Alan Jones/Free Speech/Political Comment/Sponsors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Jones/Free Speech/Political Comment/Sponsors

One wrong word[or action] today, and you're finished.
    It's basically "bye bye, have a nice life in your future endeavours". Probably a good idea for unemployment benefit to stay at $1,100 FN.

There's "legal" free speech/actions, then there's "all roads lead to lawyers" free speech/actions, "The sponsors are not happy" free speech/actions, "Broadcasting tribunals" free speech/actions, etc.

As Alan Jones allegedly found out.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...1ba44b84e15ccc

Alan Jones and Nine insist “health reasons” sparked his radio retirement but the truth is advertisers walked away after Jones’s spray at New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Adern. Annette Sharp has the inside story.

The odds of broadcaster Alan Jones walking away from his illustrious radio career halfway into his $8 million two-year contract a month ago were long. Very long.“I’d have put him at about 1000 to one. There was just no way he was going to leave of his own volition. There was a greater chance of him being bitten by a horse at Royal Ascot than retiring from 2GB,” one sage media veteran said last week after news of Jones’ radio retirement broke and became the biggest news story of the day in the state.

But those odds shortened considerably two weeks ago when Nine Radio boss Tom Malone paid Jones a visit at his Fitzroy Falls property.

Nine’s official position – which mirrors Jones’s – is that Jones called the meeting and invited Malone to a lunch along with Jones’ agent Nick Fordham.
    “It was Alan who invited me down to his farm for lunch,” Malone said yesterday.

“We were able to facilitate Alan’s request to stand down due to health reasons.”

But sources within Nine Entertainment, owner of Nine Radio and stations 2GB and 4BC, are adamant it was Nine that called the meeting.
    Time was up.

Eight months after former Macquarie Media boss Russell Tate wrote to 2GB advertisers to apologise and promise a review of Jones’s program after the broadcaster offended women and women’s advocacy groups by suggesting Prime Minister Scott Morrison “shove a sock down” the throat of his New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern, new Macquarie owner Nine was cutting its losses.

An advertiser boycott that saw more than 100 advertisers including Coles, Big W, Commonwealth Bank, McDonald’s and Bunnings pull their ads from the radio station – costing 2GB $80,000 a day in ad revenue – had crippled the station.

The cost to Nine of Jones’s Ardern comment is, ad executives say, $20 million; about half of 2GB’s annual ad revenue.

#####

Well there you go.
    "Put a sock in it" is a common expression.
    Wonder what would've happened if he'd suggested that "Prime Minister Scott Morrison tell Jacinda Ardern to "put a sock in it", instead of what he actually said?

In the movie "Coming To America", that sees the "Prince of 'Zamunda'" [Eddie Murphy] travel to America to find a wife...and after much ado, fall in love ...his parents the King and Queen of "Zamunda" who travelled to America to get him to come home, were sitting in a limo...with the King [James Earl Jones] ranting that his son must marry someone from "Zamunda" who they select for him, as is tradition.
    The King's formerly obedient wife then says to him:

"Put a sock in it, Jaffe...the boy's in love"!
    Last edited by bondi.boy; 05-17-2020, 09:44 AM.

you'd figure they would have known what they were getting when they signed up as sponsors. still, it was always a business arrangement and you don't fork out 8m without wanting some input.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc7RrfGvvkY

Comment

He's credited by many with, in no small part, helping the LNP to win the last election against all the odds.
        ..by informing his audience, who seemingly make up a large part of the LNP's voter base, what Labor's policies really meant...and the cost involved.

