Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your first Roosters game you attended?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first Roosters game you attended?

Mine was a miserable wet day verses the Eels at Cumberland oval. I think it was 1981....Eric Grothe scored or nearly scored a near length of the field try against us...Im sure Horrie had a good game. I was that young I cannot remember whether we actually won.
    Originally posted by boogie

"There's a lot of people competing for title of dumbest chookpen member such as Tommy S, Rusty, Johnny, ROC, Tobin but without a doubt you are the worst, youre thick as a brick christ this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time you should go back to supporting the panthers"

I lived very close to the sports ground saw the gates opened at half time so I wandered in sat on the hill enjoyed the second half, I think it was about 1965? in the team were jimmy Mathews captain and centre, johny peard 5/8 kevin junee half, bunny riley lock, I came back next sunday went in again after half time, the week after I convinced my parents to take me to the whole game, been hooked ever since! that was 49 years ago! how time flies?
    Last edited by stephenj; 09-17-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Parkway_Drive View Post
      Mine was a miserable wet day verses the Eels at Cumberland oval. I think it was 1981....Eric Grothe scored or nearly scored a near length of the field try against us...Im sure Horrie had a good game. I was that young I cannot remember whether we actually won.
      1981 East beat Parra 15-7 at Cumberland , the match was famous for the ghostly pic of Paul Taylor standing in the fog, also Greg Hartley awarding East a penalty try to Robert Laurie, it was also a milestone match for Mick Cronin points wise, I remember him kicking for goal and I think it bought up a 1,000 pts for him.

Comment

Mine could have been anytime between 1966-69, like stephenj I lived very close to the Sport Ground and went with my father when I was very young but didn't really watch the games then, used to just play on the hill.

Comment

Roosters -Manly @ Sydney Sports Ground, around 1973, i was around 12 years old ,We lived in Brisbane and my dad had to move to Sydney back then with his work, he took the whole family {Mum, my 2 olders sisters and my younger brother, }My Dad said to us pick a side to follow, so Me my Mum and 1 of my sisters went for the Roosters and the other 3 went for Manly , and that's the way it's always stayed. Had some great family blews over the years when Roosters played Manly all sitting in the lounge room watching the tiny Rank arena tv..loll...oh take me back !!!

Comment

1980 GF Easts v Dogs. It was my first ever Sydney live game. I was 8yo and didn't really support a team. My dad gave me 5 bucks to buy a flag and I chose an Easts one as it was more colourful than the Dogs one....and I've been a Chook ever since.
            I was down on the fence in front of the MA Noble stand, that Steve Gearin try happened right in front of me.

Good choice obviously, if I bought the other flag I'd probably be one of those wankers in the kennel.

Comment

2003 Tigers v Roosters in campbelltown. I was 7 years old and I only started following them after watching the GF in '02 with my dad who is a mad Chooks fan. I remember we were hit with injuries/origin committments that day and we lost 30-22 as a result. Freddy was the first choice kicker and some lunatic fan who sat in the seat in front of me was abusing him all afternoon. Typical wanker from that area of the world

Comment

Originally posted by horrie hastings View Post
                1981 East beat Parra 15-7 at Cumberland , the match was famous for the ghostly pic of Paul Taylor standing in the fog, also Greg Hartley awarding East a penalty try to Robert Laurie, it was also a milestone match for Mick Cronin points wise, I remember him kicking for goal and I think it bought up a 1,000 pts for him.
                Funny, that was mine as well. Had just moved to Parra from the bush. Crusher Cleal, Rocky Laurie and John Harvey got the meat pies. Stumpy Stevens had moved to Parra during the off season. If the photo of Squizzy Taylor is the one post match of him covered in mud looking half dead after making 51 tackles (I think it was 51, I vaguely remember it from RLW) then it is still hanging on the wall at Parra Leagues Club...

Comment

Amco cup at Leichartd..

Comment

1966 against the blue bags at the sports ground

Comment

1987 Roosters v Manly at Brookvale.

Comment

My first memory was an Amco cup game against Saints at Leichhardt oval in the late 70's could've even been a final from memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                          1987 Roosters v Manly at Brookvale.
                          It was really great i just watch it on http://youtube.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                            I lived very close to the sports ground saw the gates opened at half time so I wandered in sat on the hill enjoyed the second half, I think it was about 1965? in the team were jimmy Mathews captain and centre, johny peard 5/8 kevin junee half, bunny riley lock, I came back next sunday went in again after half time, the week after I convinced my parents to take me to the whole game, been hooked ever since! that was 49 years ago! how time flies?
                            When it's so long ago, it's always easier to remember players rather than actual years. Bunny Reilly's debut year was 1967, Jack Gibson made Jimmy Mathews captain when he took over as coach (1967) .... so I'm guessing maybe that was your year.

For me I'm unsure if it was 66 or 67. It was Easts v Souths at the Sports Ground.
                            All I can remember of the game was that we kicked a field goal (western end of the ground) just before half time to lead 4-2 at the break. Everyone around me in the crowd were so optimistic at half time that we were actually a chance of winning at a time when we didn't win too many games.
                            Anyway the early version of the Vermin, ran away with it in the second half.

Whilst my memory of the game is a bit hazey ....I do clearly remember my father going crook on the way home and tearing strips off the coach and players.
                            That was when I learned good footy phrases such as "couldn't coach pigs to be dirty" "weak as p!ss" ....oh yeah and the timeless "fcuken sh!thouse"
                            ..come to think of it, based on that it was probably 66 ...we were much better in 67 under Gibbo !
                            Last edited by Hawkeye; 12-28-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

First Rooster game I attended was with Dad back in 2004 when he paid for me to come over from Omaru on Anzac Day in 2004 to watch the Roosters and Dragons battle it out on ANZAC day. Those of you who don't know Dad...well he was and still is a staunch Dragons supporter. I decided to go for the Roosters and boy o boy I was glad I was. I actually got to see the Bro' Fittler in his last season and score a mesmerizing solo try that day. Til this day Freddy Fittler is my all time favourite Rooster and I feel privileged to have watched that game as my first Roosters and NRL game.

Needless to say Dad was really pissed off at the end of the game but lil SoS went back to NZ a very happy lil Rooster bro'.

Comment

Working...
                              X