Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first Roosters game you attended?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkway_Drive
    started a topic What was your first Roosters game you attended?

What was your first Roosters game you attended?

Mine was a miserable wet day verses the Eels at Cumberland oval. I think it was 1981....Eric Grothe scored or nearly scored a near length of the field try against us...Im sure Horrie had a good game. I was that young I cannot remember whether we actually won.

• horrie hastings
    replied
    Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
    Yep looks like it.

Leave a comment:

• bunnywithteeth
    replied
    Yes it was indeed King Salvo. I was in my last year of primary school in 1986, & went to about 16 Souths matches that year including this one. Funnily enough, I went to most of those matches on my own. In 2017 a 11 year old at the footy alone it would be impossible.

Thanks for the footage, great memories.

Leave a comment:

• King Salvo
    replied
    Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

Yep I remember Ross Harrington steam rolling Garry Wurth in that game at Redfern back in 1986. And yes you are right about Ross Harrington playing a couple of games for the Roosters but it was in 1992.
    was this the match??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPvuKBTmD4w

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    Originally posted by bunnywithteeth View Post
    Yep it was Ross Harrington. He was built like Wendell Sailor or Eric Grothe but much slower & less skilled. I'm pretty sure Harrington played a few games for Easts in 1991. Happy to be corrected on this.
    Yep I remember Ross Harrington steam rolling Garry Wurth in that game at Redfern back in 1986. And yes you are right about Ross Harrington playing a couple of games for the Roosters but it was in 1992.

Leave a comment:

• oldrooster
    replied
    1976 round 22 vs North Sydney at North Sydney Oval.
    I was then a newly arrived Sydneysider and Bears supporter.
    Arthur and his merry men put the cleaners through the Bears 39-8 for the second time that year!

Leave a comment:

• bunnywithteeth
    replied
    Yep it was Ross Harrington. He was built like Wendell Sailor or Eric Grothe but much slower & less skilled. I'm pretty sure Harrington played a few games for Easts in 1991. Happy to be corrected on this.

Leave a comment:

• 4 the all in brawl
    replied
    Originally posted by bunnywithteeth View Post
    As a Souths fan, I can verify that Davidson didn't mind a cheap shot. There's YouTube footage of some of his biff too; one involves Peter Kelly at a scrum when Kelly played for Penrith.

1st game I remember going to was Souths vs Easts at Redfern Oval. Pretty sure it was 1983 & Chooks won 34-10. Don't recall much else as I was pretty young.

In 1986 I again saw Souths vs Easts at Redfern, & Souths won 8-6. I remember clearly Gary Wurth being concussed or dazed after Harrington ran over him for a try.
    Ross Harrington?

Les Davidson was a pretty wild and angry player. Our Lindsay Collins reminds me a bit of him.

Leave a comment:

• The Chook
    replied
    2004, we smashed the Panthers at the SFS. Morley and co tore their pack a new one and Minichullio and Fittler had massive games. I think we scored over 40.

Leave a comment:

• bunnywithteeth
    replied
    As a Souths fan, I can verify that Davidson didn't mind a cheap shot. There's YouTube footage of some of his biff too; one involves Peter Kelly at a scrum when Kelly played for Penrith.

1st game I remember going to was Souths vs Easts at Redfern Oval. Pretty sure it was 1983 & Chooks won 34-10. Don't recall much else as I was pretty young.

In 1986 I again saw Souths vs Easts at Redfern, & Souths won 8-6. I remember clearly Gary Wurth being concussed or dazed after Harrington ran over him for a try.

Leave a comment:

• horrie hastings
    replied
    Originally posted by Parkway_Drive View Post

I used to also love watching players like Les Davidson, Blocker, Kurt Sorensen, Randall, Ayliffe, etc go off
    Les Davidson broke Rod Silva's jaw with a cheap late shot, could never stand the bloke after that and didn't really like him before that either, saw him on a episode of ET's fishing show not long ago, looked like an old fat over weight thug.

Leave a comment:

• Parkway_Drive
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

It was out of control Brawler.
    Wests were a farkin mean team.

Some of my earliest memories are of players like Dallas, Tommy, Bruiser, Les Boyd, Bob Cooper, Grahame O'Gradey, Don Mosely etc they were fair dinkum lunatics.

Terry Lamb served his apprenticeship there and he was the king of the cheap shot later in his career.

Warren Boland must have taken over as captain after Tommy went to the Bluebags as he would have been the only one who knew the bloody rules lol.

I used to also love watching players like Les Davidson, Blocker, Kurt Sorensen, Randall, Ayliffe, etc go off
    Last edited by Parkway_Drive; 06-21-2017, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mickie Lane
    replied
    Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post

A bit before my time but it sounds like good times.
    It was out of control Brawler.
    Wests were a farkin mean team.

Leave a comment:

• 4 the all in brawl
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

I used to go to Lidcombe with my dad when the Chooks played West.
    Man was it tribal.
    I remember Johnny Mayes who was my favourite player (pre Horrie) getting smashed at Lidcombe oval taking the ball from a kick off. I think it was then that I realised just how rough & tough Rugby League was.
    It was brutal & if the game wasnt televised so no cameras & a player committed fowl play on another player & the ref & touchies missed it there was no consequence except maybe the square up.
    A bit before my time but it sounds like good times.

Leave a comment:

• Mickie Lane
    replied
    Originally posted by Frozen Chook View Post
    Amco Cup, my dad, used to take us pretty much every week - we lived half an hour train ride + 20 min walk - less than 10-minute run. As it was a delayed telecast, we would run up the railways steps and home to catch the last few minutes of the TV broadcast with us as kids running onto the field for the corner post and the centre of the field to get a run on TV when we got home.

Loved the Sportsground and the Turner Stand - lots of favourite suburban grounds Henson, Leichhardt and my favourite Lidcombe.

Watch the whole video even though it's not an Easts game but this was Lidcombe atmosphere where they would let the kids sit on the cycle track when it was full - which we loved.

Can't stop laughing at Rex Mossop's reaction at the end - We all thought Rex was a d1ckhead even as little kids

Cool music as the theme though
    I used to go to Lidcombe with my dad when the Chooks played West.
    Man was it tribal.
    I remember Johnny Mayes who was my favourite player (pre Horrie) getting smashed at Lidcombe oval taking the ball from a kick off. I think it was then that I realised just how rough & tough Rugby League was.
    It was brutal & if the game wasnt televised so no cameras & a player committed fowl play on another player & the ref & touchies missed it there was no consequence except maybe the square up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X