Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walker needs a break.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Walker needs a break.

    Got to face facts, the kid is a freak, and will be a superstar, but he is obviously carrying a shoulder injury, and now an ankle, I think we are putting him at risk of something more serious. We can't put that much pressure on an 18 year old, especially with so many of our regular first graders missing. I think he should be rested for a couple of weeks. I am prepared to be shot down, and yes i understand we are in dire straits, But the kid can't carry us while he is obviously injured. I have been very positive up to now about our chances this year, but it's time to face facts, we can't win it from here, unless tragedy strikes Penrith and Melbourne in injuries, and even then it's an outside chance.

  • #2
    i don't think we should give up on winning it this year. we're not in the top tier after our injuries but we need to hang tough and stay there or thereabouts. making the prelim is a realistic goal and then, with a bit of luck, you're only 2 games away from being premiers. we need to make sure we're in a spot where we can take advantage of any luck that comes our way. we're a better chance of winning it than that skater bradbury was of winning a gold medal before everyone fell over. clubs like canterbury would kill to be in our situation.

    but sam walker needs to be managed. he's a few ks short of optimum weight and will do it tough playing out a full season. maybe a few games off is the answer, maybe defending out wide, maybe only taking the tackle when absolutely necessary.

    Comment


    • #3
      I tend to agree and I thought the ankle injury might be the catalyst but apparently the ankle is all good.

      I think it will happen but not next week as we play at Suncorp in front of his family and friends. More likely the following week against the Broncos if his shoulder is still causing issues.

      Comment


      • #4
        agreed with giving him a break

        Comment


        • #5
          Good chance he'll be rested for another rookie this week.
          Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

          Comment


          • #6
            I can't see him being rested for his first match in his home city and state on the back of an 8 day turnaround.

            We have a bye in a month, if he's fit he should play.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vasco View Post
              Good chance he'll be rested for another rookie this week.
              Which rookie?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zac View Post
                but sam walker needs to be managed. he's a few ks short of optimum weight and will do it tough playing out a full season. maybe a few games off is the answer, maybe defending out wide, maybe only taking the tackle when absolutely necessary.
                I've got a few spare kilos available that I can lend to him, in fact, I'll straight out give them to him as a present.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Unless his ankle flares up he will play. He’s thriving atm. Just needs a bit of protecting to keep him on the field. He’s a tough kid, super fit and 80 minutes doesn’t faze him. Anyway as if what we think will influence Robbo lol. Trust in Robbo. He knows better than us.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RoosterChick View Post
                    Unless his ankle flares up he will play. He’s thriving atm. Just needs a bit of protecting to keep him on the field. He’s a tough kid, super fit and 80 minutes doesn’t faze him. Anyway as if what we think will influence Robbo lol. Trust in Robbo. He knows better than us.
                    Yes I would have to trust Robbo, the medical staff and Sam himself to make the correct decision on this one because I don't know how bad Sam's ankle is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Thirteen View Post

                      Which rookie?
                      Volkman.
                      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is just part and parcel of being a elite athlete. Playing through niggles is common for all athletes, no one is ever fully fit.

                        Part of his learning and development, already shown he's got a lot of ticker. Playing needled up every week.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Every game is a learning curve for Sam Walker, and every week he will face a new challenge, whether it’s playing through injuries or having the biggest bloke from the opposition running at him all game!

                          The whole idea is for him to play through these challenges and come out the other side as a much more polished player..

                          I would be very surprised if he’s given a break unless he’s physically unable to play through injury..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                            This is just part and parcel of being a elite athlete. Playing through niggles is common for all athletes, no one is ever fully fit.

                            Part of his learning and development, already shown he's got a lot of ticker. Playing needled up every week.
                            The kid is tough, I don't doubt that, and if we were at or near full strength, I would say let him play, but i feel he is being put in a position and under pressure which is unfair when we are understrength. We will see how it turns out, but I would rather he be rested now for a week or two, than get injured because he is favouring something and end up off the field for a long term.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lydon View Post
                              Every game is a learning curve for Sam Walker, and every week he will face a new challenge, whether it’s playing through injuries or having the biggest bloke from the opposition running at him all game!

                              The whole idea is for him to play through these challenges and come out the other side as a much more polished player..

                              I would be very surprised if he’s given a break unless he’s physically unable to play through injury..
                              I disagree, the current situation is not a challenge that should be put on the shoulders of an 18 year old rookie half, no matter how brilliant he is.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X