Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4th spot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
    Fifth is what we want. Fourth is a death sentence.

    If we win tonight we should end up fifth because I expect Manly will be fourth and Parra sixth.

    Massive gane.
    Agree. Under the stupid top 8 system we have, if you don't finish 1st or 2nd, 5th is better. It's time to stop rewarding mediocrity and go to a top 6!

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by zac View Post

      the biggest positive is that you're guaranteed to be playing beyond the first week of the finals. finish fifth, sure you play a worse team but maybe you have an off day, get someone sent off, you lose and it's all over.
      but there are arguments both ways.
      Yeh that's true.

      I think I would rather play the titans or tigers on an off day and hopefully win and go into the next week versing a beaten top 4 team than losing to a top 4 team, possibly getting some more injuries and than have to verse a team coming off a win.

      Definately pros and cons for both sides of the argument.

      (Disclaimer: I don't know if versing is an actual word)

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Rooster89 View Post

        Yeh that's true.

        I think I would rather play the titans or tigers on an off day and hopefully win and go into the next week versing a beaten top 4 team than losing to a top 4 team, possibly getting some more injuries and than have to verse a team coming off a win.

        Definately pros and cons for both sides of the argument.

        (Disclaimer: I don't know if versing is an actual word)
        versing works for me

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

          Reality check.
          No 18 YO playing halfback in their rookie year has ever won a comp.
          The Chooks have been smashed by the top 3 teams this year.
          Semi final footy is different & Hughes, Munster, Cleary Luia & Reynolds, Walker have way to much class over our boy Walker.
          Im a big fan of Sam & when he puts on another 7 to 10kg of muscle & learns the NRL I can see him winning a comp at the Chooks so long as the Roosters continue to have top players around him.
          It would be a miracle.
          Sam Walker is 4th in line break assists and 2nd in try assists in the NRL , with only Cody Walker in front of him in both stats in above players mentioned.
          Not to many 18 year old rookie halfbacks could boast them sort of stats in there first year. Probably none
          Defensively he will need plenty of help but I'm not going to write us off yet....
          Last edited by Bondicigar; 08-01-2021, 06:15 AM.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post

            Reality check.
            No 18 YO playing halfback in their rookie year has ever won a comp.
            The Chooks have been smashed by the top 3 teams this year.
            Semi final footy is different & Hughes, Munster, Cleary Luia & Reynolds, Walker have way to much class over our boy Walker.
            Im a big fan of Sam & when he puts on another 7 to 10kg of muscle & learns the NRL I can see him winning a comp at the Chooks so long as the Roosters continue to have top players around him.
            The main issue isn’t that Walker has less class, because he has already shown plenty of patience, and that he can handle pressure, it’s the other part of what you wrote, that the other sides all have a dominant 5/8 still fit and healthy beside them.

            what a shame we never got to see keary and walker together, at the moment we have scored the 2nd most tries in the comp, and that is with the most disrupted halves pairing in the comp.

            with no injuries to the rest of the team, i think walker would of gone very close to being the youngest halfback to win the comp, but in saying that, if we were injury free, walker may have only been used as a backup and not been a regular starter.

            Comment


            • #51
              Ofcourse we want to finish 4th and have the chance for a week off. No team has won the GF from outside the top 4 since the NRL started in 1998. Talk about how it would be better to finish 5th is ridiculous.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by milanja View Post

                The main issue isn’t that Walker has less class, because he has already shown plenty of patience, and that he can handle pressure, it’s the other part of what you wrote, that the other sides all have a dominant 5/8 still fit and healthy beside them.

                what a shame we never got to see keary and walker together, at the moment we have scored the 2nd most tries in the comp, and that is with the most disrupted halves pairing in the comp.

                with no injuries to the rest of the team, i think walker would of gone very close to being the youngest halfback to win the comp, but in saying that, if we were injury free, walker may have only been used as a backup and not been a regular starter.
                nailed it on the head. young half backs won't win you a comp unless they're a freak like sam walker

