Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else miss the Amco Cup (and the concept thereof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else miss the Amco Cup (and the concept thereof)

I realize the professional players are leaps ahead of the CRL etc and I know it would an absolute slaughter nowadays …but I miss the Amco Cup from Leichardt oval on a pissing down week night ….anybody else miss bothe game and the concept ?

The best thing about the Amco Cup when I was 12 or 13 was walking back through Callan Park Psych hospital with 2 or 3 mates & hearing & seeing all the lunies in the lunie bin. There were certain parts were the walkway through Callan Park looked down into the yards where the insane were. This was before the modern medications of today. It was an Asylum.
    We used to throw mandarins or oranges over the big walls to wind them up then the attendants would start coming out chasing us. Some of these people were in stray jackets or attached by a chain to hand rails that used to run along the inside walls.
    I know now that it was not good what I did when I was12 or 13 but for some reason we used to get an adrenalin rush from it.
    If ever you got some spare time you should go to the ol Callan Park hospital the buildings are unbelievable it takes you back in time. If your got a dog take them as well they will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
      The best thing about the Amco Cup when I was 12 or 13 was walking back through Callan Park Psych hospital with 2 or 3 mates & hearing & seeing all the lunies in the lunie bin. There were certain parts were the walkway through Callan Park looked down into the yards where the insane were. This was before the modern medications of today. It was an Asylum.
      We used to throw mandarins or oranges over the big walls to wind them up then the attendants would start coming out chasing us. Some of these people were in stray jackets or attached by a chain to hand rails that used to run along the inside walls.
      I know now that it was not good what I did when I was12 or 13 but for some reason we used to get an adrenalin rush from it.
      If ever you got some spare time you should go to the ol Callan Park hospital the buildings are unbelievable it takes you back in time. If your got a dog take them as well they will love it.
      my grand dad spent some time in callan park but it's all good cos he liked mandarines.

the best thing about the amco up was that we were so successful in it. bring back the mascara under the eyes

Comment

Ah yes the delayed telecast on Channel 10 at 8:30 pm and Finishing at 10:30 pm with Rabs and Keith Barnes calling - When the Chooks were playing i would listen to the 10 pm news on the radio as they would give the Full time score in the sport report

Too hard to have a mid week comp nowadays same as a pre-season cup- would have to shorten the NRL comp as teams wouldn't let their players play midweek as well as weekend games.

Pre-season would have to be 4 groups of 4 and the top of each group play a semi-final with the two winners playing the final- 5 week comp - An Amco cup style midweek comp would be 15 weeks under a knockout format if 1 game a week.

Used to park in the Callan Park car park when Chooks were playing Balmain at Leichhardt Oval - One night game they wouldn't let us park as a few of the inmates had escaped - No worries i said to the security bloke you will find then next door (Leichhardt Oval ) - how would I know them he says - I replied they would be ones in the crowd wearing the Balmain jumpers.
        Last edited by King Salvo; 07-25-2021, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zac View Post

my grand dad spent some time in callan park but it's all good cos he liked mandarines.

the best thing about the amco up was that we were so successful in it. bring back the mascara under the eyes
          lol. I was an arsehole at times when I was young, come to think of it Im an arsehole at times as an old bloke too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

lol. I was an arsehole at times when I was young, come to think of it Im an arsehole at times as an old bloke too.
            haha, but you're our arsehole

Comment

The 1977 Amco Cup final was heartbreaking, a one point loss to Wests after Fairfax sprayed what would have been the matching goal after scoring a fabulous try to give Easts a sniff of victory, the full game is available on you tube.

Comment

Was it the Amco cup were Fairfax got his leg broke ?…or was it Mark Harris ?

Comment

Originally posted by Recky62 View Post
                  Fairfax broke his leg in the final of the Amco Cup vs Parramatta I recall - Chooks won 17-7 or so - The late Great Mark Harris broke his leg in the 1st half of the preliminary final vs Manly - Both in 1975
                  Last edited by King Salvo; 03-14-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Cheers Salvo

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Fairfax broke his leg in the final of the Amco Cup vs Parramatta I recall - Chooks won 17-7 or so - The late Great Mark Harris broke his leg in the 1st half of the preliminary final vs Manly - Both in 1975
                      Your memory for detail is incredible Salvo, I always thought Fairfax was ahead of his time with his quick hands in the backline. He was never the same after that broken leg unfortunately.

Comment

Memory is a bit hazy but i thought Fairfax broke his leg in the semi final of the Amco Cup against Auckland in 1975 and not the final against Parramatta.. Fairfax's leg was broken when Mark Harris fell on him.

Comment

Yep it was in the semi against Auckland.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/110651315

Comment

Didn't he trip over Harris and that's how he broke his leg?

Comment

Hmm,I seem to remember he was going up to take a bomb …but it wasn’t yesterday, so maybe

Comment

Working...
                              X