Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first Roosters game you attended?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    growing up about 200 metres from the sports ground i remember sneaking in at half time in 1964 easts were playing newtown and it was avery tough game i remember john mathews in the centre? kevin junee at halfback, maybe ron saddler in the centre asa well?

    Comment


    • #32
      The first game I watched the Roosters live I drove down from Brisbane to watch the 1987 Sharks game at Henson Park that we won by two with a late Slippery Morris try and a David Smith conversion. That was a ripper of a game that had a bit of everything, some niggle, a sendoff, some great tries and a grandstand finish. I remember there was a bit of rain around and this annoying Sharkies grandma in front of me kept waving her Sharks umbrella around in front of my face, nearly taking my eye out!

      Comment


      • #33
        Amco Cup, my dad, used to take us pretty much every week - we lived half an hour train ride + 20 min walk - less than 10-minute run. As it was a delayed telecast, we would run up the railways steps and home to catch the last few minutes of the TV broadcast with us as kids running onto the field for the corner post and the centre of the field to get a run on TV when we got home.

        Loved the Sportsground and the Turner Stand - lots of favourite suburban grounds Henson, Leichhardt and my favourite Lidcombe.



        Watch the whole video even though it's not an Easts game but this was Lidcombe atmosphere where they would let the kids sit on the cycle track when it was full - which we loved.

        Can't stop laughing at Rex Mossop's reaction at the end - We all thought Rex was a d1ckhead even as little kids

        Cool music as the theme though

        Comment


        • #34
          Maybe somebody can identify the game? It was in 1997 or 1998. The Roosters played the Sharks at the SFS.

          We were down early on and had an awesome comeback victory.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ism22 View Post
            Maybe somebody can identify the game? It was in 1997 or 1998. The Roosters played the Sharks at the SFS.

            We were down early on and had an awesome comeback victory.

            It would have had to been 1998 mate as in 1997 the Sharks played in the Super League Comp.

            I cannot remember it very clearly as 1998 was a blurry time for me with a new born child in the house but I got this from the Rugby League Project.

            Match info page for the Sydney City Roosters vs. Cronulla Sutherland Sharks game in Round 14 of the 1998 NRL season. Roosters won 18 to 14 at Sydney Football Stadium.
            Originally posted by The Axe View Post
            Very easy to understand Zac so I'll spell it out. Bondi Boy wants Menzies to reincarnate and run the labour party.
            Meanwhile ISM is out looking for Harold Holt and a dingo with a snorkel an digging holes in Griffith wearing an Al Grassby tie

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Guest View Post
              1980 GF Easts v Dogs. It was my first ever Sydney live game. I was 8yo and didn't really support a team. My dad gave me 5 bucks to buy a flag and I chose an Easts one as it was more colourful than the Dogs one....and I've been a Chook ever since.
              I was down on the fence in front of the MA Noble stand, that Steve Gearin try happened right in front of me.

              Good choice obviously, if I bought the other flag I'd probably be one of those wankers in the kennel.
              it was $5 for the Grand final Ticket that year- Dogs had 14 players- Interesting to note the Golden Bulldog for player of the match went to Hollywood- penalised us out of the game

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post
                v St George, semi final at the SCG in 1977. Beetson sent off after elbowing Ted Goodwin in the head. We lost 19-14.
                when Artie was sent off Goodwin jumped back up on his feet like nothing had happened

                Comment


                • #38
                  First game - Easts v Balmain at Leichhardt Oval, probably 1973.
                  We were sitting in front of the Balmain players' wives and girlfriends, hearing language from one of them that would make a wharfie blush.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    1987 v Manly at Brookvale Oval.
                    We lost 26-18 I think. Anzac Day.
                    Cliff Lyons sent off.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                      1987 v Manly at Brookvale Oval.
                      We lost 26-18 I think. Anzac Day.
                      Cliff Lyons sent off.
                      Yep East lost, score was 18-10 to Manly , Cliff Lyons did get sent off, he either dropped an elbow or head butted Trevor Gillmeister when Gilly held onto to Cliffys jumper to long in a tackle, I remember it happening but my memory is hazy whether it was an elbow or head butt.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Frozen Chook View Post
                        Amco Cup, my dad, used to take us pretty much every week - we lived half an hour train ride + 20 min walk - less than 10-minute run. As it was a delayed telecast, we would run up the railways steps and home to catch the last few minutes of the TV broadcast with us as kids running onto the field for the corner post and the centre of the field to get a run on TV when we got home.

