Greek Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Holiday

Looking for some tips from anybody that's been there in the last couple of years or so...accommodation recommendations on the islands around the Cyclades ( Santorini, Mykonos area etc etc )

I have accommodation with family on the mainland and on the Island of Naxos where I'll have a place and a car and looking to hop over to Santorini, maybe Mykonos, Paros and any of the other ones nearby to Naxos that are worth visiting...I don't know if it's necessary to go to heaps of Islands as it may be similar so probably looking at visiting a handful...Santorini is a must...

There for 6 weeks starting 1st of July till mid August...

Tips please...

Originally posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
    Looking for some tips from anybody that's been there in the last couple of years or so...accommodation recommendations on the islands around the Cyclades ( Santorini, Mykonos area etc etc )

I have accommodation with family on the mainland and on the Island of Naxos where I'll have a place and a car and looking to hop over to Santorini, maybe Mykonos, Paros and any of the other ones nearby to Naxos that are worth visiting...I don't know if it's necessary to go to heaps of Islands as it may be similar so probably looking at visiting a handful...Santorini is a must...

There for 6 weeks starting 1st of July till mid August...

Tips please...

In mykonos try

Namos beach ...a bit pricey, but worth the expierence for a iced coffee or a cold cocktail on beach lounges (right on the beach)

When eating go to the main town and visit a place called "Sea-Satin". Brilliant

if you want a high end place - Vivo Con carne ( i may have spelt it wrong) breath -taking . Make sure you book at both

There is also a tarevna in Paranomos - which has no electricity ( wood fired, and charcoal everything ) and is only open for Lunch...extremely popular . Its called Kiki's.ts in the middle of no-one . Well worth it

Comment

Damn you.

Comment

Last time i was there was 2000 so can't give you any up to date info Foggy.You will love Santorini though.I thought Mykonos was starting to get more commercial last time i was there and losing its charm but it is a bit of a party island so if you are going there for that i think it should still be fine.

Comment

i now my way around the close in islands, but damn im jealous now!

Comment

I would go back to Santorini in a heart beat,beautiful place.
            I am planning to go to the UK in 2011 so there will probably be a few trips out of the UK to parts of Europe while i'm there,apart from Amsterdam the Greek Islands will be definate.Might try and get a charter flight straight from the UK to Santorini and skip going to Athens all together,Athens was a filthy dirty place when i was there last,apparently they cleaned it up a lot for the Olympics but it is somewhere i don't care to go back to again.Besides Santorini i would like to try a few of the smaller islands on my next trip there.

Comment

the close islanda a ferry ride out of praeus arnt too bad, hydra of course a bit too commercial, spetse is my pick, agina not too bad either. great if you havent got the time to go to the biggies?

Comment

Originally posted by RIP NRL View Post
                In mykonos try

Namos beach ...a bit pricey, but worth the expierence for a iced coffee or a cold cocktail on beach lounges (right on the beach)

When eating go to the main town and visit a place called "Sea-Satin". Brilliant

if you want a high end place - Vivo Con carne ( i may have spelt it wrong) breath -taking . Make sure you book at both

There is also a tarevna in Paranomos - which has no electricity ( wood fired, and charcoal everything ) and is only open for Lunch...extremely popular . Its called Kiki's.ts in the middle of no-one . Well worth it

Thanks for that info...the cocktails on the beach lounges is right up my alley...I don't mind pricey for a few days as the rest of the accommodation is free for me...

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                  the close islanda a ferry ride out of praeus arnt too bad, hydra of course a bit too commercial, spetse is my pick, agina not too bad either. great if you havent got the time to go to the biggies?
                  Planning to stay 4 weeks on the island part of the trip so I've got time to get around to the biggie's...I've got a place in Naxos so I'm smack bang in the middle of the cyclades...I might take a scoot down to Crete or Rhodes as well depending on time...Santorini is a definite...Mykonos I've got to check out...Paros I've been told is worth a short stay as well...but if they're all similar I'll probably spend the bulk of the time at Naxos seeing as I have free accommodation right near the beach...I can spend the money on food and cocktails...

Comment

Originally posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
                    Planning to stay 4 weeks on the island part of the trip so I've got time to get around to the biggie's...I've got a place in Naxos so I'm smack bang in the middle of the cyclades...I might take a scoot down to Crete or Rhodes as well depending on time...Santorini is a definite...Mykonos I've got to check out...Paros I've been told is worth a short stay as well...but if they're all similar I'll probably spend the bulk of the time at Naxos seeing as I have free accommodation right near the beach...I can spend the money on food and cocktails...
                    Fog,

Its been a decade since I was there. Crete is massive, but if you hire a car and drive right through teh heart from Hania to Agios Nectarios you'll see some amazing country side.

