Sitili - a luxury we can't afford?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitili - a luxury we can't afford?

There is so much to love about our team, however, I just don't love Sitili's contribution. Robbo clearly does and it's possible that holding that opinion, I focus too much on him and become overly critical. It's also possible that I simply don't know what I'm talking about!

It's just that in games like the one last night, I'd like to see him to roll up his sleeves and take a few more carries. And in defence, the amount of times he misses the mark, then just turns his back and ambles back to where the action is, rather than putting in the big ones to get there and help snuff out a dangerous situation really irks me. Watch the highlights and you'll see him jogging along behind most of Melbourne's raids.

He's been in and around the team for a few years now and with Walker defending on his side of the field, to me he should now be seen as the senior lead in our right-side defence. I'd like to see him own it. Whereas it looks as though he thinks he has the luxury of time to 'develop'.

Is that being harsh on Sitili or do others see the same things?

No one loved Collins contributions about 2 years ago. Now he’s the future. Sitili has great speed to hit the defensive line but he needs to be able to hold on to the ball. Perhaps a few more kgs wouldn’t hurt him so he can be like The Sofa and look mean. Getting rid of him would be bad news.

Comment

The only thing I don’t love about Sitili is his defence. And next to lazy Manu who can’t tackle and little Sammy we need a strong defender. I do love Sitili’s energy but he could get a bit more involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
        The only thing I don’t love about Sitili is his defence. And next to lazy Manu who can’t tackle and little Sammy we need a strong defender. I do love Sitili’s energy but he could get a bit more involved.
        Sitili cost us the first try for sure,he is ok in attack,but his defence was almost non existing, Manu has to learn to pass the ball to his winger faster not always pull the defence in and give flick pass because it doesn't always work and the winger runs out of room by the time he gets the ball ,if he gets the ball at all..Butchers contribution is very minimal and I honestly cannot see what Robbo sees in him.
        We are really missing Friend's defence in the middle and he must be replaced by a good defensive hooker.
        The refereeing was very one sided ,and a knock on leading up to the last try was missed by the referee,but even the slightest infringement by us was penalised,the Storm players were laying all over our tackled players , but no action was taken by the officials.
        All in all it was a hard game that with a full team we would have most probably won,but unfortunately we will not have our top team on the field for a while.

Comment

If we had Cords fit, this wouldnt be a discussion..............

Comment

Last night he lined them up in defence big time. I liked it.

Comment

Sitili is doing his best and like all players last night have room for improvement on all facets of their game and as a team- too many errors and missed tackles is not only an individual trait but a team trait during this game and others and needs to be addressed at training/game reviews - can't win games if you have only 44 or 46 % possession(Fox and 9 have different %) / completion rate of 70% and 55 missed tackles no matter who you are.

I remember in the early 90's when Brisbane were dominant the opposition team would have to have 56% possession rate to be chance of beating them- so basically saying if you have less than 50% of possession your not going to win many if any games against quality opposition - you might get away with it against lesser opponents maybe only.
              Last edited by King Salvo; 04-17-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Am I missing something? His defence last night was immense.

I agree his output in attack let's him down as a second rower and that's what he needs to work on. What's out of his control and a little unfortunate is that every good 2nd rower has a better half inside of them and neither Crichton or Tupouniua are getting great service at the moment so both are far less effective in attack.

Not Walker or Hutchinson's fault, this is just the reality of building new combinations with a new set of halves. Will take time, reality is all or good edge combos cam off Luke Keary. James Tedesco has never been that type of player and any one of Lam/Huthcinson/Keighran/Walker will take time to find their feet and build those combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Intercept View Post
                  There is so much to love about our team, however, I just don't love Sitili's contribution. Robbo clearly does and it's possible that holding that opinion, I focus too much on him and become overly critical. It's also possible that I simply don't know what I'm talking about!

It's just that in games like the one last night, I'd like to see him to roll up his sleeves and take a few more carries. And in defence, the amount of times he misses the mark, then just turns his back and ambles back to where the action is, rather than putting in the big ones to get there and help snuff out a dangerous situation really irks me. Watch the highlights and you'll see him jogging along behind most of Melbourne's raids.

He's been in and around the team for a few years now and with Walker defending on his side of the field, to me he should now be seen as the senior lead in our right-side defence. I'd like to see him own it. Whereas it looks as though he thinks he has the luxury of time to 'develop'.

Is that being harsh on Sitili or do others see the same things?
                  Yea I agree I think sitili is better suited in shorter bursts rather then playing the full 80. He tends to give away penalties when under fatigue and his defence is shabby at times but I do like him I like his energy when he comes off the bench and runs hard at tired players.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
                    No one loved Collins contributions about 2 years ago. Now he’s the future. Sitili has great speed to hit the defensive line but he needs to be able to hold on to the ball. Perhaps a few more kgs wouldn’t hurt him so he can be like The Sofa and look mean. Getting rid of him would be bad news.
                    100% agree here ! Manu, trell,toupo an now walker ,every player learns some more than most an those 1z you hang onto like sitilli

Comment

Sitili is either going to make a break and pull out a fantastic pass to set up a try or he's going to drop it or throw a bad one. Big Artie was the same. The name of the game is to score tries, so we need someone like him in there to make breaks. They're not coming too often in big games.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                        Am I missing something? His defence last night was immense.

I agree his output in attack let's him down as a second rower and that's what he needs to work on. What's out of his control and a little unfortunate is that every good 2nd rower has a better half inside of them and neither Crichton or Tupouniua are getting great service at the moment so both are far less effective in attack.

Not Walker or Hutchinson's fault, this is just the reality of building new combinations with a new set of halves. Will take time, reality is all or good edge combos cam off Luke Keary. James Tedesco has never been that type of player and any one of Lam/Huthcinson/Keighran/Walker will take time to find their feet and build those combinations.
                        Yeah, it's possible. Zero Tackle credits him with 8 missed tackles against the Storm. He did pull off 2 enormous hits and maybe that's what stands out in your mind? Anyway, not hating on the guy. I have enjoyed watching him since he burst onto the scene in the U20s. I want him to succeed. I just don't feel he has kicked on in the past couple of years. But as I indicated, it's Robbo's opinion that counts and he obviously rates Sitili very highly. That means he's probably a lot better than I think he is. He'll probably be man of the match in the Anzac Day game.

Comment

give it a couple seasons of constant development and he will be one of the most destructive second rowers in the nrl.

kikau for example is only coming into his own now and hes 26 years old, sitili is still a few years from that and is better than he was at that age.

he has improved massively from the start of last year. vs the storm he hit hard and broke tackles, very promising signs.
                          Last edited by RoosterFanNZ; 04-18-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

He can’t tackle.

Comment

He can hit hard in defence but looks like he has some flaws in his tackling technique
                              He missed a tackle on our try line and led to a Storm try - hit the storm player with his shoulder , but the storm player bounced off , kept going and scored. Sitili failed to wrap him up.
                              Similar situation last year against the Storm- Jarome Hughes went straight through a hole, between Sitili and Ice

Comment

Working...
                              X