Good pub thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
    This new bar in Newtown looks interesting and they have Young Henry's on tap too.Going to have to check this palce out.

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/bar...marys#picture0
    Far out, that sounds all right. Might give that a go on Friday night......

Have you tried the one next to the Sando, Argy Bargy? It's run by an Argentinian bloke (obviously)....pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingsgrove-Loiner View Post
      Far out, that sounds all right. Might give that a go on Friday night......

Have you tried the one next to the Sando, Argy Bargy? It's run by an Argentinian bloke (obviously)....pretty good too.
      Looking forward to checking this place out, let us know what its like if you go on Friday, would have come up for drink but going to a show in town.I like the look of the food too, burgers and fried chicken, I eat quite healthy but burgers and fried chicken[especially chicken] are just so yummy if done properly[not Maccas or KFC].
      Have not been to Argy Bargy yet but it is on my list along the nearby 3 Olives Greek restaurant and a wine and tapas bar next to St Peters Station called Rock Salt, just looks so inviting warm and intimate.

Comment

Just had a look at their website, the draught beer is Young Henry's of Newtown. Pretty good if you fancy a change from the usual New/VB/Carlton.

Never seen it in the Newtown pubs.....maybe because I haven't looked for it.
        was at the rose last night(close to king st,sorry im from canberra) after the game and had afew young henrys there cos i remembered hearing it from you guys, wasnt bad. they have afew diff beers on tap and a beer of the month. food was good too and the beer garden was good too. enjoyed it.

had a cracker kebab while walking home from there too, it was a couple blocks down the road from the rose, found it on the way to the cleveland hotel, it looked like a restaurant that opens a section til late( was bout 1am) kebabs were great and not off that big stuck together mound of meat like in most kebab shops, but cooked infront of you on a grill and a nice whack of garlic sauce and taboulie. was a great find at that hour.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
          was at the rose last night(close to king st,sorry im from canberra) after the game and had afew young henrys there cos i remembered hearing it from you guys, wasnt bad. they have afew diff beers on tap and a beer of the month. food was good too and the beer garden was good too. enjoyed it.

had a cracker kebab while walking home from there too, it was a couple blocks down the road from the rose, found it on the way to the cleveland hotel, it looked like a restaurant that opens a section til late( was bout 1am) kebabs were great and not off that big stuck together mound of meat like in most kebab shops, but cooked infront of you on a grill and a nice whack of garlic sauce and taboulie. was a great find at that hour.
          The Rose of Australia at Erko? Yeah, good pub - I went there the other Friday for dinner.

You walked from the Rose to the Cleveland Hotel? That's a fair hike at that time of night.

We ended up in the KB later on after the game. Went to the bar for 3 Carltons, and the young girl behind the bar goes 'do you want a jug for $10, it's much cheaper?' Now that's what you call service when you can hardly stand up.

HH, went to Mary's on Friday, but got there a bit late (8:30 ish) and couldn't get in - it was full. To be fair, they brought a plate of chips out to share between the people in the queue, which was a nice touch.....but I'm far too old and cranky to wait longer than 30 seconds to get into a pub.

Ended up in the Black Sheep a bit further up King St. And typical of Newtown, had a nice bottle of Spanish red and a couple of games of Connect 4.

Will try Marys again soon, and try to get there earlier.

In other news, The Henson Park re opens this weekend after the facelift....can't wait. Nothing like a 50 metre walk home.....

Comment

yep it was a looong walk! (this one is just called the rose i think, its near the top of cleveland st and almost joins city rd) all down the one street though, so stopped into a late night shop for a pack of cigs then found that kebab joint(do you know the one im talking bout?) then got to the cleveland cos it was open til bout 230am.

will try to get to a jets game soon and just pub crawl the places you have mentioned.

good thread.

The Rose of Australia at Erko? Yeah, good pub - I went there the other Friday for dinner.

You walked from the Rose to the Cleveland Hotel? That's a fair hike at that time of night.

We ended up in the KB later on after the game. Went to the bar for 3 Carltons, and the young girl behind the bar goes 'do you want a jug for $10, it's much cheaper?' Now that's what you call service when you can hardly stand up.

HH, went to Mary's on Friday, but got there a bit late (8:30 ish) and couldn't get in - it was full. To be fair, they brought a plate of chips out to share between the people in the queue, which was a nice touch.....but I'm far too old and cranky to wait longer than 30 seconds to get into a pub.

Ended up in the Black Sheep a bit further up King St. And typical of Newtown, had a nice bottle of Spanish red and a couple of games of Connect 4.

In other news, The Henson Park re opens this weekend after the facelift....can't wait. Nothing like a 50 metre walk home.....
            Last edited by milanja; 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

yep it was a looong walk! all down the one street though, so stopped into a late night shop for a pack of cigs then found that kebab joint(do you know the one im talking bout?) then got to the cleveland cos it was open til bout 230am.

will try to get to a jets game soon and just pub crawl the places you have mentioned.

good thread.
              I probably know it, but I'm pretty sure I've never been in. Sounds like it's worth sussing out though.

