Another rat deserts the ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post

I think the mining boom and its domino effects had a greater exponential impact. Investments lead to profits / more income leads to more demand leads to more spending leads to more tax revenue etc etc. Exports leads to more income / demand / profit / tax revenue etc.

Or maybe I’m just a crap economist.
    Some of this might have been due to Hawke/Keating opening up trade to China and floating our dollar.

We might have actually 'had to have' a small recession because inflation was outta control so needed correcting through independent monetary policy. This MIGHT have improved our terms of trade, enabling a mining boom shortly after...

Or, you can run the line that being in power during a mining boom & using the windfalls for vote-buying activities (in the form of middle-class welfare) is what facilitated the said economic conditions. The leader who did so mighta also over-spent on unpopular wars, denied climate change, had a whole 'kids overboard' story to vilify asylum seekers, refused to accept the stolen generation ever happened, slammed Australia into economic decline towards the end of his stint and emphatically lost his (extremely safe) seat as a result of trying to screw workers over with 'Work Choices'.

His name 'Honest John' (which Tories now boast about) may have also been coined by Keating, who used it sarcastically because he was a crooked fark who he told everybody would backflip on GST if elected. Can't remember if that happened and he then lost the 1998 election on a two party preferred basis but JUST got over the line due to a crooked deal with Pauline Hanson. Can't remember!

It's really an either / or situation though... ay :P
    Last edited by ism22; 12-14-2023, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Some of this might have been due to Hawke/Keating opening up trade to China and floating our dollar.

We might have actually 'had to have' a small recession because inflation was outta control so needed correcting through independent monetary policy. This MIGHT have improved our terms of trade, enabling a mining boom shortly after...

Or, you can run the line that being in power during a mining boom & using the windfalls for vote-buying activities (in the form of middle-class welfare) is what facilitated the said economic conditions. The leader who did so mighta also over-spent on unpopular wars, denied climate change, had a whole 'kids overboard' story to vilify asylum seekers, refused to accept the stolen generation ever happened, slammed Australia into economic decline towards the end of his stint and emphatically lost his (extremely safe) seat as a result of trying to screw workers over with 'Work Choices'.

His name 'Honest John' (which Tories now boast about) may have also been coined by Keating, who used it sarcastically because he was a crooked fark who he told everybody would backflip on GST if elected. Can't remember if that happened and he then lost the 1998 election on a two party preferred basis but JUST got over the line due to a crooked deal with Pauline Hanson. Can't remember!

It's really an either / or situation though... ay :P
      Haha..that third paragraph is a good summary.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
        Fark some tories are putrid. It's that stupid born to lead mentality... whenever they're not in power (which is historically not very often), it's 3 years of incessant whinging and putrid 'jokes' like 'put her in a body bag'.

Grow up! Some of us quietly endured deplorable candidates like Turnbull, Abbott and ScoMo without taking it so personally... while you creamed your pants over policies such as RoboDebt, shonky community grants, illegal citizenship & migration laws (from Dutton), delayed access to COVID vaccines, partying in Hawaii while Australia was blanketed in bushfire smoke, joining Trump's trade war against China (leading to a heap of band on our goods), refusing to acknowledge climate change and a heap of corrupt bull from Gladys / Ayres.

It's okay to disagree with individual policies but if you're just a member of the tories wanting to vent at us then control yourself. Grow a pair and lay off the misogynistic crap. Sorry that left-wing women with power trigger you so much...
        Vent much lol

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Parra View Post

We don't have Tories in Australia, Padded Cell 61.
          No, we certainly do not have Tories or Conservatives of the Burkean persuasion in Australia. There is no history or tradition of Australian Conservative theory or literature. The Party is purely and simply an anti - Labor/Labour party. The coalition of Capital which along with its media backers was spooked by Labor's win in 1910 after just 10 years of existence. No level is too low when it comes to winning and staying in power including a Coup. Fear though, remains the ongoing tactic and fear can only be effectively disseminated by a complicit media.

It is a reactionary cabal of Corporation interests that prides itself on its "pragmatism" which in reality means "standing for nothing".
          Last edited by Paddo Colt 61; 12-15-2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Did any of them kill Kimberley Kitching?
            Well she did and a lot of Robo -"debtors" did as well I'm told.

