No announcement yet.

Fitzy gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we’ll be fine, no matter what Fitzy decides. But when I’m changing jobs, I look at how the company treated my predecessors. Knowing that I have no right to expect any different, I factor that into my decision. With Fitzy, he’s a rookie head coach like Morris, albeit from a winning club. He’s walking into a club where, unlike the usual situation when a coach leaves, the playing group is vociferously defending his predecessor. He will have to prove himself to them and win those guys over, as well as impress a trigger-happy board. Add to that, if he fails, his assistant, Ciraldo, does have first grade experience, so he could be seamlessly replaced. And then Fitzy’s a failed head coach and it’s back to assisting. So unless he poaches half the Roosters squad AND wins the grand final, the signs are not good for Fitzy. I see perfectly well why the Sharks want him, I just don’t see why he’s willing to risk all for them. If he’s patient, I’m sure a better opportunity will present itself.

But whatever he decides, I do wish him well. Maybe it will work out. He seems like a good guy and people who know better than me rate him as a coach. I’d just hate to see that talent wasted on a club with a dodgy reputation that also apparently eats its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosters1908 View Post
      I think we’ll be fine, no matter what Fitzy decides. But when I’m changing jobs, I look at how the company treated my predecessors. Knowing that I have no right to expect any different, I factor that into my decision. With Fitzy, he’s a rookie head coach like Morris, albeit from a winning club. He’s walking into a club where, unlike the usual situation when a coach leaves, the playing group is vociferously defending his predecessor. He will have to prove himself to them and win those guys over, as well as impress a trigger-happy board. Add to that, if he fails, his assistant, Ciraldo, does have first grade experience, so he could be seamlessly replaced. And then Fitzy’s a failed head coach and it’s back to assisting. So unless he poaches half the Roosters squad AND wins the grand final, the signs are not good for Fitzy. I see perfectly well why the Sharks want him, I just don’t see why he’s willing to risk all for them. If he’s patient, I’m sure a better opportunity will present itself.

But whatever he decides, I do wish him well. Maybe it will work out. He seems like a good guy and people who know better than me rate him as a coach. I’d just hate to see that talent wasted on a club with a dodgy reputation that also apparently eats its own.
      Agreed.

I guess with the NRL, something constantly playing out could be that these jobs are rare and you can often transfer 'at level' once you're a head coach.

I'd be thinking that Fitzy's set for life from a financial perspective and won't lose much if he fails. That is... he doesn't need to spend the next decade earning a token ~$250k to assist Robbo behind the scenes and has been doing it because he enjoys it. Maybe he's feeling a bit stale now and (for example) has discussed the idea of Cords/Friend/King taking over because the thought of doing the job makes them all way more excited than he's feeling (just examples).

Looking at the Knights' coach... there's no guarantees and the only time you get these jobs is when the board's unhappy with a coach (very rarely a successful coach like Gus will move aside and give his apprentice control over a team that's just about to win a premiership).

IMO if Fitzy took the job it'd be because the idea of being a head coach excites him. If he can improve the culture and keep the board happy, he's probably sitting on a top-8 team. Bide your time, make the top-8, keep the board/players happy...etc then IMO any head coach can turn into a 5-10 year career on $1m+ a season if you play your cards right.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
        Fitzy leaves. Paul Green anyone or do we elevate Kingy and Nug runs water. Even do we look at Paul Morris as an assistant. The shire has made the finals for the past 2 years and arent spooners. What the heck you can never have tooooo many Morris:s in a team
        Paul Morris?? -where is he coaching or assisting

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

You know he means John Morris. Why be a d!ck about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post

You know he means John Morris. Why be a d!ck about it?
            You know he was having a joke / dig so why be a dick about it

Comment

Yeh John morris. so now everyone can stop being diks. me especially for not googling the shires coach. anyhow
              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

so we can take the ? off the thread's title.

good luck to him and hope we can use his expertise to good effect this year

Comment

Happy to be off the merry-go-round every time a coach gets the boot and Fitzys linked.
                  Happier for him he's obviously now we know wanted to head coach . Can't stand the sharks still though and its tosser fanbase.

Uncle Nick looked after him through the negotiating then, feeding Gould the BS that Fitzy told Nick he never spoke to sharks , yet 3 days later its sorted!!! F off Gus.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

Don't know about him, but they really should avoid Phillip Morris, he's a real choker!....tish boom!

Comment

Yes, we all wish him well and he deserves a chance at a big gig and he wants to improve himself and all that. Just one thing, though..............DON'T GO, FITZY!

(I'm not sure what people have against the Sharks. It's not as if they've caused us too many problems on the field over the years. I'm just annoyed I can't use my joke anymore about thieves breaking into the Sharks Trophy Room and stealing the carpet!)

Comment

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/13/...ants-decision/. Done deal apparently

Comment

Unfortunately gone....I wonder if his 'success' will be similar to O'Brien's at Newcastle ? Justg because you leave the Roosters doesn't automatically translate into suiccess elsewhere. But I genuinely hope he does well, as long as he doesnt take any players we want with him...

Comment

Originally posted by gragra View Post
                            Unfortunately gone....I wonder if his 'success' will be similar to O'Brien's at Newcastle ? Justg because you leave the Roosters doesn't automatically translate into suiccess elsewhere. But I genuinely hope he does well, as long as he doesnt take any players we want with him...
                            Exactly. there is so much more too it. The Roosters success is built around a multitude of reasons. I guess we will soon find out

Comment

You can't begrudge Fitzy for taking this opportunity to become a head coach at a club. Best of luck to him, except for when the Sharks play us.

Comment

500k a year for fitzy, probably doubles or triples his current salary, still doesn’t sound like an awful lot for the time effort, criticism and pressure he will be under.

Comment

Working...
                                X