The state of Knights stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The state of Knights stadium

I thought I heard in radio that the roosters complained at halftime to the NRL ground manager about the state of the stadium. I haven’t read anywhere anything about this! Has anyone else heard the same thing? Or was it just me?

It was in an article in the DT. I'm not a subscriber, but here's the opening blurb:

Roosters raised ground concerns before crippling injuries

Ground staff were replacing divots during the Knights v Roosters match last weekend but the NRL denies the poor surface caused the crippling injuries to Brett Morris and Lindsay Collins.

Edit:
    I read the article when I got coffee. Apparently both the Knights and the Jets were denied access to the stadium to train at times in the recent weeks before the match because of the state of the ground. The farms in Windsor were they get the turf when they do replacements have been under water due to the recent flooding, and they couldn't do the repairs they wanted to. Naturally, the NRL denies the state of the ground had any influence on the injuries to BMoz or Lindsay.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-07-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Of course NRL would deny it. Imagine the legal repercussions.

Comment

Roosters complained about state of McDonald Jones Stadium before two season-ending injuries

Ground staff were replacing divots at halftime of the Knights v Roosters match last weekend but the NRL denies the surface caused Brett Morris and Lindsay Collins’ ACL agony.

The Sydney Roosters complained to NRL officials about the state of the playing surface at McDonalds Jones Stadium last weekend shortly before winger Brett Morris and front-rower Lindsay Collins were carried off with their season-ending ACL injuries.

News Corp can reveal the Roosters’ medical staff raised concerns about huge divots in the surface during the first half of the game against the Knights and that a complaint was made to the NRL’s ground manager, who included it in his official match report.

Ground staff replaced the divots during the half-time break but the Roosters raised further concerns during the second-half.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Even the Roosters’ head trainer had to repair divots during the game during breaks in play.

“There were big chunks coming up,” coach Trent Robinson said.

“Our medical guys mentioned it. Our trainer had to replace some of the divots while he was on the field.”

The NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley has confirmed complaints were made by the Roosters but denies the poor surface caused the crippling injuries.

“We were aware of some issues on the night,” Annesley said.

“We’ve since asked for a full report from the venue manager about the maintenance and renovation work that they’ve since undertaken.

“The Knights don’t have a home game for three weeks but we’ll be inspecting the ground before their next game takes place.

“The injuries were extremely unfortunate but it would be wrong to blame the surface.”

News Corp understands both the Newcastle Knights and the Newcastle Jets A-League team have been denied access to the stadium at various times since March because of the poor conditions.

Repair work was supposed to be carried out weeks ago but was delayed by Sydney’s recent floods. Farms in Windsor that supply the turf were under water.

“The stadium has adopted some precautionary measures to minimise unnecessary traffic on the field,” Annesley said.

“That’s included the Knights and the Jets being denied access to the field for captain’s runs and warm-ups.

“They’ve been managing it the best they can and now have a three-week gap to get it right.”

The Newcastle Knights are monitoring the situation.

“We’re awaiting a report from the NRL on the surface,” said a spokesman from the Newcastle Knights.

“We’ll assist in any way we can to ensure the field meets requirements for NRL games.”

The stadium in Newcastle is under the care of Venues NSW.

A source at McDonald Jones Stadium said the turf was in good condition and that the Newcastle Jets would train at the venue on Friday ahead of their match on the weekend
        Originally posted by jism
        I saw Reynolds crying in front of me after the game and yelled out 'WHAT ARE YOU CRYING ABOUT?!?!? GO SAY SORRY TO COOPER YOU GRUB!!!' He looked up at me with a pretty broken looking face.

Comment

Bankwest last year after Radley and Verrills ACL's - nothing wrong with it and it's been inspected 100% fine etc - A week or so later they take up the turf and lay new turf - go figure

Comment

No wonder the knights played soft, probably didn't want to wreck themselves.

Comment

If the surface was bad, why didn't the knoughts get any ACL injuries? Terrible luck for BMoz and Collins.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                If the surface was bad, why didn't the knoughts get any ACL injuries? Terrible luck for BMoz and Collins.
                Because they are a bunch of lazy bastards with no ticker..unlike our team..fancy not being able to stop a team of 11 men.
                "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

makes sense. all things being equal having 2 guys do an acl in the same game is maybe 1 in 200. the state of the ground is suspect number 1

Comment

This is deeply troubling to learn considering the consequences for Brett and Lindsay.

Comment

The field was probably shyte, but both busted their ACLs during hard tackles. S*x and the ground shoulda been better but IMO the ground didn't play a role in these injuries.

Originally posted by redwhiteblue View Post

Because they are a bunch of lazy bastards with no ticker..unlike our team..fancy not being able to stop a team of 11 men.
                      Yeah... I hate the guy but that's exactly what WYne had to say about Souffs. He was dismissive of Cook's 'injury' and made it very clear that they didn't play hard enough to pickup injuries.

IMO Skeletor probably had us in the back of his mind when considering that effort. So long as we show up with the same attitude we had against our 20-4 loss to the Drizz then I don't give a fark if we get beaten. I'd much prefer that over watching a team that doesn't give a rats about its fans & legacy...
                      Last edited by ism22; 05-07-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                        The field was probably shyte, but both busted their ACLs during hard tackles. S*x and the ground shoulda been better but IMO the ground didn't play a role in these injuries.

Yeah... I hate the guy but that's exactly what WYne had to say about Souffs. He was dismissive of Cook's 'injury' and made it very clear that they didn't play hard enough to pickup injuries.

IMO Skeletor probably had us in the back of his mind when considering that effort. So long as we show up with the same attitude we had against our 20-4 loss to the Drizz then I don't give a fark if we get beaten. I'd much prefer that over watching a team that doesn't give a rats about its fans & legacy...
                        I meant Newcastle being the lazy ones in front of that huge home crowd of theirs..
                        "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                        Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

This is most unfortunate.

I remember attending our game against Manly at Brookvale early in 2019 and someone got injured (I think it might have been BMoz then too - I cannot remember). I recall the ground surface playing a part then too. That place doesn't surprise me, but I expected more at Marathon Stadium.
                          MRR or Rabid

Some people believe supporting the Roosters
                          is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed
                          with that attitude. I can assure you it is
                          much, much more important than that.

(1981 Bill Shankly quote variation)

Comment

Suncorp isn't going to be in a great condition by the time we play on Saturday night in the 5th game on magic round.
                            The league goes on about player welfare yet decides that it's a good idea to play 8 games over 3 days on one venue.
                            The way injuries are increasing in this sport teams are going to need squads of 35 to 40 players to get through a season.

Comment

"Repair work was supposed to be carried out weeks ago but was delayed by Sydney’s recent floods."
                              “The injuries were extremely unfortunate but it would be wrong to blame the surface.”

How can Annesley say that? If the surface had no issues, why was repair work needed?

Irrational gibberish from the NRL, that has now blown over and been forgotten about.

Comment

Working...
                              X