Origin women to be paid the same as men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin women to be paid the same as men

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equity and fairness for the ladies in general but this one doesn't sit right with me. The women's origin game probably attracts less than 10% of the revenue the blokes game brings in so how is this fair? I'd much rather that money go into grassroots football or even growing the NRLW.

Listen to Ronda Rousey who spoke some common sense on the topic -> https://youtu.be/w5xRHz8Su6E

Thoughts peeps?
    Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Fair enough Rastaman to a point. How about 10% (at least) of the revenue the money the men earn also goes to grassroots football or even growing the NRLW. Seriously the men are overpaid for what one should be proud to represent there state. Meanwhile they miss several club games which is detrimental to the clubs in question without foregoing their salary from a club point of view.

SOO in my opinion is over rated and is nothing but a distraction halfway during the season. Seriously hard draw for the Roosters come Origin time with players potentially missing but no surprise there.
    "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Comment

Women shouldn’t be playing Rugby League, it’s a mans sport, it’s gladiatorial. I prefer women playing tennis, beach volleyball & dancing no gladiatorial stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post
        Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equity and fairness for the ladies in general but this one doesn't sit right with me. The women's origin game probably attracts less than 10% of the revenue the blokes game brings in so how is this fair? I'd much rather that money go into grassroots football or even growing the NRLW.

Listen to Ronda Rousey who spoke some common sense on the topic -> https://youtu.be/w5xRHz8Su6E

Thoughts peeps?
        100%. Its just political correctness and if you question it people will question you. I want the world to be fair for women but apart from players and their families is there any real interest in Origin for Women. They could not fill Henson Park imo.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
          Fair enough Rastaman to a point. How about 10% (at least) of the revenue the money the men earn also goes to grassroots football or even growing the NRLW. Seriously the men are overpaid for what one should be proud to represent there state. Meanwhile they miss several club games which is detrimental to the clubs in question without foregoing their salary from a club point of view.

SOO in my opinion is over rated and is nothing but a distraction halfway during the season. Seriously hard draw for the Roosters come Origin time with players potentially missing but no surprise there.
          I don't think it is that much money the men are paid. Is it 90K for a series? After taxes and expenses it is not a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
            Women shouldn’t be playing Rugby League, it’s a mans sport, it’s gladiatorial. I prefer women playing tennis, beach volleyball & dancing no gladiatorial stuff.
            Lingerie League in the US, not sure if it still exists

Comment

Meh. I think it’s fine.

Men who play Origin would be on a decent wicket, even without it. Let’s say you’re an average Origin player - say you earn 500k p/a with your club - and that’s for 6 months’ work and all. Then you get your 90k for Origin, plus 3rd party income.

If the NRL can afford to reward women who put their shit on the line, then fair play.
              Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post
                Meh. I think it’s fine.

Men who play Origin would be on a decent wicket, even without it. Let’s say you’re an average Origin player - say you earn 500k p/a with your club - and that’s for 6 months’ work and all. Then you get your 90k for Origin, plus 3rd party income.

If the NRL can afford to reward women who put their shit on the line, then fair play.
                Would you be happy if your junior colleague got paid the same amount as you just cause you are earning good money?
                Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Not really a problem. Origin payments are match fees are they not? So it is up to the QRL (who are the only state to do this, as far as I can see NSW have not taken up the same initiative) to decide what the fees are. Of course they are doing it for good PR, but it is still hardly a bad thing that there is equity in pay for rep teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosterfarian View Post

Would you be happy if your junior colleague got paid the same amount as you just cause you are earning good money?
                    If I earned 8 times the amount of that Junior, but for one additional project we got the same (with me still finishing the year with 8x them), yeah I reckon I’d be ok with that.
                    Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Joke

Comment

The men get paid what they get paid because of the revenue they generate in terms of Origin broadcast fees and Origin ticket sales. To pay the women the same when they generate only a miniscule fraction of revenue is embarrassing tokenistic nonsense.

Comment

Meh. I think it’s fine.

Yeah all the revenue comes from Fox & Nine anyway, so it's one bucket of money.

Whadda you earn per Origin game? $20-30k or something per game? Out of a $1b deal they're throwing a few token dollars at the women (which will go a long way).

I totally get it that the men's game is more professional. However, the men already get paid a LOT more. IMO this will simply make it viable for the top-shelf female players to devote themselves to the game full-time. I'm all for that as it's a way of improving the quality of the sport without rushing out 17 full women's teams with equal salaries being paid (which would be a bust because they need to build-up the women's sport gradually).
                          Last edited by ism22; 11-19-2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

If they could entertain like the men I’d be all for it. But realistically I would rather watch my synthetic grass grow than watch women attempt to play rugby league.

If the women looked like this I’d say cancel the men’s game and I’d be happy to watch the women only.

https://youtu.be/xxK-AguBHAQ

Comment

If I earned 8 times the amount of that Junior, but for one additional project we got the same (with me still finishing the year with 8x them), yeah I reckon I’d be ok with that.
                              Wow,your lefty missus really has her stilletos well and truly implanted into your ballsack Salvatori. I pay 168 people at the moment, 142 contractors and 26 as employees. 4th hihest earner on close to 300k is a female,lowest is also a girl on around 16k who does 6 hrs a week.To pay the girls the same when they generate a 10th of the income is just Pc bullshit and u know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X