No announcement yet.

Your best player encounters / chance meetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also met a few at the NRL season launch in 2014 when the club took a few of us over on a mini bus as part of the Ultimate Experience and we had our photo taken with the premiership trophy. I also met John Sutton that night as the friend I took grew up near him and he never liked her for supporting the Roosters over Souths.
    "The challenge remains due to an unchallengeable offence" - The Bunker

Comment

Had the pleasure of having a drink with Artie and Laurie Nicholls in the 80s for a couple of hours which I'll never forget.
      I was walking down past the DOG pub with my mother when I was a kid and Clive Churchill stopped me and asked if I could climb through the windows up above the pub because he had locked his keys in his room. I squeezed through the bars and got bitten by his Chihuahua dog but opened the door for him. He gave me his autograph on the back of a coaster and a lemon squash for my trouble, it felt pretty good breasting the bar.

Comment

I wish! Zero, zip, none.
        I’ve seen a few faiders players over the years though, but never met or stopped to chat.

Comment

Kerry Boustead almost ran a few of us over in his Datsun 180 B when crossing Driver Avenue - He stopped and opened his car door and kind of apologised - John Tobin in his Newsagency not a great experience as i said before.

I have sat next to Steve Sharp on the train a couple of times and used to see Sam Perrett at the railway station quite a few times too.

Comment

Met Johnny Peard when he was running a sports store out at Parramatta Westfield ( in the days when he played for the Parramatta side)

As part of a work/ client relationship , shook the hand of Paul Langmack (Dogs of War fame) on a Monday after the football had been played on the weekend.

His face was a mess - scratched and gouges all over it

And his hand was bruised and swollen.

I think I actually shook his hand too hard - he said "go easy mate"

These guys go through hell.

Comment

I also saw Chris Mortimer sitting down at a cafe in Milperra, having a snack.
              My girlfreind at the time was with me , and said something to the effect of "doesn't he look hunky"
              I felt jealous....
              When Mark McGaw was playing football, me and a mate spotted him at a nightclub called Carmen's , in Miranda , on a Saturday night.
              There was a flock of girls - must have been about 20 of them - circling him the whole night.
              Funny, that.

Comment

Artie and his wife came over to my Mum and Dad’s place for lunch one day - he was larger than life and a true Legend!

Comment

I was first aiding the seq schoolboys grand final last weekend. Great footy and a few guns coming thru.
                  I was chatting to Brian Canavan for the duration of the game. I was flattered that he remembered me from his time at the Roosters. I had a goal to get the roosters to their meet and greet when on the gold coast to come to my club The Nerang Roosters.
                  To top the day off the Wynum ground had an undercover area known as the chookpen
                  1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by roostermcgregor View Post
                    Met Johnny Peard when he was running a sports store out at Parramatta Westfield ( in the days when he played for the Parramatta side)

As part of a work/ client relationship , shook the hand of Paul Langmack (Dogs of War fame) on a Monday after the football had been played on the weekend.

His face was a mess - scratched and gouges all over it

And his hand was bruised and swollen.

I think I actually shook his hand too hard - he said "go easy mate"

These guys go through hell.
                    I used to stand outside and just stare at him as I was too shy to go in as teenage girl as I used to spend my school holidays at Rosehill with my older sister and her family so Parra Westfield was our local shopping centre. I told his sister this years later and we had a good laugh about it. I met Ray Higgs at Centrepoint Tavern on a Friday night back in the early 1990's and got to tell him how much my Dad admired him.

Speaking of Dads, I hope all the Roosters dads on here have a great Father's Day and for those of us like me who are without our dads these days, I hope you all have a good day too doing something nice for yourselves. I've just made breakfast so going to watch the Parra documentary on NRL.com about the 1986 grand final. Great shot of Artie on the website too.
                    "The challenge remains due to an unchallengeable offence" - The Bunker

