• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Anti-slapping rules

Sin-bin for slapping introduced

Media Release, NRL.COM
    Wed 12th April, 05:00PM

Players will risk being sent to the sin bin if they slap an opponent from this weekend.
    The NRL Competition Committee said today the recent trend of players slapping others, following the banning of the punch, was a poor look for the game.

As a result, referees will be encouraged to use the sin bin for open-handed slaps to the face.

“Slapping is not a good look for the game and I support any efforts to ensure that it is not a part of Rugby League,” Sydney Roosters Coach Trent Robinson said.

“The game has worked hard for a long time on its image for all people, but particularly for children and mothers, and this sends the right message to them.”

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire said the sin bin would be an effective way of deterring open-handed slapping.

“We have seen instances of punching reduce significantly and we hope to now see a similar trend with slapping," Mr Maguire said.

Today’s meeting included Robinson, Maguire, Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga, ARLC Chairman John Grant, Commissioner Wayne Pearce, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan, RLPA General Manager – Player Relations Clint Newton, former Jillaroos Captain Karyn Murphy, as well as Greg Inglis (alternate for Kangaroos Captain Cameron Smith).

Mr Canavan said players, coaches and officials were embarrassed by slapping incidents.

“Slapping may not always hurt physically but it is a poor look for the game and a bad example to juniors,” he said.

“Referees will now be empowered to deal with slapping incidents as they would with punches – by using the sin bin.”

Based on the current Laws and Interpretations, the Bunker can intervene in instances where a player should be sent to the sin bin.

The committee also recommended:
    • The current process around concussion and Head Injury Assessments should remain while further analysis is undertaken on the issue;
    • Not to introduce an 18th man to replace players forced out of a game through a head injury, although the game will continue to review interchange procedures;
    • The NRL Medical Advisory Panel should make any recommendation on whether independent doctors should be used for head injury incidents.

The Committee discussed player workload and balance as well as the continuing game trends following the reduction to eight interchanges.

The Committee was also given an update on the offside line technology and the Women’s Rugby League working group.

During a State of the Game update, the Committee was told that after five rounds:
    • Average video referral (Bunker) decision times were tracking 8 percent faster than 2016 (59 seconds on average in 2017 compared to 64 seconds in 2016), while referral rates were significantly down on 2016 (2.80 per game in 2017, compared to 3.53 in 2016);
    • Average game margins were tracking to be the closest since 2011, while the percentage of games decided by 6 points or less was up from 34% in 2016 to 38% in 2017.

Read more at http://www.roosters.com.au/news/2017...bVaD8Qq0zvD.99

sjws win again making this sport too feminine

Comment

Does that include coaches slapping their own players? Ie. Brown v Barrett 😁
      Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Originally posted by boogie View Post
        sjws win again making this sport too feminine
        But isn't slapping feminine?

Good decision to outlaw that shit.

Comment

Soon players will be sent to the bin for tackling an opposition player. Not a fan of the slap but this is what happens with the game trying to market itself as a game mommies and want their little kids playing. The punch was banned, now the slap, next the non rascist or sexist sledge (as those other sledges are rightly dealt with atm), then the common assault known as the tackle.

May as well play soccer or touch footy.
          Originally posted by Bondi Boy

Pathetic!
          What a rabble we are.

Oh well, maybe next year

Comment

Are people actually complaining that the slap is banned? What a disgraceful look for a big bad rugby league player to slap an opponent. Great decision. If you are frustrated enough to want to slap an opponent, just punch him and cop a week suspension.

Comment

Didn't know slapping was that much of a problem. I only remember Klemmer slapping DCE.... Next they'll stop pulling hair😂 Meanwhile they do nothing about interfering with runners chasing a bomb. Finally I saw one pulled up last week in the Panthers Souths game. It's not that hard to see.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                Are people actually complaining that the slap is banned? What a disgraceful look for a big bad rugby league player to slap an opponent. Great decision. If you are frustrated enough to want to slap an opponent, just punch him and cop a week suspension.
                Not really....the slap was an awful look.
                But what is the player going to to let out the agression? Hopefully play hard footy but most footballers are not too bright.
                I agree just punch the grub and cop a week.
                Originally posted by Bondi Boy

Pathetic!
                What a rabble we are.

