting the 9 (smith>friend) be first receiver sometimes and staying on the right side mostly.

Or just having Cronk be first receiver most of the time and playing left and right.

The bomb is not going to disappear with Pearce.

Cronk is pretty accurate although so far he's got a dropout. Toops and fergo have to make it count like the angry Fijian.

Comment

I feel like the bomb was a Robbo tactic but it was there te because he wasn’t super confident with the rest of Pearce’s kicking game.

Cronk has just about the best boot in the game so I’d say more variety will definitely be on the cards next year.

Comment

I dont expect it to click from the get go.
          Cronk has a whole new bunch of teammates to get to know, and his offseason has been somewhat cut because of the WC.
          So may take a bit of time to get it all together, but the good thing is he wont have to contend with SOO, so that will help

Comment

With a backline including Teddy, Toups, Latrell, Manu and Keary it would be hard to stop that sizzling.

Comment

I reckon you are dreaming mate. The bomb as executed by Pearce is a defensive, high percentage play designed to keep teams in the corner (box) with heaps of hang time to allow the chase to get there. Pearce is also one of the best in the NRL at executing it.

When our nancy boy forwards are making <40m a set it was the only tactic available.

Expect Cronk to do the same, with a bit more variation.
              Originally posted by jism
              I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper Hands View Post
                I reckon you are dreaming mate. The bomb as executed by Pearce is a defensive, high percentage play designed to keep teams in the corner (box) with heaps of hang time to allow the chase to get there. Pearce is also one of the best in the NRL at executing it.

When our nancy boy forwards are making <40m a set it was the only tactic available.

I agree. Those massive floaters where the ball moves around in the air like a balloon with a hole in it are very low percentage IMO and could easily be kicked into the 10th row if not executed perfectly. The ball needs to be hit in the middle of the belly, and is hard enough to do with a soccer ball. The only 2 players I've seen execute these perfectly almost every time they attempt it are young Cleary & Morgan. The torpedo is another option which aint used much but is easier to do. Otherwise Pearce's end over enders are high percentage and he's one of the best at them. Did anyone notice NSW used it really well in origin in Game 1 (1st half).
                Last edited by PeeGee; 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM.
                Roosters For Ever

Comment

More fanboy bullshit, the guy is gone, stick up for him all you like on a Newcastle fan page
                  Bringer of Rain, Embrace the Hate, Freedom for All

Comment

Originally posted by The Thracian View Post

More fanboy bullshit, the guy is gone, stick up for him all you like on a Newcastle fan page
                    Take your ball and go home mate, pretty sure you have done that plenty of times based on your Avatar. I'll post what I like where I like. Especially when the response is to a post that shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the game.

If you don't like it, skip the content or block me.
                    I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

while eyes are on Cronk & Ted

expect Keary to be the action man......LM will be a happy recipient.
                      "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Take your ball and go home mate, pretty sure you have done that plenty of times based on your Avatar. I'll post what I like where I like. Especially when the response is to a post that shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the game.

If you don't like it, skip the content or block me.
                        Hmm ... a fundamental lack of understanding of the game, huh?

My comments are based on playing to a player's strengths, and for Pearce (and the team's tactics at the time), it was the high bomb for field position and trying to pin the opposition in their end of the field without giving away a 7-tackle set.

However I believe Cronk has different strengths, like a more accurate short kicking game and better reading of the game in general.
                        Therefore, I stand by my original comment of expecting less bombs as our 5th tackle options.

But time will tell I suppose ...

Comment

Hmm ... a fundamental lack of understanding of the game, huh?

My comments are based on playing to a player's strengths, and for Pearce (and the team's tactics at the time), it was the high bomb for field position and trying to pin the opposition in their end of the field without giving away a 7-tackle set.

However I believe Cronk has different strengths, like a more accurate short kicking game and better reading of the game in general.
                          Therefore, I stand by my original comment of expecting less bombs as our 5th tackle options.

But time will tell I suppose ...
                          Apologies, JAF. That was uncalled for by me.

I do agree with you that we will see less (see my variation comment), I just don't reckon it will be a massive difference due to the importance of the bomb..

Comment

I dont care what the tactical reason behind the last tackle high easy catch bombs are.

Get rid of them!

You need variety and the element of surprise in your last play arsenal.

Let it be only one of many options not the boring predictable default.

Over to you Coops.

Comment

Recall Matt Elliott saying the odds of scoring off a kick into the box is 5%. Hence the reason.

i think we all agree Cronk has more options than Pearse to achieve desired outcome
                              Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Working...
                              X