Sydney Roosters "Mount Rushmore"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Original Stumpy View Post
    I'd be calling for our great wing-three-quarter Michael "Prince of the Precipice" Appleby to get a guernsey.
    Not ahead of Jordan Tansey.

Comment

I'd say Jack Gibson would be on the Mount Rushmore of S.P. bookies but that's just scuttlebutt. I'm still waiting for a visit from Stan the Man Smith myself.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

In reference to your reason for not Including BJG - You do know that Beetson played for Balmain (74 games) before coming to Easts (131 Games ) and also played for Parramatta (16 games) - Coached Easts in 2 and a bit stints -1977-1978 and 1985-1988 and a part one of 6 games in 1994 and Cronulla 1992-1993
        Have you considered the number of kids he discovered during his time and how many players he mentored or just the stats

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Chook View Post

That's your opinion, it's not fact. Same as in my opinion if you ask the average fan in the street, most will remember Gibson as the Parra coach with the fur coat, not some guy who took over the Roosters in 1966.
          BJG received plenty of airtime and praise as the Storm approached the record of 19 games and leading up to the week they were playing Parra to beat the record so i would say people would be aware of his coaching achievements at Easts prior to Parramatta

Comment

Leave room for Teddy

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
              I

Wouldn't consider Robbo as he's still cooking. Will create his own legacy, can understand why some of our newbies are enamoured with him though. Maybe gets his own impressive bust when he departs.
              I'm not a newbie at all.

Fact is, Robbo has already achieved more premierships than Jack ever did.

In addition, Robbo is a one-club man.

Comment

I cannot think of not having BJG alongside Artie in our top 4, however do we have to limit it to 4? Dally M and uncle Nick are shoe ins, as is Artie , so it comes down to a pool of BJG , Freddy and Robbo , and probably Teddy in about 5 years time after he had led us to another 2-3 premierships.

Comment

Originally posted by Steakface View Post

I'm not a newbie at all.

Fact is, Robbo has already achieved more premierships than Jack ever did.

In addition, Robbo is a one-club man.
                  Big Jack Gibson - 5 seasons - 2 Premierships (40% success rate) - 5 Finals appearances (100 %)

Trent Robinson - 9 seasons - 3 Premierships ( 33% success rate ) - 8 Finals appearances (89%)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post

Have you considered the number of kids he discovered during his time and how many players he mentored or just the stats
                    The poster was alluding to Big Jack Gibson not being a one club coach as a reason he shouldn't be one of the four but agreed that Beetson should be one of four although he was not a one club coach either having also coached the Sharks.

Comment

Robbo & Nick are two no question.
                      And then I would go Jake & Cords both as hard as rock.

Comment

Originally posted by IRoosterManI View Post
                        Dally M
                        Artie
                        Nick
                        Freddy

Freddy dragged us single handed from the gutter to a heavyweight team.. hard to leave Robbo out but everything the club is today was kick started by Freddy.
                        Freddy only happened because of Gould, so maybe he needs a spot on the mountain too?

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

The poster was alluding to Big Jack Gibson not being a one club coach as a reason he shouldn't be one of the four but agreed that Beetson should be one of four although he was not a one club coach either having also coached the Sharks.

I should clear up that playing (or coaching) elsewhere isnt a deal breaker - hence my inclusion of Artie.

But Jack coached 5 different clubs.

Robbo is a Rooster only, and has more prems than Jack and more wins than Jack.

This is not me hating on Jack either.

I just think Robbo is best candidate of the two for a Mt Rushmore scenario.
                          Last edited by Steakface; 09-20-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I think if there was such a thing as a Chooks "Mount Rushmore" you would need to have the main founder of the ESDRLFC plus Ronald Clifford Jones.

Without Jones the ESDRLFC and associated team would not exist as the League Club was on the verge of Bankruptcy and he created a club out of a hole in the ground at Bondi Junction that became a community and club industry show piece plus also restoring the associated rugby league team to it's previous lofting position in the game - The Leagues Club membership rose from 2000 to over 48,000 during his time.

No Jones no Easts and the area would then have been fully taken over by Souths and thus Ronald Clifford Jones must be on the Chooks "Mount Rushmore"

Last edited by King Salvo; 09-20-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Mount Rushmore: Dally M, Uncle Nick, Jack's Fur Coat, Big Artie.

Easts Immortals: Dave Brown, Ron Coote, Kevin Hastings, Freddy Fittler, Trent Robinson.

Hall of Fame: Mini, Teddy, Ricko, Fitzy, Tupou, Cords, Friend, Bruce Pickett.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Pickett View Post
                                Mount Rushmore: Dally M, Uncle Nick, Jack's Fur Coat, Big Artie.

Easts Immortals: Dave Brown, Ron Coote, Kevin Hastings, Freddy Fittler, Trent Robinson.

Hall of Fame: Mini, Teddy, Ricko, Fitzy, Tupou, Cords, Friend, Bruce Pickett.
                                I have so many people to thank...

Comment

Working...
                                X