Oh well, maybe next year

Comment

Wow are people reading this and posting from their cave?

Comment

I think this is a smart move. Players only slap in order to provoke the recipient into throwing a punch in retaliation and getting sent to the bin. Players currently slap because they do so with impunity. This puts a stop to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Smith View Post
                      But isn't slapping feminine?

Good decision to outlaw that shit.
                      not when 200kg tui from auckland is doing it

Comment

The power brokers have forgotten who their customer is, trying to being something for everybody isn't a ****ing good marketing strategy you morons.

Slapping never used to be an issue because it was replied to with a fist. This ruling is embarrassing.

There's a reason why mixed martial arts is the second fastest growing sport in the world & the UFC just sold for 4.2 billion dollars, violence is universal and they are unapologetic about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                          The power brokers have forgotten who their customer is, trying to being something for everybody isn't a ****ing good marketing strategy you morons.

Slapping never used to be an issue because it was replied to with a fist. This ruling is embarrassing.

There's a reason why mixed martial arts is the second fastest growing sport in the world & the UFC just sold for 4.2 billion dollars, violence is universal and they are unapologetic about it.
                          Do you watch those sports? I don't know many people who religiously watch those sports either, people talk about it at work if Connor McGregor was fighting, but it is gone and forgotten in a couple of minutes, the appeal of violence in it doesn't make it any more exciting for me.

I never thought rugby league was watched because of it's so called violence, it was watched for its toughness, slapping is embarrassing. The punch should never have been outlawed, actually I don't think it is, it is just what punishment you are prepared to cop. If somebody deserves it, hit him.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

Do you watch those sports? I don't know many people who religiously watch those sports either, people talk about it at work if Connor McGregor was fighting, but it is gone and forgotten in a couple of minutes, the appeal of violence in it doesn't make it any more exciting for me.

I never thought rugby league was watched because of it's so called violence, it was watched for its toughness, slapping is embarrassing. The punch should never have been outlawed, actually I don't think it is, it is just what punishment you are prepared to cop. If somebody deserves it, hit him.
                            The UFC main events do come and go to the casual fan you're right but that's just the nature of the sport, they have 1 big main event every month. They know how to milk it though, $60 just to watch 3 hours of fighting if you don't mind. I'd liken it to SOO, the build up & hype is always huge, it's the elite players on the big stage & you don't have to follow a full season to understand what's going on.

Violence and fighting aren't the same thing, I'm not suggesting league is only popular because players were allowed to fight. The thrill of two forward packs going toe to toe with raw aggression and passion on display with the potential to boil over every now and then is what I think so many fans of the game love. It's what gets the neutral & casual fan excited too, in my opinion any way.

Put it this way you never hear the bloke who doesn't follow footy at work talk about how great a try or individual spark of brilliance from a player was but youcan bet your bottom dollar if there was a biff or a huge hit on the weekend they know all about it.

Comment

As a life long fan, and one who played as a young man, many things in league have changed over my life time.

One factor in these changes has been consistent, the game has increasingly become a business geared to selling a sport to the largest possible audience, via video.

The model the league has adopted is essentially the NFL model, probably due to the similarities in origin, and violence.

To appeal to as many people as possible, both codes react incredibly negatively to any public criticism.

I played in the front row as a kid, when scrums were a contest, and we stood 10m apart not 20m, with 2 subs for the game. A front rowers job required skill, practice, and a solid bond with your hooker. Sure we were enforcers too, it was rare not to throw a punch as a front rower in country footy, and the game was a brutal war of attrition. All that is gone because it didn't translate to todays sensitive left, as well as TV, and few understood the nuances.

And it's all our fault, by watching the game on TV and FOX we handed power to "them". Sorry to say it, but the "old" league we all love is long dead.
                              Last edited by Flipper Hands; 04-12-2017, 11:30 PM. Reason: Glad to see the slap go, wait for the pushing to go as well. Todays world only want to see the athletic spectacle.
                              Originally posted by jism
                              I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Working...
                              X