Can Smiddy get an early release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the tele

Smith, meanwhile, insisted he was committed to the Storm in 2022. That commitment, however, may not be reciprocated given the backlash to Smith’s comments about the club’s drinking culture.

While chief executive Justin Rodski issued a statement in which he acknowledged Smith’s willingness to play for the club in 2022, sources close to the situation insist fences need to be mended before that can happen.

News Corp understands that is far from a fait accompli that Smith will remain at the Storm in 2022 given the level of anger and antipathy towards the New Zealand Test hooker.

In particular, meetings with Tripp and Bellamy – most likely over the weekend – will decide whether Smith will be given the chance to spend a final season at the Storm.

There are other factors to consider, most notably the salary cap and whether the Roosters would be willing and able to take Smith a year in advance.

Regardless, he still has work to do to convince key figures in Melbourne that he deserves to pull on the purple jumper again. He must also find a way to repair his relationship with his teammates and his reputation with the club’s fans, who have been scathing in their criticism of Smith.

Storm officials were of the understanding that they would get one last shot to convince Smith to stay, adding to their frustration with the way his negotiations have been handled. Their disappointment was mirrored at the Dolphins – they were of the belief that Smith had given them his word that he would join the new franchise in 2023.

Smith insisted he was committed to what remained of his future in Melbourne.

“My focus is now fully turned to the future with the Storm and all the amazing opportunities laid before me,” Smith said.

Comment

I reckon the Smith release is coming. How can you have a player playing for your club after what he said. No player is bigger than any club. They should and probably will boot him out of the door. If our player did that we would all want to throw him off The Gap in low tide.

Comment

Apparently the storm have tried to shop smith on a one year deal to the tigers for a player swap with Stefano.. which the tigers rejected

Comment

We become serious contenders if he comes across for 2022. It's that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by ChookMaster View Post
            Apparently the storm have tried to shop smith on a one year deal to the tigers for a player swap with Stefano.. which the tigers rejected
            I don't believe that. Smith would have to agree to it, and I doubt he would play for any other team unless it was the Roosters.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

I don't believe that. Smith would have to agree to it, and I doubt he would play for any other team unless it was the Roosters.
              There's been news reports that he has been shopped to the tigers, definitely true, but whether he agreed who knows.
              But if they're shopping him around, I wonder why we're not jumping onto getting him a year early? Wonder if it's salary cap pressures... or if they refuse to give him to us knowing full well that we'll destroy them come 2022 if they do lol

Storm POV: Give him to the tigers, he can't do damage to us, give him to the roosters, they'll ruin us...

Comment

Originally posted by itsdan View Post

There's been news reports that he has been shopped to the tigers, definitely true, but whether he agreed who knows.
                But if they're shopping him around, I wonder why we're not jumping onto getting him a year early? Wonder if it's salary cap pressures... or if they refuse to give him to us knowing full well that we'll destroy them come 2022 if they do lol

Storm POV: Give him to the tigers, he can't do damage to us, give him to the roosters, they'll ruin us...
                There is an article in the SMH about it. Storm can try it on but I doubt Smith will want a bar of it.

Comment

Smith was walking through Bondi Junction Westfield this morning and did not look happy at all, maybe he knew he was being shopped around. Didn’t realise what a unit this kid is, if I wasn’t pumped before I certainly am now. Hope he is here for 22.

Comment

Would really like to know if there's any suggestion or any thoughts at all inside Roosters HQ of bringing him in for 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post
                      We become serious contenders if he comes across for 2022. It's that simple.
                      And we aren’t without him?

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

I think he would definitely have to agree. He signed a contract to play with Melbourne.

Going to Tigers would be a huge punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by itsdan View Post
                          Would really like to know if there's any suggestion or any thoughts at all inside Roosters HQ of bringing him in for 2022.
                          Nick told me he's in the USA on a business trip but when he's back, he'll be pulling all sorts of strings to get him released. The Tattersalls (and borders) are open again, so we'll get to catch-up soon. Sure he'll spill the goss when I pull out the wines (the stuff that doesn't taste like crap afterwards - something I'll have to have a word to Robbo about BTW... sounds like him and Smiddy tapped my stash without asking... naughty boys).

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Nick told me he's in the USA on a business trip but when he's back, he'll be pulling all sorts of strings to get him released. The Tattersalls (and borders) are open again, so we'll get to catch-up soon. Sure he'll spill the goss when I pull out the wines (the stuff that doesn't taste like crap afterwards - something I'll have to have a word to Robbo about BTW... sounds like him and Smiddy tapped my stash without asking... naughty boys).
                            Rubbish. Nick was at Showgirls at The Cross last night. I saw him. He was wearing a Rooster tie too.

Comment

So...... Melbourne offering him to the tigers next year?

WTF?

Comment

Release seems inevitable... Storm will try exhaust all options other than Roosters first though.

Comment

Working...
                                X