Marty Taupau - 2022?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rented tracksuit View Post

Why not? I dont recall him ever being in trouble. Did I forget something?

I actually reckon we missed the boat on him anyway. I would have been all barred up if he was to come here years ago instead of Manly.
    Only record I can find when searching for 'Taupau arrested' is him reporting racist bogans to the police after they were d!cks to him. His form might slumped or whatever but his team came 4th this year and he's still got a good reputation IMO.

Seem to remember people discussed the idea of signing him a while back when he was on the outer with the previous coach?

Meh I'd take him if Robbo thought he was a good fit and we could afford him. This would make our rumoured (fantasy) team...
    1. Teddy
    2. Toops
    3. Smith / Keighran
    4. Manu
    5. Suaalii
    6. Walker
    7. Keary
    8. JWH
    9. Brandon Smith (sorry Joey)
    10. Collins
    11. Crichton
    12. Sims
    13. Radley

14. Taupau
    15. SST
    16. Sitili
    17. Watson

Comment

Supposedly Manly are trying to sign Luke Garner from Wests Tigers so have to move him on - a Possible swap deal since both are under contract with their respective clubs till 2022.

Comment

Will be 32 next year. Last contract, so I'd say he will chase decent coin. Tigers will pay overs again.

Comment

They always seem to want to be moving him on.

Comment

Tapau would have been great timing as a replacement for JWHs retirement, which is likely to be 2023.

But that timing ain't going to work at all. He'll be too old by then himself.

Too expensive in the interim.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Only record I can find when searching for 'Taupau arrested' is him reporting racist bogans to the police after they were d!cks to him. His form might slumped or whatever but his team came 4th this year and he's still got a good reputation IMO.

Seem to remember people discussed the idea of signing him a while back when he was on the outer with the previous coach?

Meh I'd take him if Robbo thought he was a good fit and we could afford him. This would make our rumoured (fantasy) team...
              1. Teddy
              2. Toops
              3. Smith / Keighran
              4. Manu
              5. Suaalii
              6. Walker
              7. Keary
              8. JWH
              9. Brandon Smith (sorry Joey)
              10. Collins
              11. Crichton
              12. Sims
              13. Radley

14. Taupau
              15. SST
              16. Sitili
              17. Watson
              32 next year and i feel the Chooks have the front row role covered - JWH/SST/Collins/ Baker/Hau Tapuha /DSF(Not sure if staying as he hasn't played much this year) and Thomas if he gets a contract.

Manu is a key re-signing plus if they were looking at adding to the squad then outside backs would be the area.

24 players under contract for 2022 - not including the players on development contracts who may get promoted to the NRL squad list- Moala and Lani Graham- Taufa / Tuku Hau Tapuha/Naufahu Whyte -Plus Benny Marschke is listed as being on a development contract for 2021/22 - others Dale Copley(2021) and Extended Bench players - Abbey / Thomas and J Marschke

So 6 spots remain for the 30 player squad although this year 2021 the Chooks only had 28 players- possibly some in the 2022 squad may move on or be moved on at the end of this season?

1. Baker- FR
              2. N Butcher SR
              3. E Butcher- SR
              4. Collins- FR
              5. Crichton- SR
              6. Hutch- 5/8 and Half
              7. Ikuvaku- Wing
              8. Keary- 5/8 and Half
              9. Keighran- Utility
              10. Lam- 5/8/ Half/Dummy Half
              11. Lussick- Dummy Half
              12. Manu- Centre
              13. Radley- Lock
              14. Smith- Centre
              15. Suaalii - Centre
              16. DSF- FR
              17. SST- FR
              18. Tedesco- FB
              19. Toops- Wing
              20. Sitili- SR
              21. JWH- FR
              22. Verrills- Dummy Half
              23. Walker- Half
              24. Watson- Utility

Comment

Prob only room for one of him and Sims, not both. Either would make a great front row rotation from the bench (at the right price).

Comment

Originally posted by The Corner Post View Post
                  Prob only room for one of him and Sims, not both. Either would make a great front row rotation from the bench (at the right price).
                  I suspect the only reason we haven't announced Sims signing is we are waiting on NRL to formally sign off on the Friend and Cordner medical retirements. If that is true then we have a lot more money to spend than many of you are making out.

Comment

Personally I would rather Sims over Marty because I think Marty is going to want more $$$ in comparison and looking in from the outside, I can't see him blending in well. Sims has a bit of standing relationship with some of the NSW Origin boys in our squad and I'm sure at this point in his career he'd want to buy into a club and culture that is strong and a premiership contender. Marty on the other hand would probably be motivated on the basis on where can he get the most money from.

Sims > Marty

Comment

5 years ago yes. Nowadays no way.

Comment

Originally posted by dice View Post

I suspect the only reason we haven't announced Sims signing is we are waiting on NRL to formally sign off on the Friend and Cordner medical retirements. If that is true then we have a lot more money to spend than many of you are making out.
                        I'm interested how you know this? Does the NRL announce these things? Just wondering.

Comment

He was coming here a few years ago.
                          he wasn’t happy under Trent Barrett and was given permission to look elsewhere. He had basically agreed to come feeling it was the best chance of a premiership.
                          Once Hasler signed with Manly that all changed and was part of Hasler’s plans. He felt Hasler was a positive change he needed.

Great player but past his best now, back then I was looking forward to him in RWB but too old now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Corner Post View Post

I'm interested how you know this? Does the NRL announce these things? Just wondering.
                            I don't know for certain. Roosters were waiting on the medical retirement approval and I have not heard anything in the media since. It is usually announced in the media.

Nothing else makes any sense. There is no way we already pissed all the money for Friend, Cordner, JMoz, BMoz, still paying $180k for Flanagan, etc, on upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapn1 View Post
                              We have front rowers! I believe those two brothers from Brisbane are going to be MACHINE'S! If we miss Sims who plays on a edge for origin an would be perfect speedy middle man then leave it at that! Train the future
                              They are 17 & 15. It will likely be 3-5 years before we see them in the NRL squad.

Comment

Whats the chances he has a top game tonight?

Comment

Working...
                                X