Wigan sounds out O'Meley, Mason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wigan sounds out O'Meley, Mason

Chook posted this at Melons site its a great read, I pinched it, thanks mate.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012431,00.html

Wigan sounds out O'Meley, Mason
    Brent Read | May 21, 2009
    Article from: The Australian

ENGLISH giant Wigan may be about to give Mark O'Meley an opportunity to sever ties with the Sydney Roosters.

Wigan owner Ian Lenegan, who is in Australian for 10 days on a scouting misson, confirmed he was on the look-out for a prop and O'Meley was on his radar.

Lenegan also raised the prospect of speaking to another Roosters star, Willie Mason, as well as St George Illawarra prop Justin Poore and Manly captain Matt Orford.

O'Meley joined the Roosters on a lucrative deal but he has been on the outer in recent weeks amid speculation of a fallout with coach Brad Fittler.

It is understood the Roosters would be happy to rid themselves of O'Meley to free money under the salary cap, and they may get their wish with talks believed

to be scheduled for later this

week between Lenegan and the former Test prop's manager, Wayne Beavis.

"Mark O'Meley is a player we admire," Lenegan said. "Whether he wants to come to the UK is another issue. I have never met the player."

Lenegan also suggested Mason was a player of interest, claiming the club was looking at him as a front-rower. Mason has endured a tumultuous season with the Roosters. Not only has he struggled for form, but the club has also had to sanction him twice for breaches of its disciplinary code.

"I would put Willie Mason as a prop," Lenegan said. "He has that stature and shape to be a prop. He's just one of the people we talk about."

While Lenegan plans on scouting Mason and O'Meley while in the country, his hands could be tied, given both players are under contract. That's not the case with Orford and Melbourne five-eighth Brett Finch, two other prospective targets.

"Matt Orford is a good scrum half," Lenegan said. "Matt was impressive when he played for the Sea Eagles in the World Club Challenge. I will be talking to any halfback who is at the top end of the scale and off contract.

"Matt Orford certainly fits that profile."

While Orford has made it clear he would prefer to remain at Manly, the premiers are hamstrung by the salary cap. As it stands, Orford would need to take a significant pay cut to remain with the club.

The Sea Eagles have several players off contract at the end of this season including internationals David Williams and Michael Robertson.

Next year things get even more difficult for the premiers as a host of players, including Jamie Lyon, Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough, come off contract.

Wigan isn't the only club circling Orford. Representatives of Hull are also believed to be in Australia and Orford has also been linked with that club.

In other news, St George Illawarra utility Beau Scott has agreed to remain with the club for a further three years.

"I married in the off-season, settled in the area and to have my contract finalised and to be able to continue on as normal is very pleasing," he said.

Dragons coach Wayne Bennett said: "I've been pleasantly surprised at how good a player Beau is. He brings a lot to the side and although his main attribute is his defence he is more than capable in all areas on the field."

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

I would let them both go if they wished. Gives us a great deal to work with regarding the Cap.

Not too sure who we bring in to the fold for next year but wonder how long the Dogs have Greg Eastwood signed for as he had visa issues getting over to the UK he is a very solid player. On the right side of 25 and can only get better!

Comment

i say let them go. They are being paid big bucks and not showing there worth.
      Havn't seen koupa play yet but we'll see how he goes, but yes eastwood would be a great addition to our team. Another kiwi in the team!!!!! What other 2nd rowers/ props are coming off contract soonish???

Comment

Let them go.
        It would clear up more than $600,000 a year wouldnt it????
        That could pick us up a new centre, and a rising junior second rower.
        Bring some youth to our club, im sick of has beens.

Look at the Dragons, they have an exremely young squad and are all playing so well, they have heart and a respectable coach.

I think youth would play much better under Freddy aswell.
        He has played or played against alot of the players in our side.
        We need some younger blokes that can look up to him.

Comment

Snake we are a very young squad. From the homesites 31 players:

Ahern, Jaubs, Maubs, Cherro, Hall, Friend, Jones, Kennedy, SKD, Masoe, Myles, FPN, JrJr, Pezz, Sa, Soli, Tansey, Tui, Waqa, Waqa, White, Williamson All 22 are under 24yrs old, still most are closer to 20yrs old.

That leaves:

Bwaiff, Fitzy, Willie, Shrek, Mini, Shack over 25yrs old. Brown, Koupa and Lopini are just 25yrs this season.

Its like the Juniors/developed players myth. MOST of our squad have ONLY played for Easts. But most people just ass-u-me we buy everyone.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Who is off contract that is a descent centre??? whats the latest on us signing david williams or inu???? we've also been linked with morris from the dragons. I say if we rid our selves of willie and ogre we will be in the perfect position to sign one of the three.

Comment

Definitely get rid of the chumps if you can. Not only will it free up some cap space to snag a few desperate ex-sharkies amongst whoever else is up for grabs, but it will also reinforce the traditional Roosters image:

Comment

If we get rid of those two we can free up loads of cash for some outside backs and a couple of young forwards.

I'm sure Uncle Nick is working behind the scenes to make this happen.
                Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

I just heard Anasta could be going to parramatta in 2010 with todd carney coming to roosters and other news Minichiello likely to sign a deal with roosters but will only get paid for the games he plays

Comment

Working...
                  X