Kimberley was a wingnut and who knows why they do drastic things. The only ALP member of that dopey Christian Lib group that preposterously called itself "The Wolverines" - paralysed by "the China threat" - They were onto those sneaky Chows as I'm sure you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddo Colt 61 View Post

Kimberley was a wingnut and who knows why they do drastic things. The only ALP member of that dopey Christian Lib group that preposterously called itself "The Wolverines" - paralysed by "the China threat" - They were onto those sneaky Chows as I'm sure you are.
              LOL- ill pay that! Gave me a good laugh!!

Comment

A traitor in the ranks now outed...I'm sure we all have our strong suspicions as to the identity of the felon. ASIO should disclose. Who could possibly be cosier with China than his own country?

Airbus Albo will be desperate to keep it covered until Dunkley is run and won though. He needs another Taytay or Katy P gig to distract from his incompetent Govt.

While Rome burned, Nero fiddled..
                Last edited by Jacks Fur Coat; 03-01-2024, 07:53 AM.

Comment

My experience is that it's usually the ones who purport to be hardline on security / policing / compliance who are doing so to cover-up the fact they're doing the dodge on the side.

Can think of so many examples of when outwardly strict people are hiding something.
                  Last edited by ism22; 03-01-2024, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
                    A traitor in the ranks now outed...I'm sure we all have our strong suspicions as to the identity of the felon. ASIO should disclose. Who could possibly be cosier with China than his own country?

Airbus Albo will be desperate to keep it covered until Dunkley is run and won though. He needs another Taytay or Katy P gig to distract from his incompetent Govt.

While Rome burned, Nero fiddled..
                    Who do you reckon it might be?

Sam Dastardly is my bet.

But nothing will be released until after the Dunkley byelection.
                    1985: 1 try vs Parramatta, 1 try vs Manly, 1 try vs Wests, 2 tries vs Souffs
                    1986: 2 tries vs Illawarra, 1 try vs Balmain, 2 tries vs Norths.

Comment

Sam Dastardly is my bet.

Mr. Bean has denied any involvement....which leaves us with a riddle to ponder:

I'm a bushranger yea; a Kelly gang man
                      Mary Poppins I'm not; though some say I am
                      Love a Don't Argue; its been said in dispatch
                      Look up, lock down....I win every match!

Comment

Keating called our security services "Ning Nongs", the only bloke to get WMDs right got the sack. We've had "nest of spies" but no arrests and now this one - a "traitor" who committed no crime at the time of his "treason". Laughable! This Burgess has to go - another J Edgar making himself untouchable through scare mongering before a by election.

I remarked some time ago that there were politically committed coppers after the spate of arrests of people released by the High Court decision. Now, on the eve of Dunkley, another arrest of sex offending refugee is quickly sent to the Libs for use in question time, except that the "arrestee" turned out to be the wrong guy. The Libs haven't recanted of course because most mugs would still believe the original report or would want to believe it.
                        Last edited by Paddo Colt 61; 03-01-2024, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Sam Dastardly is my bet.

I reckon it's Johnny Howard. He was always a US arse licker. How many of our "secrets" would he have passed on?

Comment

Keating called our security services "Ning Nongs", the only bloke to get WMDs right got the sack. We've had "nest of spies" but no arrests and now this one - a "traitor" who committed no crime at the time of his "treason". Laughable! This Burgess has to go - another J Edgar making himself untouchable through scare mongering before a by election.

I remarked some time ago that there were politically committed coppers after the spate of arrests of people released by the High Court decision. Now, on the eve of Dunkley, another arrest of sex offending refugee is quickly sent to the Libs for use in question time, except that the "arrestee" turned out to be the wrong guy. The Libs haven't recanted of course because most mugs would still believe the original report or would want to believe it.
                            Dutton: the guz-ment is hopeless!!! They can't keep these guys locked up and ooooh ooooh... further proof... one's now been arrested so they MUST have lost control.

Response: you created the illegal laws around indefinite detention you farking idiot! Also, the guy was falsely arrested with charges later withdrawn. Know much about premature ejaculations Potato Head?

Comment

Working...
                            X