No announcement yet.

Completions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our coach encourages attack..the teams fighting it out this week are blatantly copying our playboy.
    with all the ins and outs they have tended to lack timing and cohesion..no big deal..that will improve next year.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

I believe it’s how we train. I believe we speed train for speed not accuracy. This is reflected in every game with rushed passes and lack of focus on ball handling because all the focus is on speed. So we rush passes, rush play the balls and when tackled are still focused on speed not holding onto the ball. It is very concerning that Robbo seems incapable or unwilling to change our style of play to include better handling.
      “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

One other point is that a lot of our errors against Manly were by our senior players. Remember Crichton dropped the first tackle pass just outside their line? Even Teddy was dropping them. No excuses for these players. They’ve become complacent playing on reputation and not sticking to the basics. Bad ball handling gives possession over to the other team and then God only knows when we get it back.
        “Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead”- (Baha’u’llah)

Comment

According to Fox, the Panthers, Bulldogs and Sharks are all equal first for completion rate - 80%.
          Just goes to show its not the most important stat.
          Of the top 4 teams, Storm 79%, Panthers 80%, Souths 78% and Manly 76%.
          We come in dead last (surprise) at 75%.

There are more important things than completion, like defence and applying pressure. This is where we get it wrong. We werent apply to apply pressure because we kept dropping the ball, then we weren't able to defend it.

Comment

The only completion we have to worry about is the 2021 season
            ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
              We have been terrible at completions as long as I can remember but with the new rules making it so hard to get momentum back it’s a killer.
              IMO the balance is always that (for example) I'd prefer that we roll the dice from 30m out on the 3rd, do something exciting and have a crack at scoring (even if it's a fumble) rather than taking the 5 down the middle, doing a bomb and clocking up another 'completion'.

We're one of the best attacking teams in the comp, and have the tries on the board to prove it (even with 60% of the team missing). Better ball control is always nice and it's something I think we should always be looking to improve, but not at the cost of courage/creativity. 100% of the time I wanna see a roll of the dice (and early-tackle options being considered) over 'okay boys just hang onto the pill, do your 5, bomb and we'll have some oranges for you at half-time. I'd do that with a sloppy U13's team, not an elite attacking team.

Further... we always get penalised heavily (I hypothesise because we're very dynamic, so refs see 'tricks' and instantly think 'oh he musta cheated!!!' - we also have a pretty high success rate when it comes to overturning decisions for this reason). This is a separate matter but feeds into 'completions'. I think we're actively trying to work out why we are penalised so harshly.
              Last edited by ism22; 09-21-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

This year was unlike any other - not just the direct impact of key players missing but the number of times we had to successively field teams full of unready rookies. The biggest impact for us was cumulative fatigue and that explains a lot of our handling problems

super proud of what the squad achieved nonetheless. Go easts!!!!

Last edited by The ticket; 09-22-2021, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Interesting article about the issue of completions in the SMH.

One line stood out: statistically speaking "teams with higher completion rates tend to lose more often, while those who use the ball, win."

​​​​​​https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the...23-p58u3t.html

Comment

Working...
                  X