Rhodes was good. There are nice places just outside the walls of the old city and the main beach is full of topless Dutch and scandinavian lasses asking you for the time...all the time. All you need is the place.Throw the wife on teh back of a Vespa and head 20 ks or so out of town to a Beach called Petasos. Sand unlike the rest of Greece - white not black volcanic shit. Water absolutely beautiful. I thought i was in the Bahamas. Castle on the hill above the beach. Cafeteria on the beach makes bomb Martinis and good food too.

Sontorini is awesome. Beautiful, kills Rome, Paris and Venice for Romantic locations, catch the best sunset in the world at Ia. Perivolas villas. English lass runs this 4 star resort on the edge of teh cliffs there. It cost me 340 bucks ozzie a night 10 years ago. But its teh best place in town.
                    The pool actually flows over the edge. The white washed old stable caves carved out of the rock face converted beautifully into saucy suites. take one of the scandinavian chicks you exchanged for teh missus in Rhodes with you.

Mikonos. The Oxford Street of the Greek islands. Paradise Beach - loads of Italian board short wearing lads playing cards whilst their topless model girlfriends strutt up and down the beach looking for photo opportunities with the tourists. Then there's Super Paradise. Where you can sit on banana lounges under thatched umbrellas watching naked old men walking into the water hand in hand with young homos. Not that there's anything wrong with that. At night the bars go off. teh little cobble stoned maze of alleys open a door to fantastic locally made jewelry, art, pottery, and trinkets. Right smack in teh middle is a restaurant run by a mate of mine. Go there and ask for Fat Nick. O Nickos o hondros. You probably already know. Dont get ripped off. I dont know how good your Greek is but if good enough only speak that at the restaurants and ask for the local's menu, not the tourist one. you'll save hundreds.

Crete, Rhodes, Santorini and Mykonos. That was my Itinerary mate. and Ill be back next year.
                    Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                      Fog,

Its been a decade since I was there. Crete is massive, but if you hire a car and drive right through teh heart from Hania to Agios Nectarios you'll see some amazing country side.

Rhodes was good. There are nice places just outside the walls of the old city and the main beach is full of topless Dutch and scandinavian lasses asking you for the time...all the time. All you need is the place.Throw the wife on teh back of a Vespa and head 20 ks or so out of town to a Beach called Petasos. Sand unlike the rest of Greece - white not black volcanic shit. Water absolutely beautiful. I thought i was in the Bahamas. Castle on the hill above the beach. Cafeteria on the beach makes bomb Martinis and good food too.

Sontorini is awesome. Beautiful, kills Rome, Paris and Venice for Romantic locations, catch the best sunset in the world at Ia. Perivolas villas. English lass runs this 4 star resort on the edge of teh cliffs there. It cost me 340 bucks ozzie a night 10 years ago. But its teh best place in town.
                      The pool actually flows over the edge. The white washed old stable caves carved out of the rock face converted beautifully into saucy suites. take one of the scandinavian chicks you exchanged for teh missus in Rhodes with you.

Mikonos. The Oxford Street of the Greek islands. Paradise Beach - loads of Italian board short wearing lads playing cards whilst their topless model girlfriends strutt up and down the beach looking for photo opportunities with the tourists. Then there's Super Paradise. Where you can sit on banana lounges under thatched umbrellas watching naked old men walking into the water hand in hand with young homos. Not that there's anything wrong with that. At night the bars go off. teh little cobble stoned maze of alleys open a door to fantastic locally made jewelry, art, pottery, and trinkets. Right smack in teh middle is a restaurant run by a mate of mine. Go there and ask for Fat Nick. O Nickos o hondros. You probably already know. Dont get ripped off. I dont know how good your Greek is but if good enough only speak that at the restaurants and ask for the local's menu, not the tourist one. you'll save hundreds.

Crete, Rhodes, Santorini and Mykonos. That was my Itinerary mate. and Ill be back next year.
                      Cheers Melon...I'll certainly pay hodrouli a visit...

Comment

1 week to go.................woo hoo.....

Comment

lucky bugga foghorn, i miss going to greece so much, but ive only ewver stayed on the close in islands, spetsies, aginas and the picure postcard one hydra?

Comment

Have a fab time Foggy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
                              Have a fab time Foggy!
                              I intend too...almost didn't make it due to my daughter having to have an operation due to a nasty cyst that has developed above her back teeth and behind her cheekbone...her wisdom tooth has been pushed up and just below her eye socket...she lost it at the Surgeon we had to see on Monday and he basically said he can wait and the dreaded operation will have to be done after that...so we plan to have a great holiday and enjoy ourselves before coming back and dealing with it...it will take everyone's mind off it and probably the best thing that could happen to us by going to Greece and enjoying a fantastic island holiday...

Comment

Working...
                              X