Roosters take punt on Silktails back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters take punt on Silktails back

The Sydney Roosters are set to bring Kaiviti Silktails outside back Vuate Karawalevu into their squad for the 2022 NRL season.

The Fijian will bring with him one of the best stories in rugby league, having played in the Ron Massey Cup for the Silktails in 2020 and 2021.

The push to have the Pacific Islands included in Australian and New Zealand activities with tin the sport has been gathering momentum over the past handful of years, with the Papua New Guinea Hunters in the Queensland Cup, and a long-term plan for the Silktails to eventually enter the New South Wales Cup.

It comes as the Silktails continue to improve infrastructure for the sport in Fiji.

Karawalevu will spend two weeks in quarantine before linking up with Trent Robinson's Roosters, and while the outside back is unlikely to push for an NRL spot anytime soon, training with the Roosters will enable him to continue developing.

he youngster was a rugby union prodigy, having been selected in Fiji's extended 2019 Rugby World Cup squad before choosing rugby league as his long-term option.

Silktails executive director Stephen Driscoll reportedly had Karawalevu meet with Wes Naiqama (coach) and chairman Petero Civoniceva in convincing him to play the 13-man game, with an eye to playing for the Roosters, who had him as part of their Jersey Flegg Cup side this season, where he scored five tries in 2021.

The Roosters expect him to continue playing in the under-age competition this season.

“He has size, speed and strength,” Driscoll said.

“He’s mature and dedicated. And he’s such a good person to boot. That’s what is going to help him turn from a good player to a great player.”

> Silktails executive director Stephen Driscoll reportedly had Karawalevu meet with Wes Naiqama (coach) and chairman Petero Civonicevain convincing him to play the 13-man game, with an eye to playing for the Roosters, who had him as part of their Jersey Flegg Cup side this season, where he scored five tries in 2021.

Hang, so Civoniceva's helping to feed players into our systems? Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
      > Silktails executive director Stephen Driscoll reportedly had Karawalevu meet with Wes Naiqama (coach) and chairman Petero Civonicevain convincing him to play the 13-man game, with an eye to playing for the Roosters, who had him as part of their Jersey Flegg Cup side this season, where he scored five tries in 2021.

Hang, so Civoniceva's helping to feed players into our systems? Interesting!
      I assume Civo would be happy to get a fellow Fijian a start at any club.

Comment

So the guy's 20, 193cm, 99kg and from Suva? (Bio at: https://rakaviti.com/players/vuate-karawalevu/)

Be interesting to see how he goes, particularly in the context of us signing Momirovski. What's our possible squad now?
        1. Teddy
        2. Toops
        3. Suaalii / Momirovski / Smith
        4. Manu
        5. Ikuvalu / Karawalevu

I think the sheer size and athleticism would be intimidating if we had...
        1. Teddy
        2. Toops
        3. Suaalii
        4. Manu
        5. Karawalevu

(All ~193cm+ and athletic, aside from Teddy).
        Last edited by ism22; 10-22-2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
          So the guy's 20, 193cm, 99kg and from Suva? (Bio at: https://rakaviti.com/players/vuate-karawalevu/)

Be interesting to see how he goes, particularly in the context of us signing Momirovski. What's our possible squad now?
          1. Teddy
          2. Toops
          3. Suaalii / Momirovski / Smith
          4. Manu
          5. Ikuvalu / Karawalevu

I think the sheer size and athleticism would be intimidating if we had...
          1. Teddy
          2. Toops
          3. Suaalii
          4. Manu
          5. Karawalevu

(All ~193cm+ and athletic, aside from Teddy).
          I'd love to see option 2 run out in rd 1

I dare say though it will probably be Manu and Momirovski in the centres with Toops and JS on the wings

Comment

NSWRL have an article about him and state they expect him to play jersey flegg and a bit of NSW cup. given hes only played a handful of rugby league games in his life, i dont see he will play many if any first grade games next season

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterFanNZ View Post
              NSWRL have an article about him and state they expect him to play jersey flegg and a bit of NSW cup. given hes only played a handful of rugby league games in his life, i dont see he will play many if any first grade games next season
              I'm excited to see how he goes for the Bears, he was 10x levels above playing against kids in Flegg

Comment

It is a punt & hopefully it pays off with a Semi Radradra clone.

Comment

I know it's only Flegg and highlights videos can make a lot of kids look better than they are, but my God he looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                    It is a punt & hopefully it pays off with a Semi Radradra clone.
                    He looks more like a Noa Nadruku type of Player

Comment

Size, speed, and strength.
                      Yes please.

He should fit into my "big is better" team nicely, when he's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi.boy View Post
                        Size, speed, and strength.
                        Yes please.

He should fit into my "big is better" team nicely, when he's ready.
                        Do you have a tiny weener dude? This obsession with bigger is better is telling.

Comment

VK has to be a much better option than Fumbles,who has had chance after chance and continually stuffed up.

having a giant liability on the wing,is no way to help win a comp

Comment

Working...
                          X