Comment

Yeah I think I would go early to check it out, the idea of fried chicken has my lips licking.A nice bottle of Spanish red sounds good too.Will have to check out the Henson once it reopens.

Comment

yep it was a looong walk! (this one is just called the rose i think, its near the top of cleveland st and almost joins city rd) all down the one street though, so stopped into a late night shop for a pack of cigs then found that kebab joint(do you know the one im talking bout?) then got to the cleveland cos it was open til bout 230am.

good thread.
                  Used to go to the Rose when I worked around the Redfern/Waterloo area years ago, around the corner was another great pub called the Duck and the Swan, it is called The Duck Inn now, the food is supposed to be good since its been done up so looking forward to having a revisit there one day soon.

Comment

So the Henson Park re - opened yesterday after a couple of false starts. It's now just the Henson....and is very good.

Some funky beers, Young Henry being one...as well as all the usuals. Ms Loiner reckons the house Pinot Noir is one of the best going around. One of the old timers was moaning that the Pure Blond is $6, but the Carlton is a more sensible $5, which is just about par for Sydney I reckon.

The Bistro is great. We shared sticky lamb ribs, chicken and lime tacos, kumera fries, and calamari with a jalapeno dipping sauce - all for under $40.

The new courtyard looks pretty good too, although it was a bit too cold last night to investigate it further.

They have a very rare Sydney event these days.....a selection of pinball machines. It's like the pokie room, but it has pinball and Pacman. Awesome.

Only downside as far as I can see it the lack of Foxsports, although they might be getting this - I'll have to ask.

It's well worth a visit, and I expect it to be jam packed the next time the Jets are at home. I'll be the one shaking my head and beefing about all the strangers in 'my pub'.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post
                      Yes I always enjoyed the Forrester. BTW , is that P. J Harvey in your avatar?

I enjoy the East End Brewery here in HK. I live on the East side of the island and there amuch less pubs thn the Central area. Its only 10 minutes to downtown but its always good to have a local. Great choice of brews and good pub food.
                      The East end Brewery is my pick also.. In OZ its the Ori.

Comment

Couple of new bars/pubs to report.

Went to Mary's in Newtown on Friday night for a couple. Very, very expensive. A pint of Young Henry's would set you back $10. Ms Loiner had a champers (she wouldn't have had if I'd realised it was $14) and it wasn't too flash. For that price, I'd have hoped for some Bolly or something....

Had "The Best Burger in Sydney" according to Time Out magazine - and it was OK. More more reasonably priced than the drinks ($14 ) and it came with chips.

We were leaving to go about 7ish, and there was already a queue to get in, so it's very popular. For how much longer, who knows.

Went to the old Sando after that. It's now called Newtown Social. Much better pub. Full, easy going, more wallet friendly, and plenty of bar staff. Even have a big telly with the footy on, which is a big unusual for one of the newer, trendier places. Would definitely recommend.

Comment

Couple of new bars/pubs to report.

Went to Mary's in Newtown on Friday night for a couple. Very, very expensive. A pint of Young Henry's would set you back $10. Ms Loiner had a champers (she wouldn't have had if I'd realised it was $14) and it wasn't too flash. For that price, I'd have hoped for some Bolly or something....

Had "The Best Burger in Sydney" according to Time Out magazine - and it was OK. More more reasonably priced than the drinks ($14 ) and it came with chips.

We were leaving to go about 7ish, and there was already a queue to get in, so it's very popular. For how much longer, who knows.

Went to the old Sando after that. It's now called Newtown Social. Much better pub. Full, easy going, more wallet friendly, and plenty of bar staff. Even have a big telly with the footy on, which is a big unusual for one of the newer, trendier places. Would definitely recommend.
                          Still have not been to Mary's yet.Have noticed the Bank has Young Henrys there now too.Will check out the old Sando sometime soon.Went to Bench for a couple of cocktails before a play last sunday, very pleasant.
                          How is the new Henson Park Hotel?, almost went there last Saturday.
                          Last edited by horrie hastings; 07-23-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I was reading about Newtown Social in the paper the other day. They are having fashion markets inside like the one I used to have a stall at in Melbourne at the Fitzroy Workers' Club. Didn't realise it was the old Sando..The Whitlams have a song called God Drinks At The Sando..
                            "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                            Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
                              Still have not been to Mary's yet.Have noticed the Bank has Young Henrys there now too.Will check out the old Sando sometime soon.Went to Bench for a couple of cocktails before a play last sunday, very pleasant.
                              How is the new Henson Park Hotel?, almost went there last Saturday.
                              Henson is awesome mate. Chockers full after a Jets game, and has plenty in most other nights.

They sell Young Henry's too.....which is a good thing since they took the Carlton out. Apparently the brewery got a bit heavy handed with them, so they told them to ram it.

It serves brekky as well on a Saturday and Sunday and is well worth a visit if you're going to the market.

Off there tonight for the trivia......hopefully we can win a few beer vouchers.

Comment

Cedars Tavern is da bomb...

Comment

Working...
                                X