Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRL boss Smith wants the power to break cap

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...1226831979835#

NRL CEO Dave Smith may be given power to to hand-pick players to pay out of the central body's cash reserves. Source: Getty Images

THE NRL is considering a proposal which would give chief executive Dave Smith sole discretion to pay players outside the salary cap and potentially decide where they play.
    The Australian understands the proposal was discussed last week at a meeting of chief executives in Auckland, where clubs were taken through plans to overhaul the salary cap from next season.

Towards the end of that briefing, Andrew Fraser - a consultant who has been brought in by the NRL to lead the review of the cap - outlined a plan that would result in Smith being able to hand-pick players to be paid from the central body’s cash reserves.

#####

NO!

We got rid of 'el supremos', in the revolution.
    Now there are supposed to be boards and committees making salary cap and third party contract decisions, not one person solely.

Would the teachers pets get all the money?

The players they are talking about would be marquee players and would have a preference for which club they played. And Dave Smith knows and understands that. He is a very shrewd operator.

Any player who wasn't happy with a club Smith was thinking of simply wouldn't sign the contract.

If anyone has to make a call on this type of issue I would rather it be Dave Smith than Todd Greenburg!! At least Smith has a chance of being impartial.

NC
    Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by novice chook View Post
      The players they are talking about would be marquee players and would have a preference for which club they played. And Dave Smith knows and understands that. He is a very shrewd operator.

Any player who wasn't happy with a club Smith was thinking of simply wouldn't sign the contract.

If anyone has to make a call on this type of issue I would rather it be Dave Smith than Todd Greenburg!! At least Smith has a chance of being impartial.

NC
      I am sure the players would not be to fussed where they play If the money is too good to refuse This will cause outrage if ever done Nobody will jknow the exact details and this is ripe for the picking in regards to manipulation of the competition
      We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
      Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

And you reckon some of the dodgy third party deals now being done by the clubs aren't manipulation of the competition? Some of

those media deals when players get paid big money for doing fark all are farcical.

Secret deals have been part of the game since the Fittler and Johns days, if not before.

The comp is already being manipulated to some extent, and has been for years. And the Roosters have been one of the kings of it.

And the NRL have simply turned a blind eye to it, or in some cases been actively involved.

NC
        Last edited by novice chook; 02-20-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

All you have done is try to twist this away from the massive ramifications and perils that this proposal has

If you are happy with one NRL official being able to decide which marquee plays for who and effectively who will be the team to beat then good for you

This is open to exploitation by the NRL on a massive level and does not sit well or comfortably with me in any way shape or form
          We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
          Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

If this ever came to fruition I am sure there would be processes in place to ensure that it did not advantage some clubs over others.

And unlike others before him, Dave Smith is not a league 'old boy' with prejudices and loyalties to certain clubs and/or individuals. I suspect if the player didn't have a particular club that he is determined to play for he is more likely to be drafted into a a club that struggles to attract the marquee players - eg Canberra.

Under the old hierarchy there is no way I would support such an idea, but I believe in rare circumstances (as this would be) there should be the opportunity for the NRL to fund the purchase of a player for a club, for the right reasons.

My only disclaimer is that Greenburg should have nothing to do with the process. The bloke may be a smooth operator, but I have my doubts if he is a good and honest one. Just my personal opinion.

NC

NC

Comment

Working...
            X