Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roosters' Rugby Signings 1969

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roosters' Rugby Signings 1969

    I remember these two guys signing for us. One went on to become a legend. The other broke his leg in his first few weeks with us and was hardly seen again.

    Some of the other oldies here will remember them well.

  • #2
    Before my time, who are they?

    Is one John Brass?
    Originally posted by The Axe View Post
    Very easy to understand Zac so I'll spell it out. Bondi Boy wants Menzies to reincarnate and run the labour party.
    Meanwhile ISM is out looking for Harold Holt and a dingo with a snorkel an digging holes in Griffith wearing an Al Grassby tie

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post
      Before my time, who are they?

      Is one John Brass?
      Yep - John is on the left. The other is a guy called Alan Cardy. A lightning fast Wallaby winger.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just been reading up on Alan Cardy, interesting union career, cant say I really remember him when he came to Easts in 1969 although it mentions he broke his leg in the pre season of 1969 and only played in 1970, there are no stats on how many games he played but he did score 5 tries.
        As we know the other bloke John Brass formed one the most lethal centre pairings with Mark Harris and was one of the best goal kickers ever. I still remember Brass's last game for the Roosters in the minor semi against Canterbury in 1976, Brass kicked 5 goals and scored the only Roosters try but the Roosters got towelled by a young and upcoming Steve Mortimer. It was a very flat farewell for such a champion but I'm not actually sure whether he had decided it was his last game at the time.

        Here is an article about Alan Cardy

        http://www.aru.com.au/wallabies/TheT...e.aspx?pid=432

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
          Just been reading up on Alan Cardy, interesting union career, cant say I really remember him when he came to Easts in 1969 although it mentions he broke his leg in the pre season of 1969 and only played in 1970, there are no stats on how many games he played but he did score 5 tries.
          As we know the other bloke John Brass formed one the most lethal centre pairings with Mark Harris and was one of the best goal kickers ever. I still remember Brass's last game for the Roosters in the minor semi against Canterbury in 1976, Brass kicked 5 goals and scored the only Roosters try but the Roosters got towelled by a young and upcoming Steve Mortimer. It was a very flat farewell for such a champion but I'm not actually sure whether he had decided it was his last game at the time.

          Here is an article about Alan Cardy

          http://www.aru.com.au/wallabies/TheT...e.aspx?pid=432
          Thanks for that link, Horrie. Interesting.

          I remember being at the preseason game when he broke his leg. Pretty sure it was at Redfern Oval.

          I have no memory of his 1970 season, but think he played about 10 games.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Spirit and HH much appreciated fellas...
            Originally posted by The Axe View Post
            Very easy to understand Zac so I'll spell it out. Bondi Boy wants Menzies to reincarnate and run the labour party.
            Meanwhile ISM is out looking for Harold Holt and a dingo with a snorkel an digging holes in Griffith wearing an Al Grassby tie

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spirit of 66 View Post

              Thanks for that link, Horrie. Interesting.

              I remember being at the preseason game when he broke his leg. Pretty sure it was at Redfern Oval.

              I have no memory of his 1970 season, but think he played about 10 games.
              Just came across this Spirit and also read the link horrie hastings provided. Good stuff. I was at Belmore Oval for the opening of the new ground - they'd basically squared the ground off from the old oval. It was a night game and had attracted a lot of attention. Cardy and Brass were making their debut. I was excited to see them in action as I had seen both play Union and knew we had two good buys. Easts won that night. From memory it was a score of 10 to 7 or two tries to one.

              Our tries were scored by Cardy and Brass. Alan Cardy's was a searing sideline run from around halfway. He was everything expected...lightning quick and with a great fend. Brass scored off an intercept. He read the play well and ran about thirty yards with virtually no-one to beat. They looked a great combination but not to be. When Cardy returned from his broken leg he never regained his speed and retired. We never saw the best of him. But John Brass was one of our true greats.

              Comment

              Working...
              X