Rank the Fullbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the Fullbacks

We've had some good fullbacks over the years.
    Rank this group of Roosters fullbacks from best to worst....

Russell Fairfax
    Marty Gurr
    Gary Wurth
    Rod Silva
    Luke Phillips
    Anthony Minichiello
    Ivan Cleary
    Andrew Walker

Originally posted by HEGtheROOSTER View Post

Russell Fairfax
    Marty Gurr
    Gary Wurth
    Rod Silva
    Luke Phillips
    Anthony Minichiello
    Ivan Cleary
    Andrew Walker
    Marty Gurr was always my favourite, great defending fullback and excellent under the high ball, no slouch in the attack department either, he had a great understanding with Kevin Hastings either when Horrie put a kick through or put the ball through his hands.

Luke Phillips, the man was just pure guts, his effort alone in the 2000 GF should have earned him man of the match, he put his body on the line and saved so many tricky situations. 2002, he did the same thing but came up with the premiership ring that year

Andrew Walker was just one of the most talented and freaky players I have ever seen play either at full back or five eight.

Rod Silva was also a big favourite, scored so many amazing tries with that great side step, just ashame his defensive capabilities were not to his attacking standards.

Russell Fairfax was one of the most gifted players when he had the ball in his hands and also knew when to follow one of the forwards when a try was on, unfortunately he was never the same after breaking his leg late in 1975.

Will rate the others a bit later on.

Comment

Not on your list is Alan McKean - 60s and early 70s, just before our glory run in 74-75. A great sidestep - I once saw him take a kick and step the whole team for an individual try. I think Spirit of 66 still has the cut out newspaper headline, "McKEAN REVELS AS EASTS UPSET SOUTHS", from a game in which I believe he scored 3 tries.

Comment

Walker was just magical in '97 and '98. Defensively, though, not in the same league as some of the others.

I'd have to put Minichiello on top by a fair distance.

I only saw Fairy towards the end of his career, but he must have been a sight to behold in '74 and early '75.

Phillips was all guts and could ball play like a five-eighth.

Wurth was dynamic. A great returner of the ball.

Comment

To be honest its pretty hard to compare as the role of fullback has changed so dramatically. I loved Russell Fairfax. I was the 7 year old kid who grew his hair long just to look like Fairfax. But Mini is the legend. He will be hard to oust as number 1 custodian ever to pull on a roosters jersey.

Comment

Originally posted by Byronrooster View Post
            I was the 7 year old kid who grew his hair long just to look like Fairfax.
            .....and I was the 11 year old kid who grew his hair long just to look like Fairfax!

I agree though, Mini's feats top them all. Two premierships, one as Captain, the fight back from serious injury, the Golden Boot award for best player in the world, etc, etc...

I was a massive fan of all these fullbacks, which is why I put the post up.

'Uncle' Walker was one of the most naturally gifted footballers that I've ever seen. The first of the torpedo bombers.

Fairy was just magic, and the football telepathy he had with Big Artie at times was breathtaking.

'Diamond' was an absolute pro, and just so solid, dependable, and gutsy.

'HiHo' could step about 3m sideways at pace, and was always a chance of scoring a try. Hated seeing him running around in the Dogs uniform.

'Watsy' was a great all-round fullback who gave great service to the club. Hated seeing him run around in the Raiders uniform.

Marty Gurr was another excellent all-round fullback who I really thought was a corker of a player. Hated seeing him run around in the Manly uniform.

Ivan Cleary was a great positional player. A thinker. His positional play in defence was immaculate, and he just glided around the field in attack....

I never saw Alan McKean play......

Comment

'Watsy' was a great all-round fullback who gave great service to the club. Hated seeing him run around in the Raiders uniform.
              If you are talking about Garry Wurth, he actually came to us from the Raiders, when he left Easts he went to Newcastle.

Comment

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

If you are talking about Garry Wurth, he actually came to us from the Raiders, when he left Easts he went to Newcastle.
                Hated seeing him in the Knights jersey as well!
                He was strong for us at the back....

Comment

Hated seeing him in the Knights jersey as well!
                  He was strong for us at the back....
                  He was actually 5/8th when he left the Raiders to come to East, i think he only played 4 or 5 first grade games for the Raiders, when at Easts the first couple of years he played 5/8th also but started to play fullback later on, 1987 was his best year, I still remember his 3 try effort in the final game at the old Sports Ground back in 1986.

Comment

Anthony Minichiello , Russel Fairfax, Alan McKeen, Rod Silva , Gary Wurth

Comment

They were all good, but Diamond Phillips effort in the 2000 GF was amazing

Comment

A Minichiello for contributions over a long period and winning 2 premierships and many minor premierships he played in the hardest era.

Comment

Russell Fairfax
                          Marty Gurr
                          Gary Wurth
                          Rod Silva
                          Luke Phillips
                          Anthony Minichiello
                          Ivan Cleary
                          Andrew Walker
                          You Left out Wayne Challis- I am sure he was MOTM against Parra one game playing Fullback
                          Last edited by King Salvo; 04-21-2017, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Braith Anasta.

Sorry, but someone had to do it.
                            Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

As a 8 & 9 year old I thought Fairfax was unreal especially the way he went up for the bombs with his long hair all fanned out but as an adult I havnt seen anyone better than Mini 2004, 2005,2006.
                              Originally posted by Chook;n805564
                              Why the fark anyone takes any notice of modern media is beyond me. It's all click bait populist crap aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Chook.

Comment

Working...
                              X