Manu Contract Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlamingRooster View Post
    a lot of you are forgetting that these gys know their career is short. this isn't about being a snake or being disloyal, its about doing whats best for them. if a club comes forward with 1 million, your taking that contract.
    Agree and disagree, players obviously know their career is short but think money means less to the newer generation of player and they’re a lot more conscious of legacy and career progression when weighing up their decision.

Latrell had a million sitting on the table at Wests for him but took similar money to what we were offering at Souths because he knows from a career progression stand point he gets to play fullback and from a legacy stand point there’s a lot of synergy there with their pre-existing focus on indigenous communities and players.

That’s not to say money isn’t a factor, it’s still the primary motivator but not the sole motivator and certainly seems to be less important these days to players.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
      RTS left and his career went south, Manu would be wrong to go to a lesser club just for the sake of a bit of money. I reckon he'll re-sign as will Angus.
      RTS was already a premiership winner, made plenty of coin. and will now probably more than likely be an all black with World Cup possibility.

I think he knows he made the right choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Agree and disagree, players obviously know their career is short but think money means less to the newer generation of player and they’re a lot more conscious of legacy and career progression when weighing up their decision.

Latrell had a million sitting on the table at Wests for him but took similar money to what we were offering at Souths because he knows from a career progression stand point he gets to play fullback and from a legacy stand point there’s a lot of synergy there with their pre-existing focus on indigenous communities and players.

That’s not to say money isn’t a factor, it’s still the primary motivator but not the sole motivator and certainly seems to be less important these days to players.
        i see where ur coming from but latrell is a very different issue. hehad the tigers and the roosters offer pulled from him cause he had an attitude problem. manu is clean as a whistle when it comes to his attitude and maybe the roosters will offer him north of 800. but the thing is that, even on your point if the broncs or more likely the warriors come forward with a million and offer to play 5/8 r fullback, hed be a full not to take it, hell id be angry if he didnt. id hold no ill will and id hope most on this forum wouldnt either. yes hes chasing money, but hes looking out for himself and as you say his legacy. apart from meninga, are there any greats that come to mind that played centre?

Comment

i see where ur coming from but latrell is a very different issue. hehad the tigers and the roosters offer pulled from him cause he had an attitude problem. manu is clean as a whistle when it comes to his attitude and maybe the roosters will offer him north of 800. but the thing is that, even on your point if the broncs or more likely the warriors come forward with a million and offer to play 5/8 r fullback, hed be a full not to take it, hell id be angry if he didnt. id hold no ill will and id hope most on this forum wouldnt either. yes hes chasing money, but hes looking out for himself and as you say his legacy. apart from meninga, are there any greats that come to mind that played centre?
          I don’t know Manu well enough to say this with any certainty, I can only hypothesise over the man we get to see in small snippets through interviews, his actions and the words of those who know the man but he seems to be someone who has a strong sense of pride in belonging. Be that his family, his heritage, hometown Tokoroa or the Roosters there’s a strong sense of loyalty about they way he holds himself and the decisions he makes. So it wouldn’t surprise me if he moved back to New Zealand, equally it wouldn’t surprise me if stayed with the Roosters, I think there’s strong pulls for him there from both options however I don’t any other side is a realistic option.

Legacy can mean many things, it doesn’t just have to mean being revered as a great player in your position or within the game. For Mitchell Aubusson, his legacy was being a one club man, a true club legend whose legacy will live on for decades in many Roosters fans hearts whilst he will never be mentioned as a great in any position by the wider public. That was enough for Maubs to take less to stay and I think Joey Manu shares very similar values and beliefs to that, I’ve heard Robinson and Cronk talk continuously about his unselfish acts and unquestioned willingness to do what’s best for the team at times to the detriment of his own ability to stand out individually.

Comment

Bob Fulton, Reg Gasnier ...immortals ?

I get what your saying, and I'd wish him well and say thanks for his time as a Rooster' whilst at the same time being extremely disappointed to see him in other colours..... but I just dont get why some players dont want to be known as a great centre.
            Joey is like RTS ...very difficult to dislike because of their demeanour and off field behaviour.... but as already stated, they are professonals and have limited time to make their career money

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

Reckon he took less? Think again
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post

Reckon he took less? Think again
                At the time I remember the media suggested that he'd taken less than $800k. Wouldn't surprise me (although he'd be on way more now).

Manu? His career, his decision. Unlike Latrell, IMO he's actually better suited to FB. Robbo calls him our 'second fullback' when discussing the team and that's how we're going. IMO our thinking would be along the lines of:
                - Throw $$$ at him and put him in a position where staying is an attractive option.
                - He'll decide by himself (and be classy about it - like RTS was).
                - If he stays then that's awesome!
                - If he doesn't then Suaalii's development gets fast-tracked.

To me it's not worth losing sleep over this kinda thing. I've been dumped and cheated on enough times in my life to know that you can't change somebody's mind once it's been made up. If something's more exciting to somebody and they don't value the relationship you've invested in building with them then it's best to just turn your back and walk away.

