Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first Roosters game you attended?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks hawkeye, it must have been before 67 because I remember rocking up every week with my family when we couldn't jag a win, that was 66? in 67 with jack Gibson we got to the semis, I must have been thinking of bunny from later on, a do remember kevin Ashley, jim mayhew? our hooker? couldn't win a scrum in 67 but we constantly won penalty counts!was it muscat? perhqaps louis newman might have been in the team too, larpa stewart was playing 3rd grade in those days? cliff boyd was a player?

Comment

No idea. My dad started taking me with him to games when I was 4 so it would have been in 1970, I would have paid no attention to the game.

Comment

v St George, semi final at the SCG in 1977. Beetson sent off after elbowing Ted Goodwin in the head. We lost 19-14.

Comment

The year was 1984 roosters v Panthers at Sydney Sportsground.My old man took me to my first East's game I was obsessed over Gary Wurth.,but strangely enough it was a young Greg Alexander that stole the show and forever stuck in my mind. A kick over the top with no fullback home (where was G.W?) With the ball half stuck in the mud, Brandy seemingly without decelerating plucked the ball with one hand raced over to score effortlessly.Funny how somethings stick in your mind like that

Comment

Originally posted by liver1971 View Post
            The year was 1984 roosters v Panthers at Sydney Sportsground.My old man took me to my first East's game I was obsessed over Gary Wurth.,but strangely enough it was a young Greg Alexander that stole the show and forever stuck in my mind. A kick over the top with no fullback home (where was G.W?) With the ball half stuck in the mud, Brandy seemingly without decelerating plucked the ball with one hand raced over to score effortlessly.Funny how somethings stick in your mind like that
            Graeme Atkins was fullback that day for the Roosters, Garry Wurth didn't play in that game.

Here is the stats from the East vs Penrith game at the Sports Ground in 1984

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/game...406170919.html

Think the game you are thinking about was East vs Penrith at the Sports Ground in 1985, we had to win to possibly jag 5th spot but got flogged .

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/game...508310919.html

Comment

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post

Graeme Atkins was fullback that day for the Roosters, Garry Wurth didn't play in that game.

Here is the stats from the East vs Penrith game at the Sports Ground in 1984

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/game...406170919.html

Think the game you are thinking about was East vs Penrith at the Sports Ground in 1985, we had to win to possibly jag 5th spot but got flogged .

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/game...508310919.html
              Thank you for clarifying that

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                I lived very close to the sports ground saw the gates opened at half time so I wandered in sat on the hill enjoyed the second half, I think it was about 1965? in the team were jimmy Mathews captain and centre, johny peard 5/8 kevin junee half, bunny riley lock, I came back next sunday went in again after half time, the week after I convinced my parents to take me to the whole game, been hooked ever since! that was 49 years ago! how time flies?

My first Tricolours experience was about that time as well. Certainly it was 1965, however Easts didn't provided too many memorable highlights back then. From this far out, my memory is of a 1966 game against Manly at the Sports Ground. We watched Manly score 53 points. Supposedly, Bert Holcroft made the team do 53 laps of the ground when they arrived for training on the following Tuesday night.

Comment

A much more enjoyable game comes to mind from 1967. Easts actually won a game in the pre season comp against Parramatta and I think in the 3rd round of the comp, had a draw against Newtown. The game in question was against North's at the Sports Ground with a fairly small crowd in attendance. Among other players, Norths boasted a hot back line including, George Ambrum, Dinny O'Brien and the great Ken Irvine. Against all expectations, the recently re badged Roosters bettered the Bears, winning 17-11. I was there with my Dad and Grand Dad. After the game it was like Easts had won the GF. The crowd rushed onto the field, as was the way back then at the end of games, then many of us followed the players into the dressing shed to continue the celebrations. Euphoria permeated the ground. The first win since early 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post
                    v St George, semi final at the SCG in 1977. Beetson sent off after elbowing Ted Goodwin in the head. We lost 19-14.
                    http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/197799.html#0920

That was my first game too. We had come down to Sydney for the State Schoolboy Championships that were held at Moore Park every year and stayed on till the Saturday and went to the footy. Dad and I were both roosters fans but left the ground sadly disappointed that day. My next Roosters game was at Seiffert Oval in 1983 and we suffered a similar fate.

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/game...308070509.html

Comment

My uncle took us to the game when that Braith got smashed inn the chops by the fella from Souths and Our fella's beat em good. Fred was coach at that time

Comment

First game ever was the 2000 Roosters v Broncos grand final.
                        Just released Mayday for iOS and Android! Download it for your iPhone / iPad OR for your Android Phone / Tablet

Comment

All I can remember was giving Artie a pat on the back as he left the ground, and stealing a corner post.
                          The ground was pretty much mud.
                          No idea who we played, but we won.

Comment

It was early in 1974 and we smashed Penrith at the Sports Ground 30 nil or so

I remember it because Greg Bandiera scored for us and he was our next door neighbour

Comment

Couldnt tell you what game. But i was 6 years old. Game in sydney. With my grandfather and father. Dont even know if we won. But highlight was running down the front to shake the giant rooster mascots " wing"

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/197799.html#0920

That was my first game too. We had come down to Sydney for the State Schoolboy Championships that were held at Moore Park every year and stayed on till the Saturday and went to the footy. Dad and I were both roosters fans but left the ground sadly disappointed that day. My next Roosters game was at Seiffert Oval in 1983 and we suffered a similar fate.

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/game...308070509.html
                                I still remember the "Changa" chant going up towards fulltime, even though he'd retired the previous season! "Chaaaaanga ... Chaaaaaaaga ..."

Comment

Working...
                                X