                Comment


                • #53
                  I don’t disagree with Bondicigar, milanja or zac that Sammy is good & going to get better but there is no way the Chooks will match the top 3 sides come semi final football & be able to win the comp.
                  Would I like to see the Chooks win it with Walker & Hutch in the halves of course but I’ve watched to much in my life to know when the big games come along the big name experienced players in the halves win them. Even Manly have better more experienced halves who have played in GF’s.
                  Originally posted by OMR;n823956
                  You guys will soon be shot down by mickie lane for saying negative stuff about his much admired bunnies. So be gentle with your hatred for souffs as you might hurt his feelings too

                  Originally posted by The Sack;n823995

                  Watch out, you will get bombarded with gay and animal porn now. One sick individual.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                    I don’t disagree with Bondicigar, milanja or zac that Sammy is good & going to get better but there is no way the Chooks will match the top 3 sides come semi final football & be able to win the comp.
                    Would I like to see the Chooks win it with Walker & Hutch in the halves of course but I’ve watched to much in my life to know when the big games come along the big name experienced players in the halves win them. Even Manly have better more experienced halves who have played in GF’s.
                    you're probably right. we don't have the team to be favourites this year. but we do have a team to be there or thereabouts if the other teams stumble. but atm i'm not thinking of all of that - that's a long way away

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                      I don’t disagree with Bondicigar, milanja or zac that Sammy is good & going to get better but there is no way the Chooks will match the top 3 sides come semi final football & be able to win the comp.
                      Would I like to see the Chooks win it with Walker & Hutch in the halves of course but I’ve watched to much in my life to know when the big games come along the big name experienced players in the halves win them. Even Manly have better more experienced halves who have played in GF’s.
                      I don’t think we can win it realistically either, but do you think keary and walker would have matched the other halves pairings?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by zac View Post

                        nailed it on the head. young half backs won't win you a comp unless they're a freak like sam walker
                        Jahrome Hughes at Melb wasn’t exactly a first choice halfback
                        ..it’ll be interesting to see

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Mickie Lane View Post
                          I don’t disagree with Bondicigar, milanja or zac that Sammy is good & going to get better but there is no way the Chooks will match the top 3 sides come semi final football & be able to win the comp.
                          Would I like to see the Chooks win it with Walker & Hutch in the halves of course but I’ve watched to much in my life to know when the big games come along the big name experienced players in the halves win them. Even Manly have better more experienced halves who have played in GF’s.
                          All so true .I'm sure we probably won't win the comp but it's nice to dream.As long as we keep being competitive and not getting flogged I will be quite happy with this year

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by ccfc bondi View Post

                            Agree. Under the stupid top 8 system we have, if you don't finish 1st or 2nd, 5th is better. It's time to stop rewarding mediocrity and go to a top 6!
                            I liked the old system where 1 plays 8 and the top-4 all get a home fine. However oh no... it was such an outrage when Wayne Bennett's (pretty much undefeated) team lost to #8 in round 1... got another chance and then still failed. Nope no chance that was poor prep/coaching! Rules had to change as it was an outrage that 2 underdogs won (even though the final result was 'no result' anyway as the eventual 'winners' were systematically cheating).

                            Meh. The system is what it is. I still think 4th is better than 5th coz you get a shot at beating #1 and then a second chance.

                            This year the comp is such that only 2 teams look like likely premiers. However, in tighter years you definitely want that second chance (as we would this year! Losing 1st week then getting a shot at a 5-8 team ain't bad... beating #1 and stealing their path to the finals is even better).

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by The Skeez View Post
                              Jahrome Hughes at Melb wasn’t exactly a first choice halfback
                              chad robinson doesn't strike fear into opponents either. still, hughes has really improved

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by GT3370 View Post

                                All so true .I'm sure we probably won't win the comp but it's nice to dream.As long as we keep being competitive and not getting flogged I will be quite happy with this year
                                Im with ya mate.
                                Originally posted by OMR;n823956
                                You guys will soon be shot down by mickie lane for saying negative stuff about his much admired bunnies. So be gentle with your hatred for souffs as you might hurt his feelings too

                                Originally posted by The Sack;n823995

                                Watch out, you will get bombarded with gay and animal porn now. One sick individual.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X