Rant I know, but my life became a loooot easier the day I developed the following responses for ex's...
                1) 'Can we just be friends?' - Answer: 'no, goodbye'
                2) 'Can we talk?' - Answer: 'no, goodbye'

Many have gotten p!ssed off at that approach coz they either wanna go out with a rant or use the opportunity to try and prove they've already moved on. I just don't find discussions of this nature productive. To me Uncle Nick was similar with 'Trell... test whether they're in or out and then focus on those who are in. To me it's nothing personal. While it's sad to see some people go, you simply can't buy love (so there's no point trying coz you'll only end up wasting your time & getting upset).
                Last edited by ism22; 08-03-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post

Bob Fulton, Reg Gasnier ...immortals ?

I get what your saying, and I'd wish him well and say thanks for his time as a Rooster' whilst at the same time being extremely disappointed to see him in other colours..... but I just dont get why some players dont want to be known as a great centre.
                  Joey is like RTS ...very difficult to dislike because of their demeanour and off field behaviour.... but as already stated, they are professonals and have limited time to make their career money
                  We can add Dally Messenger, Steve Rogers, Dave Brown and probably a ton of others to that centre list as well!

Comment

A lot of these players would be doing what if not footballers though ?- they are very well paid - even a player on 100k is getting more than a lot of other folk putting in 40 hours plus a week 48 weeks or so a year

All this I have to look after myself and family and career earning span is short is a tad over played as they are not 60 odd and retiring when they finish footy as they do have 30 odd years of work if they so wish to undertake - if you have a 10 year NRL even earning an average 300k and have money sense you will finish owning your home outright and money in the bank.

If you can string a few words together you could have a career post footy on Fox /9 or on the Radio and if not the club may find you a job at the club or via one of the sponsors or supporters - clubs do provide funds for education - Uni or TAFE - So the opportunities are there to prepare for life post footy which not many other folk have.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                      A lot of these players would be doing what if not footballers though ?- they are very well paid - even a player on 100k is getting more than a lot of other folk putting in 40 hours plus a week 48 weeks or so a year

All this I have to look after myself and family and career earning span is short is a tad over played as they are not 60 odd and retiring when they finish footy as they do have 30 odd years of work if they so wish to undertake - if you have a 10 year NRL even earning an average 300k and have money sense you will finish owning your home outright and money in the bank.

If you can string a few words together you could have a career post footy on Fox /9 or on the Radio and if not the club may find you a job at the club or via one of the sponsors or supporters - clubs do provide funds for education - Uni or TAFE - So the opportunities are there to prepare for life post footy which not many other folk have.
                      I may be wrong but heard somewhere base wage for top squad players is $150k. More than many of us will see in our lifetimes p.a.

Comment

Hasn't the internet already made up Joey's decision for him ?
                        The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                        Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                        sigpic

Comment

According to Buzz we are going after Brandon Smith, he's on contract until 2022, so i guess we are chasing him for 2023.

I cant see us getting Brandon Smith, keeping players like Rads, Walker, etc. and keeping Manu.

Also, when Roger left us he was lined up to be our long term fullback (it was a shock he left). Manu isn't, he's behind Teddy, so I can easily see him leave us for a full time fullback position.

I can see the Dog or Tigers paying Manu $1M plus.

Comment

I can see the Dog or Tigers paying Manu $1M plus

agreed, and that is why they are where they are.

manu is neither a fulltime fb nor fulltime 5/8 th, he is a worldclass centre who can fill these spots admirably short term , not long term, as another poster pointed out.

kotoni staggs, is another classy centre , who is kidding himself if he thinks he is a fulltime 5/8th, a poor mans wighton , and wighton is playing crap.

Comment

Originally posted by The Corner Post View Post
                              According to Buzz we are going after Brandon Smith, he's on contract until 2022, so i guess we are chasing him for 2023.

I cant see us getting Brandon Smith, keeping players like Rads, Walker, etc. and keeping Manu.

Also, when Roger left us he was lined up to be our long term fullback (it was a shock he left). Manu isn't, he's behind Teddy, so I can easily see him leave us for a full time fullback position.

I can see the Dog or Tigers paying Manu $1M plus.
                              I dont think he'll go to another sydney club. He has won his premerships.
                              It's us or the warriors.

Comment

Rumour Mill

Brandon Smith is the subject of a three-way tug-of-war with the Roosters, Bulldogs and Storm all looking to secure his services. The Roosters are favourites. Joey Manu is expected to knock back a million dollar offer from the New Zealand Warriors.
                                NICK TEDESCHI wraps up the week in rugby league in From The Couch. PVL Saves The Day Again Saturday loomed as a complete disaster when all three NRL games were cancelled with Queensland entering a snap lockdown. The Queensland Government acted with a heavy hand declaring no professional sport would be played for three days. […]
                                ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Working...
                                X