                        Loved the Sportsground and the Turner Stand - lots of favourite suburban grounds Henson, Leichhardt and my favourite Lidcombe.



                        Watch the whole video even though it's not an Easts game but this was Lidcombe atmosphere where they would let the kids sit on the cycle track when it was full - which we loved.

                        Can't stop laughing at Rex Mossop's reaction at the end - We all thought Rex was a d1ckhead even as little kids

                        Cool music as the theme though
                        ​Nice Bloke Rex Mossop I recall - we used to get there early when 7 were setting up and talk to Barry Ross and Rex when it was a televised Roosters game- I think his main concern was kids being hurt -as the game you have posted hadn't finished when the kids were almost on the ground-don't think players liked it either as who knows what someone would/could do to player(s)/Ref etc.
                        Last edited by King Salvo; 06-10-2017, 07:19 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Frozen Chook View Post
                          Amco Cup, my dad, used to take us pretty much every week - we lived half an hour train ride + 20 min walk - less than 10-minute run. As it was a delayed telecast, we would run up the railways steps and home to catch the last few minutes of the TV broadcast with us as kids running onto the field for the corner post and the centre of the field to get a run on TV when we got home.

                          Loved the Sportsground and the Turner Stand - lots of favourite suburban grounds Henson, Leichhardt and my favourite Lidcombe.



                          Watch the whole video even though it's not an Easts game but this was Lidcombe atmosphere where they would let the kids sit on the cycle track when it was full - which we loved.

                          Can't stop laughing at Rex Mossop's reaction at the end - We all thought Rex was a d1ckhead even as little kids

                          Cool music as the theme though
                          I used to go to Lidcombe with my dad when the Chooks played West.
                          Man was it tribal.
                          I remember Johnny Mayes who was my favourite player (pre Horrie) getting smashed at Lidcombe oval taking the ball from a kick off. I think it was then that I realised just how rough & tough Rugby League was.
                          It was brutal & if the game wasnt televised so no cameras & a player committed fowl play on another player & the ref & touchies missed it there was no consequence except maybe the square up.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

                            I used to go to Lidcombe with my dad when the Chooks played West.
                            Man was it tribal.
                            I remember Johnny Mayes who was my favourite player (pre Horrie) getting smashed at Lidcombe oval taking the ball from a kick off. I think it was then that I realised just how rough & tough Rugby League was.
                            It was brutal & if the game wasnt televised so no cameras & a player committed fowl play on another player & the ref & touchies missed it there was no consequence except maybe the square up.
                            A bit before my time but it sounds like good times.
                            Originally posted by The Axe View Post
                            Very easy to understand Zac so I'll spell it out. Bondi Boy wants Menzies to reincarnate and run the labour party.
                            Meanwhile ISM is out looking for Harold Holt and a dingo with a snorkel an digging holes in Griffith wearing an Al Grassby tie

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by 4 the all in brawl View Post

                              A bit before my time but it sounds like good times.
                              It was out of control Brawler.
                              Wests were a farkin mean team.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

                                It was out of control Brawler.
                                Wests were a farkin mean team.

                                Some of my earliest memories are of players like Dallas, Tommy, Bruiser, Les Boyd, Bob Cooper, Grahame O'Gradey, Don Mosely etc they were fair dinkum lunatics.

                                Terry Lamb served his apprenticeship there and he was the king of the cheap shot later in his career.

                                Warren Boland must have taken over as captain after Tommy went to the Bluebags as he would have been the only one who knew the bloody rules lol.

                                I used to also love watching players like Les Davidson, Blocker, Kurt Sorensen, Randall, Ayliffe, etc go off
                                Last edited by Parkway_Drive; 06-21-2017, 05:58 PM.
                                Originally posted by boogie

                                "There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X