Anyway, he'll be gone by the beginning of June, when Benny takes over.
        Benny needs to copy Alan's style 90%, and understand exactly who his audience is, or he won't last long.
        Best he leaves the "wife and kids" at 'home', breakfast shift is not drive shift.
        Hard-hitting politics it surely is, ...incompetent politicians selling off the country, drought...farmers suiciding, watering Australia, the pandemic, Qld Labor drowning in $80billion debt yet still borrowing more money to buy Virgin, energy prices, climate change ["[man-made] Climate Change is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind"-Alan Jones.], bushfire victims still destitute-homeless "where did all the money go? Red Cross raised $216m and has only spent $60m", etc.
        Last edited by bondi.boy; 05-17-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
          He's credited by many with, in no small part, helping the LNP to win the last election against all the odds.
          ..by informing his audience, who seemingly make up a large part of the LNP's voter base, what Labor's policies really meant...and the cost involved.

Anyway, he'll be gone by the beginning of June, when Benny takes over.
          Benny needs to copy Alan's style 90%, and understand exactly who his audience is, or he won't last long.
          Best he leaves the "wife and kids" at 'home', breakfast shift is not drive shift.
          Hard-hitting politics it surely is, ...incompetent politicians selling off the country, drought...farmers suiciding, watering Australia, the pandemic, Qld Labor drowning in $80billion debt yet still borrowing more money to buy Virgin, energy prices, climate change ["[man-made] Climate Change is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind"-Alan Jones.], bushfire victims still destitute-homeless "where did all the money go? Red Cross raised $216m and has only spent $60m", etc.

Yes he has said all those things....but what makes you think he is right about them all?

He will retire in a year when he infamously said on air about the Corona virus.....

“We now seem to be facing the health version of global warming, exaggeration in almost everything.”

This rant from him was not a one-off, but part of a consistent theme he has sounded for days that the whole coronavirus thing is overblown......all while broadcasting in personal safety from the splendid isolation of his place at Fitzroy Falls. Nice

Then there was the Norco milk fiasco.....when they advertised on his show he said “Next time you’re at the supermarket, have a think about where you want your money to go. It should be staying here in Australia. It should be going straight to the hard-working dairy farmer. This is one thing we can do, we buy Norco milk.”

The day after Norco stopped advertising on his show....“I am just concerned from letters I am getting that the increased price that Norco … are charging for one and two and three litre milk, whether that increase is all going back to the farmer at the farm gate, which it was argued was happening … I’m not certain that’s the case.

However he did have pull....his top radio ratings over decades showed that. He also got Australia's biggest twit Tony Abbott to become PM.....although he wasnt able to help him see out a full term, but to be fair not even Jesus Christ could have helped with that

Comment

Originally posted by Random Rooster View Post

Yes he has said all those things....but what makes you think he is right about them all?

He will retire in a year when he infamously said on air about the Corona virus.....

“We now seem to be facing the health version of global warming, exaggeration in almost everything.”

This rant from him was not a one-off, but part of a consistent theme he has sounded for days that the whole coronavirus thing is overblown......all while broadcasting in personal safety from the splendid isolation of his place at Fitzroy Falls. Nice

Then there was the Norco milk fiasco.....when they advertised on his show he said “Next time you’re at the supermarket, have a think about where you want your money to go. It should be staying here in Australia. It should be going straight to the hard-working dairy farmer. This is one thing we can do, we buy Norco milk.”

The day after Norco stopped advertising on his show....“I am just concerned from letters I am getting that the increased price that Norco … are charging for one and two and three litre milk, whether that increase is all going back to the farmer at the farm gate, which it was argued was happening … I’m not certain that’s the case.

However he did have pull....his top radio ratings over decades showed that. He also got Australia's biggest twit Tony Abbott to become PM.....although he wasnt able to help him see out a full term, but to be fair not even Jesus Christ could have helped with that

IMO he was wrong on Coronavirus, some on this forum said the same things. Is there right and wrong? people have differing opinions.
            It is still a popular idea with many in society...especially in Sweden.
            When he was pushing some Swedish guy's 'herd immunity' idea recently I had to switch him off...and over to Kyle and Jackie O I went.
            I have to investigate yet what exactly the go is with Norco...I was buying it for a while. I don't mind paying extra, but I want to know exactly what I'm doing, who owns what, where the money is going.
            I stopped buying a juice brand once 'China' bought it. Racist?...nah.
            Climate change? He's about 70% correct.

