the winner of a game of footy should be the team that scores the most tries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the winner of a game of footy should be the team that scores the most tries

it always leaves a bad taste in the mouth when a team scores more tries but loses the game. i reckon that should change.

footy is about scoring and saving tries and the team that is best at that should win the game. goals and field goals are over-rewarded.

tradition? not entirely sure about the history but the importance of goals is probably due to the game's link to soccer. time for the game to evolve. field goals used to be worth 2 pts.

i reckon all tries should be worth 5 pts and all conversions, penalty goals and field goals should be worth one point. that would put the emphasis on what makes the game exciting but allow for goal kicking to decide games where both teams score the same amount of tries - and still allow for a break in play between tries so that running repairs can be done.

people say that penalty goals reward field position but if a team can't score a try then that's due to good defence and good defence should be rewarded.

I agree and Instead of golden point have a football penalty shoot out type system to decide results- extra time

The Defender stays on the try line under the uprights - The attacking player takes a tap on the 20

To obtain a point the attacking player has to score and to deny the point the Defender must stop the attacking player from scoring

Toss of the coin to see who goes first

The Team that wins the toss names their players - 5 or 7 in order - the Team going second names their 5 or 7 players in order

Like for like players- 3 backs and 2 forwards if 5 or 4 backs and 3 forwards if 7

The team that has obtained the most points in extra time wins the game - if teams are equal the game is a draw.

Last edited by King Salvo; 03-04-2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

you're an ideas man, ks

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post
        you're an ideas man, ks
        Yeh like Steve in the Castle Movie

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Yeh like Steve in the Castle Movie

tell em they're dreamin

Comment

Originally tries were worth zero. You were granted a 'try at goal' in line from where you crossed the line. I think 'golden try' would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
              Originally tries were worth zero. You were granted a 'try at goal' in line from where you crossed the line.
              interesting. didn't know that but it makes sense. why else would they be called tries.
              it adds to the argument that goal kicking has more to do with the earlier history of the game. the game has evolved from that

Comment

In this day and age the team who scores the least tries in a match rarely wins. Anyone care to go back and see if it has happened this season naming the games as well.
                We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

interesting. didn't know that but it makes sense. why else would they be called tries.
                  it adds to the argument that goal kicking has more to do with the earlier history of the game. the game has evolved from that
                  If a game ended in a tie, the tries at goal would be tallied to decide the winner. This is going back to the mid 1800s when soccer and rugby were still in their infancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                    In this day and age the team who scores the least tries in a match rarely wins. Anyone care to go back and see if it has happened this season naming the games as well.
                    i think there was a game 2 years ago where the Sharks scored more tries and lost- Johnson or Townsend couldn't convert anything. Away from that you're very right-its extremely rare to see a team score more tries than the opposition and lose

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post

i think there was a game 2 years ago where the Sharks scored more tries and lost- Johnson or Townsend couldn't convert anything. Away from that you're very right-its extremely rare to see a team score more tries than the opposition and lose
                      sharks lost to parra last year despite scoring more tries but sure, it doesn't happen a lot. but what does happen during a game is the score is often distorted by goal kicking and that has an effect on the tactics of a team for the remaining time. at one stage in our recent game v cowboys it was 18 all despite us scoring 4 tries to 3. the cowboys had a position on the scoreboard that they hadn't earned by their good play.

but i'm just throwing this idea out there and it's always possible that when you change things you can have unintended bad consequences. after further thought i think you'd have to allow penalty goals to be worth 2 pts if a professional foul was involved for example, otherwise the offending team gets an unfair advantage.

but you want to get the basics right and footy is about scoring tries not kicking goals

Comment

sharks lost to parra last year despite scoring more tries but sure, it doesn't happen a lot. but what does happen during a game is the score is often distorted by goal kicking and that has an effect on the tactics of a team for the remaining time. at one stage in our recent game v cowboys it was 18 all despite us scoring 4 tries to 3. the cowboys had a position on the scoreboard that they hadn't earned by their good play.

but i'm just throwing this idea out there and it's always possible that when you change things you can have unintended bad consequences. after further thought i think you'd have to allow penalty goals to be worth 2 pts if a professional foul was involved for example, otherwise the offending team gets an unfair advantage.

but you want to get the basics right and footy is about scoring tries not kicking goals
                        So in essence this so called brain storm of yours has occurred come due to our poor goal kicking this season.
                        We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                        Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

haha, our kicking situation has brought it home but i've thought it for a while. tbh, not convinced the game needs goalposts but that's a bridge too far

Comment

haha, our kicking situation has brought it home but i've thought it for a while. tbh, not convinced the game needs goalposts but that's a bridge too far
                            Im glad we have goal kicking. To watch a goal kicker line one up from the touch line to win a game is unreal especially if its our team. Hazem El Masri kicked some beauties for the Dogs o get them home in big matches. Its a great skill to have in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

Im glad we have goal kicking. To watch a goal kicker line one up from the touch line to win a game is unreal especially if its our team. Hazem El Masri kicked some beauties for the Dogs o get them home in big matches. Its a great skill to have in the game.
                              fair enough. still reckon 5 point tries and 1 point conversions are worth having a look at

Comment

Working...
                              X