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
                      I was first aiding the seq schoolboys grand final last weekend. Great footy and a few guns coming thru.
                      I was chatting to Brian Canavan for the duration of the game. I was flattered that he remembered me from his time at the Roosters. I had a goal to get the roosters to their meet and greet when on the gold coast to come to my club The Nerang Roosters.
                      To top the day off the Wynum ground had an undercover area known as the chookpen
                      Isn't he good ay!!! I remember one year Easts did a training session in Canberra that I got to watch (at the Kippax fields - super low-key). He sat next to me and had a ~15-20 minute (warn, free-flowing) chat. I'm pretty shy and awkward so I was feeling $1m bucks after that.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

Isn't he good ay!!! I remember one year Easts did a training session in Canberra that I got to watch (at the Kippax fields - super low-key). He sat next to me and had a ~15-20 minute (warn, free-flowing) chat. I'm pretty shy and awkward so I was feeling $1m bucks after that.
                        i was there too, he made his way around to all the supporters and gave everyone as much time as they wanted.

last year after a match at the sfs, the wife and I were waiting for a taxi, none were coming, so we wandered up the road a little and waited, then a slick looking Bentley slowly moved up next to us and wound down the window, and it was SBW driving

The wife was flipping out, we had a chat and got a photo, a few people started coming down and he said he better go, very cool that he pulled over.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
                          Lots of them but a memorable one was when The Brain took me to his friend’s place (who always had roosters players over) for a BBQ and I spent a couple of hours alone with Artie and Peard.
                          That was a good day. Peardy was funny and him and Artie had great stories ..funniest was you telling Finchy he was the best player in the comp for a shit stir..and his reply I am the worst ..im terrible.

Mine was in 1979 when we moved to crowns nest for a year and a bit.
                          My old man ran this big grocery /takeaway and mark Harris had a t shirt business above...I got to meet a lot of the old 75 players as evey week on Fridays players would gather there .plus became friends with Boston and David Micheals ..even ended up working fir him a bit.
                          Made the 79 GF shirts fir officials and fans.
                          Got a freebie bousted shirt called the Queensland express.
                          He always attributed the 74 and 75 sides success to Artie ..after I told him how good he was he said nah..all we had to do was follow and run off Artie..too easy.
                          Last edited by The Brain; 09-05-2021, 10:26 AM.
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by roostermcgregor View Post
                            I also saw Chris Mortimer sitting down at a cafe in Milperra, having a snack.
                            My girlfreind at the time was with me , and said something to the effect of "doesn't he look hunky"
                            I felt jealous....
                            When Mark McGaw was playing football, me and a mate spotted him at a nightclub called Carmen's , in Miranda , on a Saturday night.
                            There was a flock of girls - must have been about 20 of them - circling him the whole night.
                            Funny, that.
                            He was always there..
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post

That was a good day. Peardy was funny and him and Artie had great stories ..funniest was you telling Finchy he was the best player in the comp for a shit stir..and his reply I am the worst ..im terrible.

Mine was in 1979 when we moved to crowns nest for a year and a bit.
                              My old man ran this big grocery /takeaway and mark Harris had a t shirt business above...I got to meet a lot of the old 75 players as evey week on Fridays players would gather there .plus became friends with Boston and David Micheals ..even ended up working fir him a bit.
                              Made the 79 GF shirts fir officials and fans.
                              Got a freebie bousted shirt called the Queensland express.
                              He always attributed the 74 and 75 sides success to Artie ..after I told him how good he was he said nah..all we had to do was follow and run off Artie..too easy.
                              I have removed all reference to Finch from my memories.

Comment

Billy Wilson (Captain Blood) was the Publican at the local up on the Coast where we would drink after training and games when I was much younger around the late 80's early 90's.. For those who don't remember and love their history, Billy is worth a look up. Saints, Australian and Norths Front Row legend who played until he was forty and like a lot of those hard nuts of the day, was a truly lovely man.

Anyway, one night after training we call into the Pub and Billy is drinking in the corner with my all time favourite player Arthur. As I am up at the Bar ordering, Arthur looks me up and down and with a grin says "this young fella looks like a footballer, any ability Billy ?". Billy blatantly lied and said yes, and Arthur tells me to come and have a beer with him.

For the next 20 minutes Arthur good naturedly teased and took the piss out of me, and I walked away feeling like a million bucks. I remember thinking that there was a real goodness about Arthur. Something special. I feel very fortunate to have met him.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Chookpen Dads

Comment

Working...
                                X