Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we re-think our tactic of trying to spoil all grubbers by kicking at them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we re-think our tactic of trying to spoil all grubbers by kicking at them?

Watching the first try scored against us... IMO it was only scored because we have used the same old tactic of trying to prevent all grubbers by kicking at them. This resulted in a rushed stab at it, a favourable bounce for Canterbury and an easy try.

Question... should we reconsider this tactic? I feel like it was a good one when we first started out. However, teams now expect it and it's hazardous because:

- You're guaranteeing them 6 again if they get it

- It results in unpredictable bounces that can help enable tries as they're right on the line (50:50 it will favour either us or them so 50:50 it could help them to score a try)

- Our current defence isn't very good. Maybe it's not the best tactic for a struggling team as we can't hold teams out indefinitely like in 2013.

The Jizz - once again showing what a deep thinker he is.

Comment

I don't think its a real issue. We are doing what the opposition doesnt want us too. Generally they are looking for the in-goal area.

Comment

I think we should until we get our defence back to where it was a few years ago. We started doing that when we had the Bondi Wall and trusted our ability to shut teams out.

We are nowhere near that right now but put it on the shelf for now and revisit it next season.
        Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

With fullbacks playing in the defensive line more and more there arent too many teams letting the ball get past the defensive line these days..

Comment

You can't just get out of the way and let the ball run into the in goal...If you can get a foot to it it's 50/50 who gets it. That in itself is a better outcome than having the ball bouncing around in the in goal

Comment

I'd be happy if we could pressure the kicker anywhere on the field

Comment

No we should continue this practice
                We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

I am sure teams have done no statistical risk analysis at all, and just pulling the "trap and scrap" tactic out of their butts.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                    No we should continue this practice
                    you're looking good.

but yeah, i don't have a problem with it. maybe it wouldn't have made a difference but a couple of players could have been more desperate to go after the ball when it ricocheted

Comment

No other choice though unless you have the full back behind the D line to defend these in goal grubbers - No Guarantee even then that the Fullback would be able to get to the ball in time

Trap and Scrap is the only method as once it get's past the D-line it's more likely the opposition will score if it's a well weighted grubber - D line has to turn and chase

Comment

Working...
                      X