Tony Abbott deserves his own thread, but I've started too many already.

Tony Abbott...Australia has a lot to thank him for. Owes him a great debt.
            He put an end to the reign of Rudd/Gillard/Rudd. Took many seats off Labor, and rightly so.
            He put an end to the people-smuggling trade, towed back the boats. No more 50,000 asylum-seekers on 800 boats arriving, boats all gone, never to be seen again.
            He took on radical Islam, spoke out about certain things regarding multiculturalism.
            The "everyone in the world is a lovely person" brigades of PC, tolerance, open borders etc shunned him at world conferences. Typical.
            Obama embraced his ideas after he left office.

His own Party here knifed him in the back...the very thing they criticised Labor for doing with Rudd and Gillard.
            The Party lost a lot of friends for doing it. Some have never returned.
            Last edited by bondi.boy; 05-17-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Nine are jettisoning whatever they can to stay afloat. Plus AJs agent is his replacements brother. Lol

Nah, he’s a good guy Alan despite what they say
              Sydney?radio station?2GB’s Alan Jones sent love letters to schoolboys, had?boys in his room late at night and perved on them in the shower?when he was a teacher at The King’s School in …
              ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

IMO he was wrong on Coronavirus, some on this forum said the same things. Is there right and wrong? people have differing opinions.
                It is still a popular idea with many in society...especially in Sweden.
                When he was pushing some Swedish guy's 'herd immunity' idea recently I had to switch him off...and over to Kyle and Jackie O I went.
                I have to investigate yet what exactly the go is with Norco...I was buying it for a while. I don't mind paying extra, but I want to know exactly what I'm doing, who owns what, where the money is going.
                I stopped buying a juice brand once 'China' bought it. Racist?...nah.
                Climate change? He's about 70% correct.

Tony Abbott deserves his own thread, but I've started too many already.

Tony Abbott...Australia has a lot to thank him for. Owes him a great debt.
                He put an end to the reign of Rudd/Gillard/Rudd. Took many seats off Labor, and rightly so.
                He put an end to the people-smuggling trade, towed back the boats. No more 50,000 asylum-seekers on 800 boats arriving, boats all gone, never to be seen again.
                He took on radical Islam, spoke out about certain things regarding multiculturalism.
                The "everyone in the world is a lovely person" brigades of PC, tolerance, open borders etc shunned him at world conferences. Typical.
                Obama embraced his ideas after he left office.

His own Party here knifed him in the back...the very thing they criticised Labor for doing with Rudd and Gillard.
                The Party lost a lot of friends for doing it. Some have never returned.
                Obama embraced his ideas? It was well known that Tony Abbott was close to Obama's least favourite head of state. Ironically Obama ranked Malcolm Turnbull his favourite behind the Pope & Angela Merkel.

Laurie Oakes said after the election that Turnbull scrapped in " i have no doubt that if the Coalition went to this election with Abbott in charge we would now be talking about Prime Minister Bill Shorten". Plenty agree but we will never know

However the most accurate statement made about Tony Abbott goes to Paul Keating who labelled him an "intellectual nobody" and a "poor man's Howard" with no policy ambition. 100% spot on.

They called him "One Term Tony" but they were wrong.... unfortunately for Labor he didn't make that 1 term

Comment

Without the support of Alan Jones, Schapelle could've been execution-slaughtered in the outdoor death chamber.
                  He gave bb-ilk a voice, among other things.

Comment

Without the support of Alan Jones, Schapelle could've been execution-slaughtered in the outdoor death chamber.
                    He gave bb-ilk a voice, among other things.
                    Really? How did he achieve that?

Comment

Really? How did he achieve that?
                      https://pmtranscripts.pmc.gov.au/rel...anscript-21749

Comment

Cmon BB! Theres nothing in that to claim Jones made any difference to the outcome of Corbys trial.

He suggested to Howard that he ask Indonesia for a pardon and Howard was non committal in his response- just reaffirming that she deserved a fair trial. He didn't want to get involved in another countries legal system.

