Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew Hutchison Article

Playmaking Chook Drew Hutchison opens up about rib-shattering hit

“I couldn’t really talk. Getting oxygen was really tough. I knew something was wrong.”

Ed Carmine

WRITER
    June 17, 2021

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 07: Drew Hutchison of the Roosters reacts after a tackle during the round nine NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the Sydney Roosters at Bankwest Stadium on May 07, 2021, in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

In the wake of the bone jarring, late hit that has seen him remained sidelined since Round 9, Drew Hutchison has opened up about his the internal damage he suffered in the Roosters loss to the Eels.
    As Hutchison dived toward the try-line during the May 7 clash, his opposite number, Parramatta’s Dylan Brown, drove his knees into the former Dragon’s ribcage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Although the four-pointer was eventually disallowed, neither party escaped without punishment.

In Brown’s case, he was sentenced to a three week suspension, however, for Hutchison, the damage was much worse.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – JUNE 16: Drew Hutchison of the Roosters celebrates after scoring a try during the round 14 NRL match between the Sydney Roosters and the Canterbury Bulldogs at the Sydney Cricket Ground on June 16, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)
    Speaking with the The Sydney Morning Herald, the 26-year-old half explained that the highly publicized incident that played out in the Bankwest Stadium in-goal area left him unable to breathe.

SEE ALSO: NRL considering restrictions for Roosters following COVID outbreak

ADVERTISEMENT

“During the game I fractured three ribs and punctured my lung,” Hutchison said.

”It happened quite quickly. The shortage of breath, that’s what got me the most.

“I was in discomfort when it first happened, as you can see from the look on my face. I was just struggling. I could hardly talk. It’s hard to explain; it’s like getting winded and it never gets better, you feel yourself getting worse.

“I couldn’t get comfortable at all, it was quite awkward.

“The shortage of breath, that’s what got me the most.

“It definitely had that feeling of being winded and then it got progressively worse. I couldn’t really talk; getting oxygen was really tough. I knew something was wrong.”

Straight after the sickening hit, the Wollongong-born product received oxygen treatment before being rushed to Westmead hospital for a stay that lasted nigh-on a week.

Scarily for Hutchison and his family, the Rooster’s lungs collapsed again whilst under medical supervision.

“The second time when it collapsed, I had to have a procedure to make sure it would stay up,” he said.

“Ever since then it’s been good, I’ve got no complaints with it.”

Despite punters and pundits labelling Brown’s effort anything from ‘weak’ to a ‘dog shot’, Hutchison divulged that he held no grudge towards the 20-year-old.
    SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA – MARCH 29: Dylan Brown of the Eels Is tackled by Luke Keary of the Roosters during the round three NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium on March 29, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
    “[Brown] sent me a message,” he said.

“You could tell he was very sorry and remorseful. I don’t think he went out there to purposely injure me or anything like that.

“I think he just had one of those moments; I think everyone has a moment, a brain explosion.

“He has served his punishment, he’s done his time. I’m sure he’s had his time to think about it.

“It’s all good, there’s no issue there. If you think you’re going to play this game and never get injured, you’re a bit naive. It’s definitely all sweet.”

SEE ALSO: NRL investigating Roosters forward following alleged flight incident

Even though Hutchison’s ailments are close to fully healed, he still remains out of contract with with the eastern suburbs club, however, Hutchison is expected to return for the Chooks in the coming weeks.

Might be hard to get another Gigg in 2022 although I hope he does - Chooks have a few youngsters they will need to lock up as well i.e Volkman/ Sandon Smith from Jersey Flegg for instance- both 5/8 and Halves
    Last edited by King Salvo; 06-21-2021, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Hutch sounds like such a good bloke. Deserves a deal next season for sure. 3 weeks for Brown shows a broken judiciary/grading system. Disgusting.

Comment

No mention of when he's returning.
        Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Gutsy bugger, well done to him. I hope he gets another chance.

Comment

> As Hutchison dived toward the try-line during the May 7 clash, his opposite number, Parramatta’s Dylan Brown, drove his knees into the former Dragon’s ribcage.

> Straight after the sickening hit, the Wollongong-born product received oxygen treatment before being rushed to Westmead hospital for a stay that lasted nigh-on a week.

> ...he still remains out of contract with with the eastern suburbs club, however, Hutchison is expected to return for the Chooks in the coming weeks.

---

LOL they really don't want him to be a Roosters player ay!

Comment

Good Luck to Drew. Was having his best year in the NRL and that arsehole destroyed all of that. Terrible injury. I can’t imagine what it’s going to take for him to get his confidence back to take a hit around that area.

Comment

Dylan Brown has topped my shitlist, followed by kaufusi, papalii and then munster with his stupid strom team.

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post
                  Dylan Brown has topped my shitlist, followed by kaufusi, papalii and then munster with his stupid strom team.
                  Rapana is a first class flog also

Comment

Ban ribs tackles. They could puncture lungs.

I hope he makes a full recovery and score the winning points when we win the GF this year.
                    ..it’ll be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
                      Might be hard to get another Gigg in 2022 although I hope he does - Chooks have a few youngsters they will need to lock up as well i.e Volkman/ Sandon Smith from Jersey Flegg for instance- both 5/8 and Halves
                      You cant have all 18 YO. Hutch would be someone Id be holding onto. Wouldnt surprise me if Hutch down the track ends up on the Roosters coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by stringaz View Post
                        You mean No Cody Walker?
                        What about everyones other favourite Jerome Luai.

Comment

Originally posted by Easts75 View Post

Rapana is a first class flog also
                          Yeah he always gets a good response on the Chookpen.

Comment

I love The Hutch.

Was going great guns. Can’t wait to see him back. Nothing flashy but very solid.

Comment

"Born in the Gong, played for Illawarra, wasn't born in Bondi, didn't debut with Easts, probably supports the Dragons, can't be a legitimate Rooster, didn't break enough ribs to stay under the salary cap".

Hutch has shown himself to be worthy of inclusion in the players that are bona fide Roosters players. Every single reporter introduces an article on Easts with a compulsory subliminal description of how the player was not born inside the offices of the Sydney City Council. P*ss of presstitutes.

Go Easts!

Go Hutch!

Comment

Working...
                              X