X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Schedule to cost NRL

Schedule a big selling point for NRL
    November 19, 2009 - 7:50PM

The NRL says it's willing to take a pay hit on its new television rights agreement if it means they can have a fixed calendar of matches.

The NRL's current deal, valued at $500 million over six years, ends following the 2012 campaign.

But under the terms of that deal, the NRL has a rolling schedule which allows broadcasters - the Nine Network and Fox Sports - to pick and choose which matches they want to televise depending on a team's form and appeal.

So if it guaranteed the year's fixtures were locked in before the season started, NRL chief executive David Gallop says the game would accept less money for its next deal.

Gallop says the system should be changed to allow fans and clubs to know exactly where and when they are playing - even though he said it could cost the code up to $50 million on the negotiating table.

"A fixed schedule for us, the advantages for our fans and clubs will hopefully outweigh that equation," he said.

"The whole issue of how we allocate games on that rolling schedule ... is a very complicated exercise.

"We will definitely be going to them and say that's what we want and if they were to come back hypothetically and say `okay, that's $50 million less' then we've got a commercial decision to make.

"I doubt they'll do that. I do think they'll come back and offer us less but I don't think it'll be enough to make us change our mind.

"I think that certainty has become a real imperative for the game."

Gallop, speaking at the NRL's second annual club members forum, also expressed his frustration with the sport's broadcasters, saying they had been guilty of breaking their contractual obligations at times, particularly with televising matches in Melbourne.

"We do agitate about it, on a week-to-week basis because, to be frank, from time-to-time they don't even comply with their contractual obligations," he said.

"You can't fine them, but I'd like to. I think we all share that frustration."

NRL marketing and commercial director Paul Kind said the new TV deal could also include a Sunday afternoon "twilight" fixture as that concept gained popularity with fans and broadcasters.

"When this deal was negotiated Friday night was the big night ... two Friday night matches looked like it was going to be a great outcome for us from an attendance point of view," Kind said.

"And now that Sunday afternoon idea seems to have warmed right up in the past 12 months."
    Gallop is a weak aresed prick

he has now come out and given the media an open slate to reduce thier Media rights offer if the NRL want a fixed Game schedule when the rights are negotiated in 2010.

he has pretty much given foxsports and 9 the chance to knock $50 mil off the next negotiations.

He should be pushing for a fixed schedule WITHOUT detriment in cost to the NRL.

Gallop, your time is up.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
    To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
    At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
    Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
    The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

That is ordinary
    The Internet is a place for posting silly things
    Try and be serious and you will look stupid
    sigpic

Comment

Poor leadership. Having this guy in charge of negotiations will cost the game millions....but also save his employer millions - massive conflict of interests

Comment

News Ltd's final payday, ofcourse he had his strings pulled to talk our game down.

Comment

Hopefully this independant commission comes though and clears news out of the picture all together.

Gallop has basically said he is willing to wipe off $50mill off the bat from the next negotiations. talk about trying to crush the support for a fixed schedule.

If i was a board member and my CEO basically cut $50mill of contract, he would be on his arse quicker than you can say Fixed NRL schedule !

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
          To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
          At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
          Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
          The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

He is obviously setting it up for his bosses at Fox.
            At the same time locking out 7 and 10.

There seems to be problems for Searl in getting the commission of the ground due to the Queensland League being beligerent and not wanting to hand over funds and control, I wonder if it has anything to do with SOO and the control Q'ld weild in that arena.

Giddyup!

Comment

I am probably in the minority but I think the money they pay is too much.
              This is shown by the number of ads Ch9 has to put through and the increases in Foxtel prices.
              There is probably less than 10million RL fans in this country and to pay that much money just doesn't sense.

Saying that if people are going to continue to pay these amounts then how can you justify talking the product down. The control should be with the NRL and they should have a say regarding the quality of the commentary as well
              sigpic

Comment

Whilst it's debatable whether Gallop should be admitting it or not, there's no doubt that the networks will pay less for a schedule that's controlled by the NRL rather than controlled by the networks, as it is currently.

A fixed schedule doens't allow the networks the flexibility the current deal does so of course they will pay less to compensate for that loss of power.

And the sooner a fixed schedule comes to fruition the better. That way all supporters can definitively plan the games they want to attend a season ahead, down to the exact date and time. Which is especially important when planning interstate/intrastate trips away, you'll know whether you need to take the Friday/Monday off etc.

In other words, league will finally be on par with all other major sporting codes.

It will be of benefit to the players as well.

NC
                Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                  I am probably in the minority but I think the money they pay is too much.
                  This is shown by the number of ads Ch9 has to put through and the increases in Foxtel prices.
                  There is probably less than 10million RL fans in this country and to pay that much money just doesn't sense.

Saying that if people are going to continue to pay these amounts then how can you justify talking the product down. The control should be with the NRL and they should have a say regarding the quality of the commentary as well
                  and about 10 million AFL fans and they get a far higher price than the NRL despite the NRL being a bigger game in the majority of the Australian advertising market.

Comment

You know I hear that every now and then, but I also hear the opposite.
                    Considering RL is the main sport in 2 states as opposed to AFL which is the main sport in the other 5, I do find that hard to believe.
                    I would also not hestitate in saying that AFL is bigger in the 2 RL states than RL is in the 5 AFL states.

The arguement of RL being the bigger or more popular sport (and the better sport in my opinion) is only ever supported by well rating single events not by the over all market.
                    sigpic

Comment

All arguments about NRL/ARL popularity aside, Gallop violating the basic rules of "Negotiation 101" astounds me. The only conclusion to be drawn here is one that has already been drawn by other posters in this thread such as elo and Kramer.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That is very true
                        sigpic

Comment

You know I hear that every now and then, but I also hear the opposite.
                          Considering RL is the main sport in 2 states as opposed to AFL which is the main sport in the other 5, I do find that hard to believe.
                          I would also not hestitate in saying that AFL is bigger in the 2 RL states than RL is in the 5 AFL states.

The arguement of RL being the bigger or more popular sport (and the better sport in my opinion) is only ever supported by well rating single events not by the over all market.
                          And i would not hesitate in dismissing your claims either. On a week to week basis in Sydney and Brisbane, NRL clearly outrates the AFL - and that is an undisputable fact..

No way is the AFL bigger in NSW and QLD, and that won't change any time soon

Comment

I would expect it to outrate it in NSW and QLD.
                            For me it would be more interesting talking about nationwide ratings
                            sigpic

Comment

I would expect it to outrate it in NSW and QLD.
                              For me it would be more interesting talking about nationwide ratings
                              it is very difficult to compare nationwide

AFL in the 5 main capitals usually(not always) outrates the NRL.. however, this fails to acknowledge the existence of regional areas - where the NRL is clearly dominant

When regionals are added on, the NRL is the undisputed winner.. although AFL types usually chuck up the argument that regionals are irrelevant... to advertising dollars and that there is overcounting [which would deviate to another story..]

the main reason why the AFL gets more in television revenue is that their games take longer to finish ie. they have more television breaks, after countless goals and 4 quarters; further adding to $$$

Comment

Working...
                              X