As it turns out Howard did stay out of it.....and most agreed with him

​​​​​​“The trial and sentencing of Schapelle Corby has received a great deal of media coverage. The media would have everyone believe that an overwhelming majority of Australians think Schapelle Corby is innocent, however this latest Morgan Poll shows only a slight majority (51%) of Australians believe Schapelle Corby is innocent while 21% believe she is guilty. There are 28% of Australians undecided on whether she is guilty of not.

“Prime Minister John Howard has been criticised for not becoming involved in the trial of Schapelle Corby. This latest Morgan Poll shows more Australians (37%) agree with Mr Howard’s decision not to become involved than those who think he should ask the President of Indonesia to pardon Schapelle Corby now (21%). A further 37% of Australians believe Mr Howard should wait until after Schapelle Corby’s appeal.”

Comment

Cmon BB! Theres nothing in that to claim Jones made any difference to the outcome of Corbys trial.

He suggested to Howard that he ask Indonesia for a pardon and Howard was non committal in his response- just reaffirming that she deserved a fair trial. He didn't want to get involved in another countries legal system.

As it turns out Howard did stay out of it.....and most agreed with him

​​​​​​“The trial and sentencing of Schapelle Corby has received a great deal of media coverage. The media would have everyone believe that an overwhelming majority of Australians think Schapelle Corby is innocent, however this latest Morgan Poll shows only a slight majority (51%) of Australians believe Schapelle Corby is innocent while 21% believe she is guilty. There are 28% of Australians undecided on whether she is guilty of not.

“Prime Minister John Howard has been criticised for not becoming involved in the trial of Schapelle Corby. This latest Morgan Poll shows more Australians (37%) agree with Mr Howard’s decision not to become involved than those who think he should ask the President of Indonesia to pardon Schapelle Corby now (21%). A further 37% of Australians believe Mr Howard should wait until after Schapelle Corby’s appeal.”
                          Whilever the death penalty was on the table, Mt Jones, a Corby supporter, and others were not happy. Outraged you might say.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2005/06/corb-j09.html

Similar comments appeared in the Australian newspaper and other Murdoch publications. Right-wing demagogue Andrew Bolt, writing for the Herald Sun, branded Corby supporters as “the beast of mob rule”.

Naturally enough, these denunciations simply added fuel to the fire. Having been whipped up by right-wing populists, Corby supporters began sending letters to the press, demanding a tourist boycott of Indonesia, the return of tsunami aid sent by Australians to Indonesian victims, and similar reactionary demands.

When concerned comments appeared in the Indonesian press, including from the influential Jakarta Post, the political alarm bells began ringing in Howard’s office.

#####

Website was started dontshootschapelle.com

Social media everywhere.

eg;

"This will be Schapelle's fate if they rule "death":
                          Refer movie Bangkok Hilton"

YouTube video today shows all. "Bangkok Hilton The Execution" posted

"We must not let this happen to her, a flower of Aussie womanhood.
                          A lifeguard,. saving lives, now they could take her life away.
                          She wears the Christian Cross around her neck".

Eventually the death penalty was taken off the table.
                          I believe Mr Jones played a big part in that happening. [even if indirectly]

Indonesian President SBY was a good friend of Australia.
                          Pity he couldn't have ruled forever.

Last edited by bondi.boy; 05-18-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Mate thats the definition of drawing a long bow. The Australian media called for her to be found not guilty-instead she got 20 years- and now you say they took the death penalty off the table because of Alan Jones and the right wing media? Please!!

Michelle Leslie got off....helps to have a wealthy father when you're dealing with a country that loves a bribe. I wouldn't go anywhere near Bali if you paid me

Comment

Now today Mr Jones is being blamed by some for starting the Cronulla riots.
                              No, they were a culmination of many things since the year 2000...the final straw being the breaking of the eye socket of a teen lifeguard at the beach.
                              Radio callers lining up to tell all about what was/had been happening to them at the beach.
                              Mr Jones stood up for them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X